TCS Vanguard CV-21

Originally posted by Viper61
I'm actually kindof partial to the original WC3 paint job. I too do not like the WC4 meshes,
Cam, would you do as LOAF suggested, take out the blue and just leave it a gray mesh and post it here?

Remove the Blue from the Cruiser and you have a Wc4 texture....but you said that you dont like the Wc4 textures.....:confused:

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Remove the Blue from the Cruiser and you have a Wc4 texture....but you said that you dont like the Wc4 textures.....:confused:

The WC4 texture doesn't take into account anything like distance blurring your own eyes do. IN WC4, at any distance you can see the "great detail" they put into the texture, like the intersection of the exterior armor plates. The WC3 and Cam's model doesn't have those fine divisions, the seams are blurred as they would be at a great distance (or in a very well put together ship :) - I always thought the WC4 ships looked like they were about to fly apart since I could actually see where the armor was put together, nice place to put a torpedo). Look at any ship right now (aircraft, navy ships, etc), if you look at it from more than 100m away, you don't see any divisions in the plating, the seams are more blended by your eyes.
By the way, Cam I like the compromise, very nice! It's a shame its going to be beat the hell up with a ton of holes punched in it :(.

C-ya

Well if he keeps the current model and does a before and after getting-totalled-by-whatever would be neat. Heck maybe even put it in his movie or whatever he is making... Like they spot the wreckage and say "Hey thats whatever-fleet" and it just sorta flashes them in formation like someone remembering seeing them prior to their beating hehe. Just my silly idea, though. :p

Originally posted by Cam
Heh.

Ya ever wonder what the hell that thing is at the front of the Tallahassee-Class cruisers? I'm guessing it's some sort of cannon, although I could be wrong.

I don't think having a large-gun would be good, because The Concordia had that and she was 30 years older. Would disrupt continuity.

BUT! What it could be is a capship-launch tube. Or a fighter-launch tube...

THe fighters go in through the rear hangar, and they go into the tube and get shot out the front.

Also, you could load Capship missiles in from magazine (which could be in the large hammer-head like area) into the launch tube.

In other words, it's got one exit, but you can put missiles in from the magazines, or fighters from the hangar-deck.

-Concordia

Originally posted by Concordia
I don't think having a large-gun would be good, because The Concordia had that and she was 30 years older. Would disrupt continuity.

uhhhh........i thought the concordia was one of the newer ships of confed, considering that the concordia super cruiser was around in 2654 and destroyed later, then they would have built the confed class concordia. IIRC, LOAF said she was built after 2660. and anyway, how would having a big gun disrupt continuity, considering the concordia super cruisers had a big gun, the confed dreadnoughts had a big gun, the midway had a big gun, and the cerberus (sp?) had a big gun. seems to me that big guns are common in confed designs (and yes i know that the midway's big gun wasn't part of the design)

THe fighters go in through the rear hangar, and they go into the tube and get shot out the front.

Also, you could load Capship missiles in from magazine (which could be in the large hammer-head like area) into the launch tube.

In other words, it's got one exit, but you can put missiles in from the magazines, or fighters from the hangar-deck.

i could buy a capship missile launcher (that is what i personally believe it is) but not a fighter launcher, for the simple fact that it would take up too much space to transport fighters from the hanger to the bow, considering that said transport system would probably have to go down 2 or 3 levels at least to get to the launcher and also have to operate fast enough to allow the cruiser to deploy her fighters in a reasonable amount of time

Thanks for catching up with the rest of us ;)
Originally posted by Viper61 on 5/14/03
I always thought the big opening on the front of the cruisers were the capmiss launcher or the torpedo tube (but since the books say ships have up to a dozen torp tubes, I guess I have to give that one up)
Anyway, back to the reason I posted, Cam I have a question. Which capship hulk are you planning to use for the Kiilrathi raiders to emerge from? My thoughts on the scenario - how about a huge gaping hole in the side of the TCS Atlanta Ranger you have? That would be pretty sweet to have a shot of a dozen odd kilrathi fighters spewing out of both ends of the hanger and the hole in its side like a split open beehive :). Though it would be more likely that the raiders are spread out in the wreckage, for maximum suprise and immediate firepower, it still would be a pretty neat shot.

C-ya

Actually, the raiders will appear out of nowhere. :) Stealth fighters you see... zipping in and out of stealth, with lightning efficiency.

The destroyed Kilrathi fleet is composed of 2 cruisers and a heavy destroyer, the Confed battle group being 1 carrier 1 cruiser and 2 destroyers.

t.c.cgi: I actually was thinking about doing a flashback scene where you see quick shots of the original engagement--but I may leave that out as there is a lot of work involved in creating that. I'll think about it. :)

Not really the engagement as much as just them en transit to. It would keep the mystery for those who haven't been keeping track hehe. Like "Wow that fleet is cool... wait, how'd it get wasted?" sorta deal.

Oh yeah, whatcha using for modelling and animation? I'm sort of a novice myself. Can share some of my (non-WC) work. I only have a few screens, lost most of it in a post-virus format... :rolleyes:

I think someone asked way earlier. I use 3D Studio.

Hrm, well the details of the flashback can be worked out later. I like the engagement myself--it can be silent with the pilot telling his wingmate about what happened as voiceover.

I'll also be modeling pilots and cockpits for the confed fighters as you'll see some shots from their pov.

Originally posted by Cam
Actually, the raiders will appear out of nowhere. :) Stealth fighters you see... zipping in and out of stealth, with lightning efficiency.

Your script seems to suggest that they are hiding powered down inside the blasted out hulk of a cap ship, oh well.

C-ya

Right, because we all know how the Concordia was the only ship to ever have a big gun.

Also, 30 years older than what? We don't even know how old the Tallahassees are, so claiming that it's 30 years older than something is somewhat silly.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. If you mean the dish-like thing directly on the front of the ship, I always assumed it was some sort of Star-Trek style deflector dish.

Back