Size of the Behemoth?

This question has always been on my mind. Just how big is the Behemoth? I know for sure that it's massive. But is it bigger than the Kiranka -class dreadnaught that the Kilrathi used in WC3? Whether it is or it isn't... how long and how much mass do you think it has? What would the armament for a ship that huge be?

Big. Really big. If you thought the walk to the corner store was far, don't try walking the length of the Behemoth.

LOL.... thanks Shrike but that's a little vague for me. I know this thing is huge. I want to know just how big it is. Is it safe to say that it's the largest vessel/structure in the WC universe? Also another question I have..... do you think that there is a possibility that Confed would need to construct another ship like the Behemoth ,if not exactly like it, in order to effectively take the fight to the Nephilim?

I forgot the actual length of it...about 5 km?...Loaf would know. However, this weapon is impracticle; it is only effective against planets. What if you miss with that huge weapon? It will take a while to charge back up. Besides, plasma guns on a flight of Devestators with ample cover would accomplish the job much quicker and efficiently than a Behemoth.

The ability to destroy a planet with a single shot is exactly what I'm talking about. Confed has no idea how good the Nephilim planetary defenses are. What if that ravenous virus is actually in the atmosphere of Nephilim controlled planets. Sending a planetary invasion force in would be suicide. Also, a ship like the Behemoth would easily be able to nail a slow moving cap ship like a Tiamat -class dreadnaught without any problem. Somehow I don't think that the same stunt that was pulled on Kilrah would work again for Confed against the Nephilim. I'm guessing that it would literally take every Devastator in Confed's arsenal to do the job that one Behemoth type ship could do. As far as it goes for the Behemoth being a wide open target... I'm sure you remember that it was never completed in WC3. I'm sure the original specs had that baby armed to the teeth. Also, I think that 5 kiloms is a little short for that thing. The Victory was 790 meters long. In the video that showed the Behemoth firing it's main weapon the Victory was flying towards the Behemoth from a considerable distance away. It didn't even get close to the Behemoth before it fired and it was still dwarfed. If in fact the Behemoth is 5,000 meters long then that means it would be roughly 6 times longer than the Victory. Watching those videos of the Victory battle group and the Behemoth jumping to a new system makes me believe that the Behemoth is a hell of a lot bigger than 5 kiloms. I know you didn't say that for sure. I'm just saying that it's definitely bigger.

Yeah that's a good point, but also think about the multiple counter-points...it took an extreme amount of time and resources to build it. All the bugs would have to do is target the BIG SoB specifically and boom, much time and money down the drain. A small fighter would have a much better chance at killing a planet because you could choose to fit a whole bunch with Temblors. Therefore, your odds go up on fried exoskeleton instead of the one chance with Behemoth. The scales tip on this one, sorry.

Temblor bombs only worked on kilraha. they are not guarenteed to work on all panets, only tectonically active planets. The moon would not be effected by a Temblor Bomb as it has a static surface.

Temblors might not neccessarily work in this case. The Temblors were designed with the techtonic weaknesses of Kilrah in mind. A planet whose techtonic plates are strong.... say that of Earth... would not be affected that much ,if at all. The Behemoth could always be built in secret. Like in one of those far off systems that everyone forgot that Confed even owned. Besides, we'd be in enemy territory during the initial offensive. I don't think the bugs are gonna try to send a fleet of ships back through into enemy territory to do an 80 system search for something they might not even find while their homes are being threatened.

I see what you're saying as far as it goes for the Nephilim sending everything they've got at the Behemoth. But I seriously doubt that Confed would make the same mistake of sending it with minimal support. I guarantee that a whole battle fleet and then some would be assigned with protecting that ship. They could jump in... fire.... and jump out. All the while the destroyers and cruisers would provide cover fire against cap ship missiles and enemy bombers along with the huge complement of fighters that would be involved.

They can always be researched some more and upgraded.

I am telling you, man, the big B was outclassed from the beginning, even when complete. It just isn't effective ship to ship. Once fighter cover is depleted, a very small group of destroyers (maybe...3) could snuff it.

You can't jump just like that...you must get to a jump point first! The bugs could call for reinforcements in a nearby system, and ambush near the point.

I understand that it wouldn't be so easy to jump in and jump out. I know it takes time. The Behemoth wouldn't just be made from the original specs. It could be enhanced beyond the original specs. I'm not talking about the Behemoth going one on one with an enemy ship. We're talking an entire battle fleet protecting one huge gun that would, when employed effectively, lock in very important early victories for Confed.

The problem is that the Behemoth wasn't a conventional weapon in any sense -- it was a psychological weapon: scare the Kilrathi into surrendering by convincing them you have the ability to destroy planets. It couldn't *actually* go around whacking entire galaxies worth of planets...

Either way, it was 11 kilometers long.

(The dreadnoughts in WC3 were 'Hvar'kann class', not Kiranka... too much fanfic;))

BTW... the name Kiranka wasn't my personal label for those ships. I can't quite remember where that came from. All I know is that a couple years ago someone told me that Kiranka was their official name. I need to come here more often.

In response to something or other down the page, it's unknown what the effects of the Behemoth would be on a tectonically stable planet...

LOL, the dreadnaught is freakin huge! It took me 20 mins with an Excalibur on full guns to destroy it.

Dude, you're not kidding! I hated that damn thing! Thank God for invincibility! The scariest thing of all is that they had more than one of them running around. I'd still take one of those over a Tiamat any day as far as being in control of one.

Back