shipyard wip

AD said:
At least in Canada though, our military bases are refered to as CFB {base name}... So one of the ones in BC is CFB (canadian forces base) Esquimault. http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/marpac/base-units/marpac_base-units_e.asp

I don't know if there is is an equivalent designation in the American military but I assume there is. As far as Wing Commander is concerned I don't remember them ever using one. But It wouldnt be TCS because the "S" stands for ship

WC2 simply refers to "Caernarvon Station" for example. Wing Commander three has "Blackmane station". WC4 has "orlando depot," "Bluepoint Station," and "Ella Starbase."

I know it's going OT, but in the UK naval bases get two names. One is the actual base name and one is an honourary ship name. Eg. RNAS Culdrose is also HMS Seahawk, RNAS Portland is also HMS Serepta. (RNAS = Royal Naval Air Station, HMS = Her Majesty's Ship).

Perhaps bases in WC do have a proper military designation but we never hear them, otherwise how would people differentiate between civilian and military?

To play devil's advocate, we do see bases with ship-like designations several times: the Pegasus patch in the Terran Confederation Handbook says "CSS Pegasus" on it... and then the menu screens for the two WC3 3DO Kilrah depots (Chinook and Apache?) call them both 'TCS {Name}'.

So would CSS mean Confederation Space Station? And are those two depots TCS meaning ship as in the HMS example from the UK?
The only one I can remember having a specific mention rather than some kind of designation is Perry Naval Base from Priv, which is a bit non-specific for the military isn't it?

'CSS' is used by some sources instead of 'TCS'. We hear about a 'CSS Suffolk' taking out a Kilrathi base in Wing Commander I, for instance. Presumably, it comes from the fact that CSS was the designation used by the Confederate States of America for their ships.

That was the confusion in 1990, anyway, when they hadn't really decided what they'd go with (Terran Confederation Ship v. Confederation Space Ship).

The Handbook seems to use 'CS' for ships and 'CSS' for stations -- so it stands to reason that we might say 'TCS' for Terran Confederation Ships and 'TCSS' for Terran Confederation Space Stations.

Perry Naval Base seems like an appropriate military name -- it fits with most of the other naval bases we see... Pegasus Naval Base, Caernaven Station, Olympus Station, etc.

Just wondered if we should be saying TCSS Caernaven Station. After all we just call US Naval Stations by their location name. Like Guantanamo Bay for example. No one in the news ever refers to it as "US Naval Station Gunantanamo Bay".
(That's just an example. I certainly don't want to kick off any kind of political discussion here, I just don't know of any other US naval stations. OK? Good.)
Not that this is getting way OT or anything :D
Chevieblazer - Whatever it should be called I think your shipyard is excellent. Two very enthusiastic thumbs way up!

Well, Caernaven may be a bad example... since it's apparently (in WC2) an In-System Security base and was formerly a science outpost of some sort.

ok...
i'm not sure in how far real world examples get us anywhere here, simply because the only fitting example would be skylab(no uss), mir and iss(would be kind of funny to call it the iss iss)
since the only operation human space station has no real name, there's little reference there.
i'd say it is a pretty safe bet the stations' names have some kind of affiliatory marker in their name, just as every military base has at the entrance, though these are all planetary camps. and i have have no idea what the tcmc would call those

one last note about the tubes:
this is because they aren't really there, just bump and specular mapped. if i went and moddeled them, the polycount would jump though the roof

My memory might be playin tricks on me but doesn't Victory Streak briefly mention some bases with the prefix TCN?
Either way the games and movie don't really use any designation so I'd just name the thing 'so-and-so' shipyards

i'm not sure in how far real world examples get us anywhere here, simply because the only fitting example would be skylab(no uss), mir and iss(would be kind of funny to call it the iss iss)

Skylab isn't a fitting example at all -- NASA isn't part of the military.

mir and iss(would be kind of funny to call it the iss iss)

I've certainly heard it referred to as ISS Alpha before (from its callsign).

My memory might be playin tricks on me but doesn't Victory Streak briefly mention some bases with the prefix TCN?

The GCM competition results refer to "Amber TCN base" and "Ralston TCN base". TCN stands for 'Terran Confederation Navy', not some kind of explicit space station designation.

Either way the games and movie don't really use any designation so I'd just name the thing 'so-and-so' shipyards

Read above. The Handbook uses 'CSS' for space stations.

Just to chuck another iron into the fire:
On the cover art of WC Privateer, Perry has a number "05". If it get's a number it must have some kind of designation.
Anyhow as there is only one ISS it seems a bit daft to call it ISS-1 or whatever. If they ever made a second it would be ISS-2, but as LOAF says that isn't military.

terroshak said:
Just to chuck another iron into the fire:
On the cover art of WC Privateer, Perry has a number "05". If it get's a number it must have some kind of designation.

Not necessarily - the German Kriegsmarine during WWII, for instance, used numbers but no prefixes (some sources use DKM, for Deutchland Kriegsmarine, but this is purely to bring it into line with contemporary ships - in reality, no internal designation was used).

I'd just call it "Shipyard Papenburg", anyway. Official documents are really the only thing that refer to bases by prefixes.

@ loaf: i was more aiming at the space station than the military part. as it seems there haven't been such a great number of space station in service until now, and none of them was military.
Unless you count in the nsa's secret hq on the back side of the moon:p

@ loaf: i was more aiming at the space station than the military part. as it seems there haven't been such a great number of space station in service until now, and none of them was military.
Unless you count in the nsa's secret hq on the back side of the moon

Well, that's not entirely true, either. The Soviets flew several Almaz military stations (Salyuts 2, 3 and 5) in the 1970s... and those were in response to the fact that the USAF developed (but did not fly) the Manned Orbiting Laboratory -- which was designated KH-10.

Not that it helps to clear up the WC naming system ,
but for the U.S. Army , Fort a permanent installation ,
Camp a semi-permanent instalation , Base a very temporary instalation ,
Air Field a place to land air craft regardless of it's expected life span .
Useless to the current discussion , but there it is.

Back