Standoff Ep. 4 Is Over Slow

Oh, sorry, I was referring to Mincemeat's post regarding momentary slow down while flying through explosions. Didn't realise you were referring to your original post.

Wow to respond to all of these:

If explosions are slow then disable anisotropic filtering (set it to zero) either in the launcher or STAN_OGL.cfg. This is a drain at high resolutions (and somewhat pointless on explosions but atm I don't know what texture I'm loading so can't enable/disable on a case by case basis).

The dll... is not really a wrapper, origin did did us a big favour, put the hardware dependent implementations in dlls, the game is very clever, it automatically detects matching dlls. For more information see 3D Game Engine Programming, interestingly, not only is it the only other place I've seen this done but the author mentions that he first used the engine to create a Wing Commander style title. Its a safe bet that he was inspired by Prophecy.

If the menus are slow then disable scaling in STAN_OGL.cfg. This is an expensive operation, it pushes one of my cores to about 60%, so older machines should not use this. If it is slow in game however that is a different issue, bitmaps are scaled differently when the belief is that we're in game.

Constant slowdown (ie, in menus, with mouse lag etc) in nVidia cards will happen if you have the Image Quality on the drivers set to "High Performance". I've added this to the FAQ as well.

Right click empty space on your desktop, if the "Nvidia control panel" option shows up in the menu, that's where you want to go.

If not, then you probably have an older driver, so you have to click Properties, go to the rightmost tab (Settings, or Configuration, or something like that... my OS is not in english :p), then click the Advanced button. A new window will open and it should have a tab with all your video card settings in there.

If explosions are slow then disable anisotropic filtering (set it to zero) either in the launcher or STAN_OGL.cfg. This is a drain at high resolutions (and somewhat pointless on explosions but atm I don't know what texture I'm loading so can't enable/disable on a case by case basis).
Hmm, yeah, it does seem a little pointless on explosions, but I understand the limitations you have to work with. For me, the slowdown isn't very significant at all, it's much the same as I would expect in any other game in similar circumstances. But I suppose the effect could be worse for other players.

Hi people. I've made a small patch to update Pedro's OpenGL mode and install that missing DLL. Get it here. Please try it and tell me if it solves your problems.

Well, Pedro has made general improvements to it to try and fix the slowness on some machines, but if you didn't experience general slowness or missing DLL problems in the launcher, it probably won't do you any noticeable good.

I tested this patch out last night before Pete posted it and have to say that it has GREATLY improved playability on my crappy laptop. I can run in OpenGL now with some cursor slowness on the Firekka, but in spaceflight I didn't notice any frame drops when I tried W1 and W2 and tried to put as many ships as possible into the viewable area.

Finally I don't have to deal with all that shit that I did when using D3D. It's great to see the Firekka without a random texture hole in the middle.

Thanks to everyone for getting this one out the door. Now I need to go back and replay Ep4 with GL on so I can take in all the visuals. So very kick ass.

For your peace of mind, the patch doesn't seem to do anything detrimental to PCs which already had OpenGL working. :)

That's great, but we have another version for you to test :p Please download it here. If everything's fine with that one too I'll update the main install packages.

It might be worth mentioning that, IIRC, the Vision engine has a framerate limiter - so if you already got fluid performance all throughout the game before, chances are we can't improve it at all. :p

I can't play Standoff in OpenGL mode. When I launch, the process simply terminates without throwing any error. Installed the patch located earlier in this thread.

I have no problems at all in DirectX mode.

I've attached a DxDiag logfile for my system's configuration.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.4 KB · Views: 212
No problems at all in 16-bit DX mode, or in both? Because if you can run 32-bit DX, that would be two weird things instead of one. :p

I think we'll have to wait for Pedro to take a look at this one.... doesn't look to me like you should have any problems with openGL, but I'm hardly the expert.

Well, first thing I can say by looking at your file, your drivers are dated from May - it wouldn't hurt to update them and tell us if it helps.

Back