Standoff Ep. 4 Is Over Slow

Should I Switch to Driect X?

but hw much visuals will i lose

You mean that it runs too slow? What are your system specs? Try turning things like your resolution and draw distances down

using that new visual engine it moves really slow

using direct x its the usual good fast paced stuff

but im obv lacking in the visuals department now

There are a plethora of options, some you can change in the launcher, some in STAN_OGL.cfg

Try setting anisotropy to 0
Try enabling fast scaling/ disabling scaling all together
Try disabling the new starfields, they use up a chunk of texture memory, it may be worth our while including a lower res alternative.

Also, can you post your specs?

FireFly, are you using a nVidia card? If so, look for a "Image Quality" setting in your drivers, inside the "Performance & Quality" set of options. The "High Performance" setting does make the game unusually slow on my system, so you might try setting it to just "Performance"... at least, that works for me.

If that's not the case we would be interested in more details about your system, specially the video card.

Just a quick question before I start to play: this new OpenGL mode - does it only scale gameflow backgrounds from stan_640.tre? Why not from stan1024.tre?

Just a quick question before I start to play: this new OpenGL mode - does it only scale gameflow backgrounds from stan_640.tre? Why not from stan1024.tre?

The dll doesn't control what images are loaded and some menus haven't been replaced, so you'd have to scale everything differently, giving inconsistant mouse size and speed.
However, it's a work in progress and the standoff team is ingenious. Pete's proposed a good system of embedding override information into textures, this will give us a lot of flexibility, so hopefully this will make it into episode 5

Sorry, I meant no offence. Now that I can play in 1600x1200 again, everything is looking beautiful. One mission down, many more to go. :)

Yeah, if half of our Ep 5 ideas come true, it'll be a nice facelift for Standoff. Pedro already knows that using the highest resolution graphics for scaling is pretty high on my wish list, even though there's more impressive stuff he could be putting his time into. ;)

None taken, and if thats the biggest complaint it receives I'll be very happy.
Well, aside from working out that I still needed stan_640.tre for the OpenGL mode to run, I haven't had any problems. Everything is so much nicer than a few days ago, when I was replaying episodes 1-3.

I realise you have been working very hard on this already, but is there any chance of you working with HCl to back-port your OpenGL enhancements to the Prophecy and Secret Ops high-resolution patches in the distant future? I wouldn't mind if the pretty stars don't make it in, but being able to play at 1600x1200 is such a joy.

In comparison, DirectX 32-bit doesn't work for me, and I also experience serious slow-down with Prophecy @ 1600x1200, FSAA and anisotropic filtering. (Turning off FSAA or reducing the resolution removes the jerkiness, but then it doesn't look as nice.)

Edit: Not a technical issue, but I notice plot-deaths don't get reflected in the killboard. :)

I realise you have been working very hard on this already, but is there any chance of you working with HCl to back-port your OpenGL enhancements to the Prophecy and Secret Ops high-resolution patches in the distant future? I wouldn't mind if the pretty stars don't make it in, but being able to play at 1600x1200 is such a joy.

Well I did realise an early beta a while back, its very out of date now though. Whilst obviously Standoff was the priority as they gave me the project in the first place (for which I'm grateful, graphics was my bit at Uni, so even a fixed function pipeline job like this is a ray of sunshine in my day, 100 times so when its for WC), integrating into Prophecy/SO has always been on my mind.
Last I spoke to HCl about that he seemed eager to integrate the two, but he's a very busy man. Some of the hi-res patch enhancements such as viewing distances will be easily integrated but there are some refinements that will be best with some collaboration. Also I'm still waiting on the rest of Fillers hi-res HUD, his job is keeping him very busy. Basically it's in the pipeline but I'm hoping not to release until it's as near perfect as can be.

Thanks, that's good to know, and definitely something to look forward to. The high-res HUD would be handy too. It felt a bit odd seeing low-res, upscaled HUD graphics layered on top of the high-res flight engine. :)

BTW, how does your OpenGL modification compare with zeckensack's Glide wrapper? I know that's a general purpose library and not specific to WCP/SO, but are the principles in any way similar?

Finally, Standoff that displays properly in 1080 widescreen and (presumably) 32-bit colour with my ATI card! :) I must restart the game at some point to really enjoy the cinematics. Thank you!

I found the OpenGL performance to be quite playable, except for the odd pause when I am in view of an exploding fighter. Is it related to the custom debris that Episode 4 introduced?

Would love the ability to move or auto-center the window when the game is in windowed mode... no big deal on that one though.

I think the slow down is more a case of multiple explosion textures being layered together. I have the same issue when a fighter blows up in front of me, but the slow down is only momentary.

nah wedge it isnt that

my specs are:

Pentiuim 4

2 Ghz

256 Ram

NVidia GeForce 2

Running: Win XP SP2

and how do i access my visual card's properties?

No, I'm pretty sure it is. If you've ever played GoldenEye and had several explosions in the same place, you'll know that the frame rate slows ridiculously when the smoke textures fill the majority of the screen.

And for comparison's sake, I believe my Standoff system is marginally better than yours:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2 GHz)
1.25 GiB RAM
256 MiB ATi Radeon 9600XT

So it would make sense if we have a similar graphical experience in Standoff, no?

BTW, nVidia usually has some sort of tray application for accessing video card properties. Alternatively, you should also be able to find it in Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced...

Back