Theory of the WC universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is my point of view.

The reasons why WC stopped selling good are these reasons

Whoever made the boxes and the information such as manuals etc etc, wanted to make them cheaper therefore removing alot of the things included spcehs of ships and so on the limitied it to "manuals, the game"

failed advertisment, due to improper advertisment they failed to show up the games for the community (potential buyers of the game) well WCP had far superior grafix than any other games released the only games that could compete was Descent2, and Freespace

My conclusion: The reason why WC was scrapped, was the combination of making the package diluted, and incompetent personell advertising the game

Wrong. They scrapped WC because EA figured, why spend money on a dying genre? At the time, MMP's were the money maker's. AKA: everquest, ::spits on floor::, and ultima online. So, they decided to pool most of their resources into that area. Now that the fantasy rpg online genre is beginning to fade out, we may see a resurgence of combat flight sims. We can only hope!

Space combat will be back :)
It has to be, since it kicks so much azz ;) Personally though I see something really revoloutionart happening with it to get it back

Privateer Online was cancelled because Westwood has been developing Earth & Beyond for the past 4 years. EA is not going to compete with itself, and recent space sims have sold so poorly, there's really no room for more than one.

Considering the cost of WC4 it's a wonder we even got Prophecy.

EA aren't stupid (no matter what some of us think) and if a right time comes along, they may start on a new WC game. The WC name alone wouldn't be enough though, the market would need to be ripe.

Originally posted by Dak
Considering the cost of WC4 it's a wonder we even got Prophecy.

EA aren't stupid (no matter what some of us think) and if a right time comes along, they may start on a new WC game. The WC name alone wouldn't be enough though, the market would need to be ripe.

All your cash are belong to ea to have WC game.

Prophecy wasn't nearly as expensive as WC4 was. WC4 had many, many more sets than prophecy, and used a lot of stand-ins.

Well even if WC4 killed off the series I for one am glad it was made, its my favourite damnit ;-)
I wonder what EAs reaction would be if the fans said to them one day:
Right heres VS its finished and looks superb you can have it to make a WC game
For their university project these students created sets for a WC style carrier
Eder and Wildcat etc just produced some amazingly detailed ships that look like they belong in the WCP era
Pettracha just started begging for food

Will you PLEASE make a new WC game now? ;)

Know what the worst bit it? Its not that horribly far fetched that we could organise that with some real effort and they'd still say no.

I seriously doubt with Origin gone EA will take on the WC franchise again, I believe our best chances lie with Space Combat taking off again and someone buying the rights :)

Originally posted by Bishop Gantry

My conclusion: The reason why WC was scrapped, was the combination of making the package diluted, and incompetent personell advertising the game

Sounds about right...

Originally posted by Supdon3
The theory is flawed since WC has never sold poorly.
But were they profitable? I find it hard to believe that EA would suspend a *profitable* game series. Most companies will run a successful series into the ground.

WCIV didn't kill WC. EA killed WC. Right now, you, me an the rest of us could be addicted to WC Online / Privateer Online like people on Everquest or Crack Cocaine. But no, they couldn't allow that or even multiplayer Prophecy. Yeesh. :mad:

Well WCP was profitable and that *should* have been what they took into account (even if it wasn't as profitable as EA wanted). Then Space Combat games eg. FS became less proftiable and scared EA.
What happened then is Ultima Online came about and it was more profitable and Origin decided to go MMP, Privateer 3 was scarapped in favour of the more profitable games and Privateer Online was born, now this is where it starts getting strange, another MMP space trading games was already in progress, the game belonged to no franchise and was being produced by a company that with just a few exceptions was pretty incompetant. Privateer Online was scrapped for this game.

You're calling Westwood imcompetent?!?
They created Blade Runner, one of the greatest adventure games ever!
Alright, they don't have shit experience in making space sims, but they are not completely imcompetent... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Marcml30

But were they profitable? I find it hard to believe that EA would suspend a *profitable* game series. Most companies will run a successful series into the ground.

Well if didnt sell poorly that means it sold well, which would be profitable. 750,000 units is a pretty decent run for a game. Its just stuff like Freespace 2, and Starlancer that sold 25,000 games each (or maybe between the two of them) that scared EA. They are thinking, if those games sold badly, then a new WC might also. Which actually is kinda smart. About the only thing they have done smart.

The Wing Commander franchise would've made a little difference here I guess, at least more than the name Chris Roberts attached to Startlancer, only hard core WC fans would know that.
But I guess it was too much of a risk to take.
One day, when IPv23 allows completely reliable synched in-order connected stream packets that allow for lag-less connection, Space Sim MMP games will become the hype, and then WC will return and blow all the competition away...
*sigh*

Originally posted by Unforgiven
You're calling Westwood imcompetent?!?
They created Blade Runner, one of the greatest adventure games ever!

I heard the game was great, which reminds me I should dig that up. P2 first though. :)

As good as the game probably it, it still doesn't hold a candle to Scott's film. Rutger Hauer in that film is... indescribable! :eek:

Having played the game, read the book and seen the film (in that order), I found the film a little disappointing.
Sure, Harisson Ford and Rutger Hauer (Go Holland!) are great, and acted great in the movie. But it just removes so much from the original story in the book. The book is a very deep psychological story about a man who struggles with his personal life, religion and his job. He starts to develop empathy for the Androids. There's a lot of crazy unexpected sidesteps in the story, and the film just doesn't have that. And the movie ends way too good compared to the book. You see them flying over forests and fields under a blue sky! According to the book Earth was practically destroyed by World War Terminus and the resulting radioactive fall-out. There are no blue skies and healthy forests! And Rachel and Deckard don't get together.
The game by comparison is much better, mostly because it isn't based on the story in the book, so it doesn't destroy it. I also found the game story more involving than the movie.
What was great about the movie were the sets and the way they get the atmosphere across. The game is also great there, copying a lot of sets and sequences in 3DStudio. I've NEVER seen any other game that payed so much attention to detail in the backgrounds as Blade Runner.

I said with very few exceptions, Blade Runner happens to be one of my all time favourites :) The C&C franchise is a bit up and down and nothing else counts.

And don't knock the movie if you've only seen the original, lol!
Watch the directors cut its a lot deeper :) Very good.

Edit: Having said that about the game it was full of holes and some glitches, also felt very incomplete, damn good but you got accused of killing ISO even when he was a rep and Steele and killed him, she should therefore KNOW you weren't a rep ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back