The real reason.

Originally posted by Shooter
And that's why I think that if there should be a new WC game it should be Privateer III. Think about it, it could be a totaly new game in the WC universe. The rest of the world would love it (nice graphics, excelent gameplay, the trading/planning factor, etc) and with a bonus for us : it would be OUR universe. Enough with Blair (well, in one part of the game it would be nice to find his carcass floating in space ;) ), it would be a fresh start. I know what you are saying right now: it's been done in P2. Well, that was a mistake. They pushed it too far, it looked a paralell universe. All the familiar signs would be there. Let me dream...

Or perhaps Privateer III that has the entire WC universe in it, that you can fly to any destination, planet, base etc, both Confed and Kilrathi space. A game that allows you to fly for whoever, Confed, Kilrathi, Privateer, Merchant, Militia, Mercenaries, or just a plain ol civi. Lots of elements like FPS games plus interactivity. Make it multiplayer capable both masive and single end host. Too much for a game?...Na...probably not enough!!

RFBurns

That would take a huge amount of programing/discs to have anything of quality of the scale you are talking about.

Also while perhaps PIII would be a decent game it can mearly be an offshoot of the true WCgames as such the game that will restart the series must be a traditional main line game and after that perhaps sequels to spinoffs can come back.

Originally posted by Earthworm
How can you not count something that was free for limited time, as free?
Okay, maybe there should be "premanently free" and "only free for a short period of time". KS SM/SO is free - always was and always will be. WCP SO was free for only a limited time and must now be purchased through WCP Gold. And, I might be just a little bitter because I missed out on the free missions.

Bah! With todays computer power and increased CD storage capacity it wouldnt be too much. Think big!!

RFBurns

Originally posted by Earthworm
Originally posted by mpanty
Chris Roberts did not participate in the programming of WCP, did he? I remember reading something about that in a magazine...If wouldn't surprise me anyhow, as in WCP the amount of movies compared to WC IV decreased by half... and so did apparently the acting quality...
And CR's departure didn't have anything to do with it... Prophecy's budget was cut in half, and the script went down from 400 to 120 pages.

Damn! What a pity!

But I am quite sure that the programmers had planned less movie scenes anyway...

Do you have the number of script pages for the Price of Freedom by any chance?

I'm listening to the Wing Commander 1 unsuccesfull debriefing music right now. It's fitting, really.

There was a slight misunderstanding from my post. I do not condemn Origin for forgetting about Wing Commander. I thank them for giving me all of the memories I mentioned at the start of this thread.

The entire team that made Prohecy has broken up. That depresses me. I think they went back to the roots of the Wing Commander franchise, and undid the damage that Chris Robets (IMHO) started to lay down on the series.

It's depressing to me, however, as Loaf said, that the computer gaming industry has been taken over by people who care for nothing more than UT, Quake 3, and Counterstrike. While these games are fun, they've never kept me up all night before school or work thinking "Just one more mission. Then I'll get some sleep." "Just one more cargo run, then I'll hit the sack." Things like that.

Originally posted by LividLiquid
...UT, Quake 3, and Counterstrike. While these games are fun, they've never kept me up all night before school or work thinking "Just one more mission. Then I'll get some sleep" "Just one more cargo run, then I'll hit the sack". Things like that.

Well believe me Liquid, I know people who did stay up all night playing Counterstrike...
"Ok, a few more frags then I'll go to sleep", "One more bomb planting then I'll shut down"...

Believe me those games can be highly addicting, just as WC is...

For my part, this may sound weird to you guys who don't like soccer, but I have actually spent whole nights playing Championship Manager 97-98... and I still remember my face in the morning! :rolleyes::eek:

Originally posted by LividLiquid

The entire team that made Prohecy has broken up. That depresses me. I think they went back to the roots of the Wing Commander franchise, and undid the damage that Chris Robets (IMHO) started to lay down on the series.

Chris Roberts damage, WTF are you smoking, the last Chris Roberts game is according to a CIC poll, the greatest WC game if not greatest game of all time period. You fly more missions in WCIV than in P. You have great acting (unlike Prophesy), you have a story that is far and above the greatest storyline for a game or movie ever, ammazing gameplay that actually is challenging, a great villain, and I could go on!

That was a sad story, LividLiquid. (And by sad, I mean good, not... sad. :))

So what's it to be, a SO sequel, or P3? Personally, I'd prefer 'WC6,' but it's a bit early to be hopeful for a new game, isn't it?

It is not hopefull, It may happen, it may not, until then we got UE and Vega Strike, and the Rebellion movie, and Fleet Action for homeworld.

Chris Roberts ruined Wing Commander IV by spending too damn much money in an attempt to impress Hollywood -- it cost over 14 times as much as Prophecy, and its sales forced EA to reconsider the franchise.

As for other games -- there's no question that something like Quake is incredibly addictive... but it's addictive for the wrong reasons.

Thank you, Loaf. That's what I was trying to say.

Roberts spent waaay too much money on IV, and it started to feel more like a movie with some game thrown in, than a game with some movies carrying it along.

Lets not get carried away here. The movies were very prominent in the game but the actual game was still some of the best flying available, variety of mission wise.

Come on Liquid! The mission variety highly increased from WC III to WC IV...

The programmers made a real effort to create original missions...

Look at the times you fly atmospheric missions on planets (take pix, rescue hostage, protect civies (if you chose Circe), land at Telamon...), it's pretty good compared to the two only missions in WC III...

Also, you have given the choice at times (Panther vs. Hawk), increasing the overall variety of the missions.

You have to use those new amazing MIPs (Manned Insertion Pods) to penetrate bases... you have to support and defend a Marine board so that they can capture a capship...

Also, you can capture an enemy fighter and get to fly undercover reconnaissance to a secret starbase (Axius), right below the enemy's noses...

Don't tell that this are not some of the best and most original missions you've ever flown in a starfighter!
(well, I know you will tell me that, but I sincerely believe that I share my opinion with many others in this forum...) :)

Indeed, WCIV had the most interactivity, the most diverse mission plots, and the most incredible space flight sim physics than any other. I would have to agree with LOAF about how CR's attempt at a Hollywood style movie for a game may have put a damper on future WC games. But then again, both WCIII and WCIV were out when mulitmedia was just getting good rounds and at that time, it was the big seller and reasons to get a PC. So CR put balls to the wall with WCIV and its multimedia format. However, when Prophecy came out, the big thing about getting a PC was to get on the net and email and surf, still is. So if there is another WC game, I doubt it would even come close to what WCIII and WCIV had in the way of FMV.

RFBurns

I heard very often that people complain that there were too many cutscenes in WCIV. I don't know but I liked them very much especially when the Vesuvius and the Mount St-Helen battle each other or when Tolwyn gives his speech in Axius.
But I can imagine that they were very costly...

He went very overboard with the video -- not just using so much of it, but the quality of the sets and such... he went way over budget for reletively pointless reasons (he had an entire shuttle set built, for instance...).

Back