Size of the Behemoth?

Originally posted by pygmypiranha
Possibly. Dreadnoughts are just too fricken large. Almost like the Death Star almost....

A dreadnought is 22 klicks. A Death Star is 160 klicks. Do the math :p

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm sure it'd take more ships and much more time to destroy it than that. :)

Makes me wonder, if you started shooting it with an Excal somewhere, would the bridge just start laughing their evil Kilrathi laughs, as their shield output went to 99%, then to 100%, and just kept doing so for an hour? :)

Generally Confed can be considered to be technologicaly more advanced, altough i think that the size of that Kilrathi dreadnaught is "slightly" over-exagregated. :)

The Behemoth is of no use, it doesn't give any advantage besides to put fear into the enemy by its ability to obliterate a whole planet. You don't actually have to *destroy* a planet, rendering it virtually inhabitatable is more than sufficient. Once planetary shields are down, this task could easily be performed with some bomber wings carrying a thermo-nuclear payload.
And if they aren't sufficient (against subterranean facilitys for example), anti-matter warheads would be for sure.

Hehe. Gotta go with LOAF on this one, I don't remember anything, anywhere, about planetary shields. (Although I will admit my memory is terrible if such a thing HAS been said in WC before.)

Given the high technological level of the Nephilim it is not impossible that they have some meanings of shielding a whole planet...

But the Nephilim haven't shown themselves to be Confed's technological superiors. why would they waste their time shielding planets anyway? They don't seem to be planet-based as is.

Didn't Halcyon once mention something in SM1 about Goddard's orbital defences not being able to deflect the Sivar Dreadnought's energy attack? Would that imply some sort of planetary shield?

"Orbital defenses" does not necessarily mean a planetary shield. In reference to Goddard Colony, orbital defenses would probably be things like spacebourne laser turret bouys and any fighter wings stationed on the planet or its orbital stations. In other words, the defenses would not be a passive shield, but instead be made up of weapons to shoot down any approaching enemy.

Shielding an entire planet would probably take resources and technology beyond the reach of Confed, however. The energy to maintain a shield would increase in proportion to its area, and a planet-sized shield would take incredible power.

We've never seen a planetary shield... we've seen planetary-based shields (ie, the base on McAuliffe had a shield), but never anything on a large scale.

Well, here's a question then: Would a planetary shield taake more power than the Behemoth did? And if not, hwy wouldn't it be possible to build it?

I don't know Zor, that's a good question. Although I do find myself wondering, if you can shield a base as large as McAuliffe, would it be possible to shield a moon with that same technology? Seems to make sense if the sizes were about right. (Which would be the best thing on this "planetary shield" equivilancy. But that's still not a planetary shield.)

Although I would tend to agree with Ijuin, that unless they were talking about the super-shield McAuliffe had, it would be a more responsive defense network.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
But the Nephilim haven't shown themselves to be Confed's technological superiors. why would they waste their time shielding planets anyway? They don't seem to be planet-based as is.

They are able to create an artificial jumpnode, as well as to build a fleet plasma cannon. I think that could be considered as technological superior to confed. ;)

Altough, it is more probable that the jumpnode in Kilrah was closed through some phenomeon and the Nephilim where "merely" able to open it. Because if they could open a jumpnode at any location they want to, wouldn't they simply save themselfs the effort and open another jumppoint in Sol?

A planetary shield does not necesarrly mean a shield enveloping a whole planet, since that would be pretty pointless. Usually there would be a handfull of important areas, a shield system protecting this areas would be sufficient and can be considered a planetary shield as well.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone, just to get that out first. Wasn't there a spot in End Run where Thrakhath orders Kilrah's planetary shielding to be raised at the thought of damage to the homeworld? I don't have my copy of End Run here with me at school, so it's entirely possible that my memory is false.
Any one have their copy handy?
Iceheart

Originally posted by Iceheart
I'm not trying to contradict anyone, just to get that out first. Wasn't there a spot in End Run where Thrakhath orders Kilrah's planetary shielding to be raised at the thought of damage to the homeworld? I don't have my copy of End Run here with me at school, so it's entirely possible that my memory is false.
Any one have their copy handy?
Iceheart

I'd guess that any Planetary shielding would be localised. (For instance around the palace). Against standard orbital bombardment, the shield should hold. Against something like the Behemoth or T-Bomb, any localised shielding would not help.

Cheers

Contact planetary defense, get shielding up to maximum and the hell with security.

If anything, I would think it's shielding around the planetary defense stations...

Back