The real reason.

LividLiquid

Rear Admiral
(Really long rant coming up.)
(SPOILER ALERT!)

I, like others here, have been playing Wing Commander games since 1990. I was only seven. Crashed into the Tiger's Claw every time I tried to land for the first two months because I was too retarded to ask for permission to land. (What else could I do? I didn't read very well then.)

Since then, we've enjoyed many Wing Commander games. They were all great. They were all a part of me. A part of all of us. Kind of Zen, really. I never feel quite as relaxed as when I'm chasing down a Sabre in my Morningstar, as I did not ten minutes ago, or pounding away at a Moray with my Dragonflies. Running that first Diamond patrol in Enyo. Making that run from Troy to Pender's Star, to Junction, to New Constantinople with three loads of cargo missions for almost 30,000 credits.

These are the images, moods, adventures, and experiences that I have grown up on. Were my life without Wing Commander, I would not be the man I am today. None of us would be. That might not be a big deal to you. But it sure as hell is to me.

My two brothers, the other day, were playing Freespace 2. I told them that Wing Commander was far superior in almost every way. They challenged it, naturally, so I threw in Prophecy and they both installed it on their respective machines and played for half-an-hour.

These were the replies I got.

"Horrible acting." "Listen to the way that Maestro guy talks. I want to punch him in the face." "That Stiletto chick is the worst actress I've ever seen." "This game is campy and retarded, but it doesn't acknowledge it. It's accidentally lame." "Freespace is way better." "What good's a story when it sucks ass?"

I looked, for the first time, at Prohecy. Objectively. It wasn't good.

Initially, I loved the game. Loved it ever since. Still love it dearly. But I looked at it from the point of view of somebody that's never played a Wing Commander game before. Never run brilliance from Pentonville. Never watched the Behemoth as it met it's fate. Never witnessed the end of the Kilrathi war. Never routed the cats from Vega sector. Never argued with another fellow-junkie about why the Deneb Sector disappeared from the Prophecy map.

It was lame. It was a really bad game. It flew well, but the story sucked.

Before you flame me, listen for a second.

Everything I liked about the story of Prophecy draws it's roots into earlier games. Hawk's death. Blair's abduction. The way that Prophecy reminded me so much of the first WC it was scary.

This is why WC's fanbase shrank, not grew, with Prohecy. It was too inside. How many people would have known that the TCS Devereaux was an homage to a good friend to all of us. Well... we would. Us. The CIC community. Hundreds more, I'm sure, but that doesn't allow for a bigger fanbase.

It's a sad catch 22, really. I want the games to be inside. I want to be rewarded for following for elleven years. I want Blair to talk about Bossman. About the Tiger's claw. I want him to comment on the poster in the barracks of Caernarvon. I want things like that. But if the game is too-full of things like that, and not enough substance, or good acting... it's doomed to retain it's fanbase.

I'm getting depressed just thinking about it. What do you guys think?

I know I loved her, and she loved me back -- and that's all that matters. To borrow from Eisen, we can prattle on about what if this happens or what if that happens... but we know what did happen. They did Prophecy and Secret Ops for the fans -- and regular people be damned, the fans loved it. If your brothers can't appreciate the simple joy of watching a Moray burst into a shockwave, or understand why it's so horrible that the Nephilim would force Blair to relive the events he listed, then they deserve pity. *They're* the ones missing out -- don't be offended by the fact that they can't understand... it's their loss, not yours.

To be fair, I don't think the game has changed -- the idea of total immersion into the fictional universe has always been one of Wing Commander's strong points -- the pilots talking in WC1 are constantly referencing unexplained events, ships and characters. It's one of those things that drew *us* to the game in the first place -- but the purpose of gaming has changed too much in the last ten years. It used to be that computer games were a fun toy for the same crowd that pen and paper RPGs appeal to. They loved the idea of a being able to play in a 'real' sci fi universe.

Today, to be completely straight, it's all about entertaining a bunch of idiots. Sixty-thousand stupid teenagers who's interest is soley instant gratification (remember when it used to be *fun* to tweak your computer to get a game to run? Now it's bloody murder if it doesn't automatically!) Origin was honorable to the last -- they didn't let this ruin Prophecy and Secret Ops. They deserve our respect, not our criticism.

Wing Commander games have always been a milestone in computer gaming history. And even if WCP and SOPS are, compared to the other parts, not as gripping, they are still fantastic games. Their graphics were the best available 1997/8 and are still respectable. Many sci-fi sims are compared to WC, I do not think that any other sim (not even X-Wing or TIE Fighter) had such an impact on computer games as WC. Perhaps it is true that it is now only appealing to fans but we all hope that it will change and that WC shall be returned to its former glory.

LividLiquid, you made me cry with your post! :(
Honestly, I feel bad for the WC universe all of a sudden, and the fact nothing new is up yet...

Originally posted by LividLiquid
It's a sad catch (...) I want the games to be inside. I want to be rewarded for following for eleven years. I want Blair to talk about Bossman. About the Tiger's claw. I want him to comment on the poster in the barracks of Caernarvon. I want things like that. But if the game is too-full of things like that, and not enough substance, or good acting... it's doomed to retain its fanbase.

I absolutely agree! Alas :(... It was so nice when in WC II old comrades expressed old memories (cf Angel, Spirit and Paladin...), it felt really... what word did you use Liquid? "Rewarding" that's right!
But sadly yes, nowadays game producing is all about the money, companies that can't follow the thread end up being bought by bigger and richer ones (like Origin by EA...)

Little is done for the fans anymore...

But Bandit's right, Origin deserve praise for going against the thread and maintaining storyline for fans, not complaints.
Correct me if I am wrong however... Chris Roberts did not participate in the programming of WCP, did he? I remember reading something about that in a magazine...
If wouldn't surprise me anyhow, as in WCP the amount of movies compared to WC IV decreased by half... and so did apparently the acting quality...

Origin does deserve a pat on the back for their efforts with Prophecy. Regardless of the story, which is half of the reasons why we dig ourselves so deep into the game, its the cockpit that draws most of us. Combining the two is what makes any of the WC games so unique. We all have to face facts about how businesses go about in deciding to shelf a game or continue to produce it. And the bottom line is always the main consideration. Many think the storyline in Prophecy is lame, poor acting, etc etc. Ive seen worse on 14 million budget moves for the big silver screen to be honest! Whats more amazing is some actually spend the 30 or 40 bucks to go see those worthless movies in the theater, then line up at blockbuster to grab the DVD of it! Shows such as u-got-email and American pie dont exactly show mankinds best efforts in storyline and content compared to any of the WC FMV. They are actually some of the worst productions ever. But when you get a million people buying into that junk, it isnt hard to figure out why they keep producing garbage like that. All of the WC storylines and FMV's took real movie producing and scripting. I would bet alot of blood, sweat and tears went into making the WC movies and games. The other junk I mentioned doesnt even begin to touch the surface of what WC has acomplished. There will always be the dedicated fans who will keep the spirit alive. As long as we are here keeping it alive, WC will never fade out like the junk Hollywood is throwing at us. You can find that Hollywood junk in pawn shops and flea markets, but try to find a WC game even in a bargin bin, near impossible, that in itself should be a no brainer! WC will live on, and so will we, the dedicated fans. Maybe even pick up a few new fans along the way!

WC will live on!

RFBurns

(if you actually enjoyed the above mentioned Hollywood movies, sorry but thats my opinion. hope it was worth it)

Prophecy? Before you start bagging it, I draw your attention to the graphics! They were superb! The shockwaves, missile trails, its what the earlier games had been lacking.

On the other hand, the acting was ordinary, yet I feel it was good for the actors hired. The main problem of Prophecy is that it had a lot to live up to. It had to live up to the fact that it was the sequel to:

THE GREATEST COMPUTER GAME EVER CREATED

WCIV was indeed the best. Followed closely by III. Strong acting, strong gameplay and very strong plot. It was a masterpiece! You can't live up to that unless you spend a similar amount of money!

As for those brothers of yours? They are a sad testimony to the generation of kids that are growing up now. The 'A.D.D.' generation, easily bored, no time for a good plot. All they want to do is shoot things up.

FOR GODS SAKES MAN WE MUST HAVE A REASON TO DESTROY! To do nothing less would be a blot upon the honour of us fine wingnuts (except for the mad ones) After all, even Tolwyn had his reasons! (And what a great actor Malcolm McDowell is!)

I pity the children today. They really don't know what they're missing out on. Then again, they don't know any better. For everyone's information, I'm 18 turning 19...quite a young bloke but still old enough to know what a good game is...and that game is The Price of Freedom.

So true. Sadly though wcIV was way to hard for the average gamer, and took far to much money to create.Thus while it was the greatest spacesim ever. it was a mistake from the company prospective. WcIV will probably hold it's title as the greatest space sim of it's kind, because no company osi especially, is going to make that kind of mistake again. We are all trully spoiled by such an amazing game. All we can hope for is that the genre it self will change for the better, creating a new type of spacesim.

Although i'm hoping freelancer might pull through as a new-age privateer1.

Originally posted by redwolf
WCIV was indeed the best(...) Strong acting, strong gameplay and very strong plot. It was a masterpiece! You can't live up to that unless you spend a similar amount of money!

I fully agree... Wing Commander IV is probably even now the best game that mixes high quality acting and movie scenes with good quality gameplay, along with an amazing effort being made on the plot...

Unfortunately, the game developers did not like the thread Chris Roberts was giving to the WC games, "too many movies" and "not enough concentration" on the gameplay, in their opinion...

"THE HELL WITH THEM!" I said!

But they did not listen, so exit Chris Roberts and WCP having less movies and better graphics...

However, storyline and plot-wise, WC IV exceeds by far all of its fellow "competitors", namely the other WC games... :)

That was the difference my PC has problems with.At P. the graphic was good, but WCIV was very bad,my PC really didn't like the graphics of it..It would be a very bad thing to have older games on it, 'cause they would never run...even WCIV made my PC fall down...*g*.

I also agree that Origin should be given some credit, but I also think they should be smacked around a bit. In most "greatest games of all time" polls, Wing Commander is quite higher than any Ultima games. Which would make me think that Origin would want to continue that series. I dunno. I used to understand why Origin didn't make any new WC games after Prophecy (before I discovered the CIC and stuff) because EVERYONE I know thinks WC is quite stupid. I try to tell them it's good, but they don't listen.

Anyway, I just think that Origin should take a look around. From what I see, WC is ALOT more popular than Ultima, and the longer they let it sit, the more people will forget about it.

At this point, I'd have to say that Origin is beyond hope. And so is EA. It seems that since they've practically cancelled everything they're doing for UO, which just attests to the fact that they are a bunch of moneygrubbing scum like the rest of us. Unless WC is given to another company, I don't see it continuing for the next decade or so. And that's being optimistic.

I must say that while I am no fan of prophesy, it was still a great game in comparrison to any of the FPS games that exist today, or for that matter ever. WCIV had everything, graphics that I still love today, great acting, an amazing story, good difficulty, best villian of all time (who would have ever guessed that the second greatest hero would be evil?), and amazing gameplay in general. If I could, I would just re-release WCIV every 2 years optimized for newest OS and with slightly revamped graphics (put WCIV into Vision, now that would be amazing). Origin did do a decent job with WCP, but i see WCSO which was for the fans and only the fans as a true showing of their appreciation to us. Unfortunatly I also see WCSO as a parting gift that they gave us, sort of appologizing for the fact that they will never give us our fix again. I feel like a heroin addict who has suddenly lost his supply :( We need to keep the spirt alive, just like UE, and others have done. Vega Strike, with creating an all new engine is doing something incredable and I think I need to buy XWA just to play the mod once it comes out

Moneygrubbing scum? How so? They've done lots of things for us for absolutely no profit -- including releasing a free addon for Armada and developing an entire game, Secret Ops, for free! It costs a *whole lot* to produce a game, people.

It's people like you who are the problem, not EA... I mean, we won't see more WC for a decade at the least? What the blip are you talking about? When you say things like that, you should usually have some sort of fact behind them. Three years ago, Wing Commander was on top and the longer running Ultima series was "doomed" -- now they're in vogue and we're not. Things change.

The thing to keep in mind about EA/OSI is that they stated in a news release some time ago, "never say never". I take that as they are not completely dumping WC, but maybe setting it aside for a bit for the right time to continue it. Although I do think they could be less distant, by that I mean at least update the silly web site! Maybe with a news release or something stating they have not forgotten nor have they completely abandoned WC. Something! The lack of any word from EA/OSI would drive some to think they dont want to even talk about WC anymore. But I think that they do plan on continuing it, just not in a time frame we would all like to see it happen in. Indeed, the saga continues.

RFBurns

Originally posted by mpanty
Chris Roberts did not participate in the programming of WCP, did he? I remember reading something about that in a magazine...If wouldn't surprise me anyhow, as in WCP the amount of movies compared to WC IV decreased by half... and so did apparently the acting quality...
And CR's departure didn't have anything to do with it... Prophecy's budget was cut in half, and the script went down from 400 to 120 pages.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
They've done lots of things for us for absolutely no profit -- including releasing a free addon for Armada and developing an entire game, Secret Ops, for free!
Don't forget the free SM and SO missions for Kilrathi Saga. I wouldn't count WCP/SO as free though, it was only free for a limited time and was added to WCP to produce WCP Gold right? KS SM/SO was always free and still is.

And that's why I think that if there should be a new WC game it should be Privateer III. Think about it, it could be a totaly new game in the WC universe. The rest of the world would love it (nice graphics, excelent gameplay, the trading/planning factor, etc) and with a bonus for us : it would be OUR universe. Enough with Blair (well, in one part of the game it would be nice to find his carcass floating in space ;) ), it would be a fresh start. I know what you are saying right now: it's been done in P2. Well, that was a mistake. They pushed it too far, it looked a paralell universe. All the familiar signs would be there. Let me dream...

Prophecy was the fresh start, and later SO. That's why if OSI will make a new WC game, if it's a SP game it should be a sequel to SO.

Back