The First Kilrathi?

Well I find it hard to believe that a movie can blow something... being that it lacks a mouth and all...

Originally posted by Knitewing

So you're saying you missed the movie huh?

No... I have it on DVD and VHS... It's just rather difficult to blow a bear, dead or alive, without a mouth.

That's some good saying the exact same thing again without actually providing any reasons!

Are you kidding? It was a "Wing Commander" movie, but nothing in it really had anything to do with anything previously, except labels. The ships and fighters didn't even look related to anything from the games. The fighters only fired projectiles. Or did I see the movie where they used 500 year old technology, instead of *GASP* 600 year from now energy weapons and shields and stuff. And the "acting". Gag me with the moon! I rented it and felt ripped off. God forbid if I had bought the tape or DVD. I would have felt like a major sucker.

Originally posted by Ridgerunner
Are you kidding? It was a "Wing Commander" movie, but nothing in it really had anything to do with anything previously, except labels. The ships and fighters didn't even look related to anything from the games.

As opposed to WC3, where the ships looked just like those from the previous games!

The fighters only fired projectiles. Or did I see the movie where they used 500 year old technology, instead of *GASP* 600 year from now energy weapons and shields and stuff.

You obviously watched a different movie than I did... The one I saw had things like rotary barrel neutron guns, lasers, and (gasp) mass drivers!

And the "acting". Gag me with the moon! I rented it and felt ripped off. God forbid if I had bought the tape or DVD. I would have felt like a major sucker.

Hehe, the acting wasn't that horrible. There are many worse movies out there. The directing was somewhat weak, and the stupid cuts made the pacing odd and some of the story not quite click into place.

Originally posted by TC

As opposed to WC3, where the ships looked just like those from the previous games!

Different graphics engines and stuff. At least they were in the ballpark. And how about that Arrow from the animated days? Hell, all they had to do was use ships and stuff from WC3 and then only the acting would have stunk.

You obviously watched a different movie than I did... The one I saw had things like rotary barrel neutron guns, lasers, and (gasp) mass drivers!

I'm willing to concede this one, since I don't want to spend more than 12 cents on the movie to check. But I definitely remember thinking "Where's the lasers and stuff?" Must be getting old.

Hehe, the acting wasn't that horrible. There are many worse movies out there. The directing was somewhat weak, and the stupid cuts made the pacing odd and some of the story not quite click into place.

Yep. All great movies are like that.

Yep. All great movies are like that.

Wow... that's some good not responding to any of my points!

I didn't say it was a great movie, it wasn't. It wasn't utter crap either.

Take a look at the quote and bold tags. Open them with (quote) and (b) and close them with (/quote) and (/b). Use []s instead of ()s though.

Different graphics engines and stuff. At least they were in the ballpark. And how about that Arrow from the animated days? Hell, all they had to do was use ships and stuff from WC3 and then only the acting would have stunk.

You obviously weren't around when people used to complain about how the ships had changed in WC3... or how there were WC3 ships in Academy... People would have complained no matter what, even if the exact same ships as WC1 had been used. People just would have been complaining about how Chris Roberts wasn't creative or something...

Ships look different. Ships always look different in the Wing Commander universe. They've changed basic types of designs several times and certain ships change shape magically throughout the game series and in the movie. The games definately aren't the place to point to when you want to talk about ship design continuity.

Are you kidding? It was a "Wing Commander" movie.... I rented it and felt ripped off. God forbid if I had bought the tape or DVD. I would have felt like a major sucker.

Well, personally I paid about $3 to buy it at a flea mart, so that's about right...:D

Originally posted by TC

You obviously weren't around when people used to complain about how the ships had changed in WC3...

I wasn't, but that's a pretty dumb arguement. They're not THAT different...I was more taken by the fact that the fighters in WC3, which are supposed to be older than the ones in WC2, are the only ones featured in WC4...

or how there were WC3 ships in Academy...

To me that makes perfect sense!

People would have complained no matter what, even if the exact same ships as WC1 had been used. People just would have been complaining about how Chris Roberts wasn't creative or something...

Probably, but I don't think it would have been QUITE as bad. I mean, they changed EVERYTHING. It was barely recongizable as Wing Commander.

Ships look different. Ships always look different in the Wing Commander universe. They've changed basic types of designs several times and certain ships change shape magically throughout the game series and in the movie. The games definately aren't the place to point to when you want to talk about ship design continuity.

But the games are alitte different though. They didn't take two fighters which we had seen previously, use the same name, but create a horrificly different ship out of it. I'm not saying the movie is at fault for that though...I understand that they really COULDN'T use WC1 ships in it...it would have looked silly...and I even LIKE the Concordia, Dralthi, and ConCom from the movie!

My main problem with the movie (and related materials) is that it seemingly provides a unique universe from the normal Wing Commander universe. Whether it be TWO TCS Iason's, with TWO Captain's of the same name, meeting similar fates (and both apparently starting the war...), or whether it be the Pilgrim War occuring before the Kilrathi War totally destroying the story of Action Stations, or Blair's parents dying when he was a just a kid even though Academy clearly shows they didn't...

There's more, some of it can be explained, I challenge you to explain any of those I just listed. The movie wasn't TERRIBLE, but by no means a "good" movie. I think it would have been better if it WASN'T Wing Commander......I went in expecting one thing, and came out with something totally different.

Back