Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

Originally posted by Wildshot

I know from being on both ends of the camera, chroma key is hard!
The lighting has to be just perfect otherwise patches of blue or green or whatever your BG color is will show up. That means you need to have lights to compensate for every move the actors make because every time they move their shadows change the lighting on the background. Then the actors have to be positioned so that the scene makes sense, which is very hard and normally takes a lot of takes, although Lucas probably shot the actors than built the scene around them. Then you have to keep from laughing because yeah, anyone looks ridiculous fighting a screen.

I wonder how Christopher Lee managed the fight with Yoda.

George Lucas: "OK Yoda's in front of you but he's moving really fast and spinning and flipping around the place. Action!"
Christopher Lee: "Err. Say that again." :p

Anyways the Droidekas seriously unbalanced Episode I. I mean George Lucas said that the stormtroopers were supposed to replace the droids because they were better. Compared to the battle droids that's true. But the droidekas, with their speed, shields and rapid fire guns leave everyone in their dust, Jedi included.

Originally posted by Penguin

George Lucas: "OK Yoda's in front of you but he's moving really fast and spinning and flipping around the place. Action!"
Christopher Lee: "Err. Say that again." :p

Like I said, they probably choreagraphed a fight scene, filmed it in front of the green screen, then built Yoda's moves around that.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I think 100 sounds right. It was quite a large arena - hence the repeated exposition shots which our resident 'critic' despises so much.

WHY THE F*CK DID THEY HAVE TO POSE?!?!!? (This is me making fun of myself, which I'm doing since Frosty ain't around too much on here anymore)

Christopher Lee is an old hand when it comes to working around SFX. He knows all about landing on marks and what not; what was more absurd: Fighting Yoda or speaking in tounges to a blue screen during that big panning shot during LOTR?

Originally posted by LeHah

WHY THE F*CK DID THEY HAVE TO POSE?!?!!? (This is me making fun of myself, which I'm doing since Frosty ain't around too much on here anymore)

Christopher Lee is an old hand when it comes to working around SFX. He knows all about landing on marks and what not; what was more absurd: Fighting Yoda or speaking in tounges to a blue screen during that big panning shot during LOTR?

First point: Maybe Lucas wanted to establish that there were a lot of Jedi present without leaping straight into the action.

Second point: Well as long as it turns out all right...

I'd rather a single large exposition shot then 5 shots of two or three Jedi at a time.

I'd rather the whole colluseum be immersed in flame, killing all parties involved. We don't always get what we want. :D

Therein lies the problem, LeHah... you should never ignore people. Each person's opinion has it's own distinct flavor, and it's own value. Even yours. :D As a whole, we make up a community. As individuals, we're just a bunch of insane people griping about something which holds no bearing on reality.

Well, excuse me for being out of sync with the rest of the forum. I'll return to being an jackass momentarily.

i've been playing Starlancer and it doesnt seem to be a bad game at all..i just hate it that you are responsible for everything and your wingmates never get in trouble for stuff. I also hate having to shoot down the torpedoes..i thought the carriers and cruisers could handle them like in XWA. I'm not done yet...on the mission where you fly stolen enemy torp bombers. that mission stinks bad..i hate it. i do like the variety of the fighters, but you have so little time to enjoy them all, my fav is the Mirage..a good all purpose fighter...great weapons and nice missile capacity. I hope the sequel will be better.

Originally posted by Dark_Knight
i've been playing Starlancer and it doesnt seem to be a bad game at all..i just hate it that you are responsible for everything and your wingmates never get in trouble for stuff. I also hate having to shoot down the torpedoes..i thought the carriers and cruisers could handle them like in XWA. I'm not done yet...on the mission where you fly stolen enemy torp bombers. that mission stinks bad..i hate it. i do like the variety of the fighters, but you have so little time to enjoy them all, my fav is the Mirage..a good all purpose fighter...great weapons and nice missile capacity. I hope the sequel will be better.

Do you find Gamma Wing annoying to defend all the time? You'd think they'd be loaded out with some sort of defensive turrets, so they could have at least a semblance of independency like the Broadsword...

...the Droidekas seriously unbalanced Episode I. I mean George Lucas said that the stormtroopers were supposed to replace the droids because they were better.
If you mean missing by a metre as opposed to ten metres, yes, this is better. :)

But the droidekas, with their speed, shields and rapid fire guns leave everyone in their dust, Jedi included.
I thought the same thing myself - they seem like an ideal solution to the Jedi's lightsabre reflection techniques... I don't think we've seen anyone successfully deal with them aside from Anakin shooting them with starfighter blasters in Episode I.

Originally posted by LeHah
WHY DID THEY HAVE TO POSE?!
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned anything on that. You can't please everyone - I personally liked the close up shots since the background Jedi would otherwise be just that, we wouldn't even see their faces or recognise that there were other Jedi beyond Qui-Gon, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Mace.

I've been playing Starlancer... I just hate it that you are responsible for everything and your wingmates never get in trouble for stuff.
How is this different from Wing Commander? ;)

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned anything on that. You can't please everyone - I personally liked the close up shots since the background Jedi would otherwise be just that, we wouldn't even see their faces or recognise that there were other Jedi beyond Qui-Gon, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Mace.

Reaction shots are one thing. Close ups are something else. But posing is damned stupid. "I'm a Jedi! Let me pose to show my styles!". Yuck.

LeHah: Give 'em a break. They hardly get any camera time as it is and they're all going to get wiped out in a few years or so :(

Everyone [interested in WC] should read Aaron Allston's contributions - two of his SW novels are from the NJO series (yet to buy them, but brief flick through shows his humour is still there). After all, he wrote Claw Marks. :)

I just got done reading the second of his books written for the NJO series and I can vouch for his humorous side. I've also read the four X-Wing series novels he has written and those are also very good books.

I hope the sequel will be better.

Uhmmm.... probably aint gonna happen. :(

I want one too, but they haven't even gotten enough dough to put out the expansion pack they suppossedly had in the works.

Originally posted by Mav23

Uhmmm.... probably aint gonna happen. :(

I want one too, but they haven't even gotten enough dough to put out the expansion pack they suppossedly had in the works.

If by sequel he meant Freelancer, then it damned well better come out or Microsoft'll probably be rather angry.

Back