The First Kilrathi?

Ah, you haven't watched it... but because it disagrees with something you *made up*, it must be *wrong*. Of course.

Re: Fighters

Originally posted by Stuart
Oh those things. Never watched them. Can't stand cartoons. Using the concentric circle analogy I mentioned earlier, those cartoons must be right on the outside.

Wow! According to something you made up (which, I will admit, I haven't read) Wing Commander Academy doesn't count. That's some good proof!

I have a question for the masters regarding the Wing Commander Academy cartoon series. In the episode 'Invisible Enemy', we saw the Kilrathi's first sign of stealth fighter technology. The existence of the prototype Strakha stealth fighter (which appeared to be just a Sartha painted black:) ) was confirmed by Blair and Maniac. Tolwyn acknowledged its existence in the end.

If that is the case, then why is it that upon the destruction of the Tiger's Claw Tolwyn did not believe Blair's claims of Kilrathi stealth fighter involvement? Did his pride get in the way of his logic yet again, or was he resentful towards Blair and thought that the pilot was merely trying to cover his own hide for the carrier's destruction?

Originally posted by Stuart:

What is being attempted here is to establish a self-consistent universe for Wing Commander . . . If there are inconsistencies in the information . . . we have several possibilities.

[1] We can find a way by which the disconnects can be accommodated within a logical structure.

[2] We can modify one or both bits of information so that they can both be accommodated within that structure

[3] We can discard some of the information as wrong or unusable.

Of course the first “possibility” is what many of us are committed to, not because it guarantees that every inconsistency can be resolved at this time, but because it is the only practical path open to us given that it is based on our common acceptance of Origin as the ultimate validating source of WC “facts”. The problem with your second and third approaches is that “we” would be the validating source, which would inevitably result in our failing to come to any stable consensus about what is or is not true about the WC universe. No canon would or could exist. You yourself have demonstrated that through your own prejudice toward the Academy series.

Originally posted by BlueClaw
I have a question for the masters regarding the Wing Commander Academy cartoon series. In the episode 'Invisible Enemy', we saw the Kilrathi's first sign of stealth fighter technology. The existence of the prototype Strakha stealth fighter (which appeared to be just a Sartha painted black:) ) was confirmed by Blair and Maniac. Tolwyn acknowledged its existence in the end.

If that is the case, then why is it that upon the destruction of the Tiger's Claw Tolwyn did not believe Blair's claims of Kilrathi stealth fighter involvement? Did his pride get in the way of his logic yet again, or was he resentful towards Blair and thought that the pilot was merely trying to cover his own hide for the carrier's destruction?

Ah, this actually adds to the story. There's an ongoing theme throughout the early series of Tolwyn denying the existance of cloaked craft even with proof of their existance. This can be seen in Invisible Enemy, Super Wing Commander, Wing Commander 2 and the entry reguarding the Skipper Missile in the Confed Handbook (reference at the bottom to a Confed thread report on Kilrathi Stealth fighters). There's huge amounts of evidence showing that Confed knew about Kilrathi stealth technology but were unwilling to accept it as it would be such an insanely large morale hit.

Originally posted by TC

Ah, this actually adds to the story. There's an ongoing theme throughout the early series of Tolwyn denying the existance of cloaked craft even with proof of their existance. This can be seen in Invisible Enemy, Super Wing Commander, Wing Commander 2 and the entry reguarding the Skipper Missile in the Confed Handbook (reference at the bottom to a Confed thread report on Kilrathi Stealth fighters). There's huge amounts of evidence showing that Confed knew about Kilrathi stealth technology but were unwilling to accept it as it would be such an insanely large morale hit.

The best part of that episode was seeing how the crew, including Blair, treated Maniac after loosing his wingman. Seems like Blair got some of his own medicine later on...

Originally posted by Nemesis

Of course the first “possibility” is what many of us are committed to, not because it guarantees that every inconsistency can be resolved at this time, but because it is the only practical path open to us given that it is based on our common acceptance of Origin as the ultimate validating source of WC “facts”. The problem with your second and third approaches is that “we” would be the validating source, which would inevitably result in our failing to come to any stable consensus about what is or is not true about the WC universe. No canon would or could exist. You yourself have demonstrated that through your own prejudice toward the Academy series.

In respons to this, I'll post something I wrote at some point!

Originally posted by... um... me...

space2.gif
I feel that I should explain my own thoughts on analysing the fictional universe of Wing Commander and how I feel about apparent inconsistencies. I have problems with the thought that the Wing Commander timeline *should* be nice and smooth and non-conflicting. We live in what we consider to be reality, and what we view as our timeline sure as hell isn't smooth. We have sudden changes in political direction, conflicts in records, various factions, competing outlooks, et al. Why isn't a fictional universe allowed to have this? Do all records, people and objects in a fictional universe need to be perfectly consistent in our eyes? If someone says something that contradicts something we've read about, we don't quickly come to the conclusion that either the book, or the person, don't exist. This would be insanity. Instead we look at the sources and determine the credibility or each, and through this, come to a conclusion.

space2.gif
Instead of examining our sources, be they the movie, the games, or any of the other Wing Commander material, and throwing out what we disagree with, we should examine what happens in that material. The official Wing Commander materials are all part of the same universe. These creators have the right to create in this universe. Everything that these products contain are things that exist in the universe and cannot conflict. They are inherently right, in that they exist. However, the things represented within do not have to be correct. Someone in the universe can make a mistake. A magazine, a person, or a sensor reading can be incorrect, misreported or otherwise flawed. The representation of these things is what is always correct. We can examine these in-universe sources and decide, based on their source, what we believe to be true. Of course, just as in historical study, one cannot be completely sure as to which source is correct and in some cases none are.

space2.gif
Things can be improbable. Our own world has huge numbers of things that occur, apparently, by freak chance. These things can occur in Wing Commander as well.

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” – Sherlock Holmes

This is a sentiment that must be taken to heart. One impossibility is that part of the Wing Commander reality does not exist. One must work on the premise that everything that is presented to us by the authors does, indeed, exist. Improbability is always a possibility when explaining something, while impossibility is obviously not.

I liked how I used the Sherlock Holmes thing for no reason.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

History of the Terran-Kilrathi War:

THE TERRAN CONFEDERATION AND THE KILRATHI EMPIRE FIRST CAME INTO CONTACT ON 2638.229, AND CONFLICT ENSUED IMMEDIATLY. On 2641.009, Confed formally declared war...

Hehe... I just noticed that the Confed Handbook has two different dates mentioned as their declaration of war... one is the one you mentioned (which confused me, as I went and looked at the full page history of the Terran-Kilrathi war...). The other is 2639.007, which is given on page 13. This adds to two more declarations of war, that of the limited offensive actions and then the declaration following McAuliffe in AS. Either all the 4declarations have something slightly different about them, or there's something a little odd that we need to consider.

Originally posted by TC:

We live in what we consider to be reality, and what we view as our timeline sure as hell isn't smooth. We have sudden changes in political direction, conflicts in records, various factions, competing outlooks, et al. Why isn't a fictional universe allowed to have this?

I agree. Those who complain about and characterize inconsistencies among the games, books, movie, etc. as flaws just don’t take the existence of the WC universe seriously enough. They want to treat it as only a story line and critique it accordingly. That is not what canon is about. (Sherlock Holmes lived!)

I agree with TC's statement as well. People complain, becasue they don't want to think, or if they do they just want to argue.

Back