TCS Confederation

Expendable

Spaceman
Whatever happened to the TCS Confederation? Was there even a TCS Confederation at all? Or was the class of Dreadnaught Carriers just a name for the class that the designers ignored when naming individual ships?

It's generally assumed the TCS Confederation is the ship on the cover of Wing Commander II (CVS-14), since it's the only other class ship we've been given a serial number for.

Wasn't the TCS Confederation the dreadnaught that made them question the use of the PTC (ie ship went boom)?

C-ya

Viper61 said:
Wasn't the TCS Confederation the dreadnaught that made them question the use of the PTC (ie ship went boom)?

C-ya

No, that's just AcesLore. The TCS Confederation appears nowhere in the WC canon, save as the 'name ship' of the Confederation class.

Refresh my memory . . . are there any Confeds still in service by WCP, or were they all blown up by the end of the war?

According to the KS manual, the PTCs were retired in 2665. Also in the same source, they note that the Confederation-class Dreadnought is built around the Phase Transit Cannon, actually forming its keel.

Take from that what you will.

Well, I don't think you really can take any service date from that since the TCS Concordia was in service till it was destroyed in 2669.

C-ya

Sabre said:
Why didn't Concordia use its PTC in Fleet Action?
Probably because of the fact that Haesslich brought up, the PTC was retired in 2665. They may have rendered them inoperable, just so it wouldn't tempt a dreadnaught commander to use it :). I don't remember a Kilrathi capship in FA getting close enough to the Concordia for her to use her PTC, though we don't "see" the whole of every battle scene so maybe she did use it and we just weren't "there" to witness it ;).

C-ya

Sabre said:
Why didn't Concordia use its PTC in Fleet Action?

Probably because they wanted the ship intact for the end of the novel? :D The PTC had a nasty habit of blowing up or failing at critical points, which is why we don't see them on future classes of ships - on top of the size problem.

Or, possibly, because the Concordia was never involved in any close range battles in Fleet Action.

Expendable said:
Whatever happened to the TCS Confederation? Was there even a TCS Confederation at all? Or was the class of Dreadnaught Carriers just a name for the class that the designers ignored when naming individual ships?

Assuming the TCS Confederation was CVS-14, I found this from an Origin CD.

wreck.JPG

Either it is the TCS Confederation in another planet, or Origin has trouble figuring out if the Concordia # is either "CVS-14" or "CVS-65". No one really knows the answer.

I know the answer. They modified the high-res 'CVS-14' 3D model (seen on the WC2 box) for WC3... instead of the low-res 'CVS-65' one.

It seems like they retextured it a bit to make it look beat up, me wonders why they didnt just fix the "14" at the same time.

On a side note, does that shot not look like the wreck is both miles out and really freaking (as in several kilometers) big?

Well, a carrier would be really big, but as I am unsure about what that brown stuff is in front of it, the distance is rather difficult to gauge.

And wouldn't the paint job be burned off by forcible re-entry?

Most of the paint would burn off, but not all, even passing through an athmosphere.

It is hard to determine distance in that pic, but it has to be some distance away knowing how big that things is.

Back