The Kilrathi Language?

Wolfsbane

Spaceman
Does anybody know if the Wing Commander Crew pulled a Tolkien* and actually wrote a full-blown language for the Kilrathi? Or is it more like Jordan's Old Tongue or even McKiernan's Mage language (which equates precisely to Greek).

If there is a Kilrathi language, is there a guide online to speaking it (or some of it, anyways)? Seems to me like that would be a fun way to pass some time...'specially when they're not making new Wing Commander games, and I'm feeling all nostalgic.

*J.R.R. Tolkien actually did develop a fully functional language or two for Lord of the Rings, as did Weis and Hickman for Dragonlance. While Robert Jordan's Old Tongue isn't a fully functional language, it still does have consistent, logical rules, and it's possible to speak snatches of it.

You know.. I almost bought a English & Klingon version of MacBeth the other day.. then I remembered I don't have the time to read MacBeth.. or learn Klingon that well..

It would be neat if someone were to develop the Kilrathi language to that extent.. but somehow I doubt it will ever happen..

:(

-Johnny

I've got a copy of Klingon Halmet somewhere :(

Speaking of Star Trek books, they just came out (yesterday, I think) with a Star Trek atlas type book... like the Prophecy map, except Star Trek... and a book... it's pretty spiffy.

We have all types of crazy people, but I don't think we have any hard-core linguists around...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I've got a copy of Klingon Halmet somewhere :(

Speaking of Star Trek books, they just came out (yesterday, I think) with a Star Trek atlas type book... like the Prophecy map, except Star Trek... and a book... it's pretty spiffy.

Isn't that like 'Kha'mlet or something? I have a copy that I've got lying around my room somewhere.

Pity we don't have anyone like Mark Okrand kicking about. Developing a written Kilrathi language would be interesting.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Well, I am studying for my Master's degree in Linguistic Science, if that counts for anything.

Is one of your class choices "construction of Fictional languages with an emphasis in Feline Cultures"? If it is, then I think we're set ;)

C-ya

God I just re-read my post. That is such a weak attempt at humor. I'll just leave it here for all to scoff at.

Originally posted by Wolfsbane
Does anybody know if the Wing Commander Crew pulled a Tolkien* and actually wrote a full-blown language for the Kilrathi? Or is it more like Jordan's Old Tongue or even McKiernan's Mage language (which equates precisely to Greek).

I dont know what McKiernan`s Mage is but you are saying the "language" they speak is Greek ??I always enjoy seeing my language beeing used as "Magical",or an "unkown" etc.I ve seen movies or comics (Spawn) using Ancient or nowdays Greek as Alien or sacred language..Its really funny.Usually the text has nothing to do with reallity.They just put word there with no meaning and they are talking about Prophecys etc.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by TopGun
Who you calling Bub, Bub :D
Well, after that last post of yers (go back & re-read the wording carefully), I was half tempted to call you "Jar-Jar", but I didn't feel like risking an insult, since folks are so "touchy" on the CZ lately.

Back