shipyard wip

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
here's a wip of the shipyard station we discussed about in the general discussion forum a while ago.

it weights about 8800 poligons, and each of the four scaffolds is a full kilometer in length and about 600 meters wide.
since the kilrathi superdreadnaught from the messia experiment has no place in the wc1 timeframe, this is about the biggest unit in the nexus mod

Nice design. I would say make the scaffold open...top or buttom...and give it some details like big spotlight pannels. Maybe the size that they fit between 2 or 3 frames.

Looks good!
Spotlights would be nice , Equipment shacks on lands on the sides maybe ?
If you go with open frame , I suggest alternating (outter open up /
inner open down ) . Maybe some long Tunnel "catwalks" from the main base
to the extrems of the docks ?
Unless of course the workers always "fly" out and go EVA then.

the inside of the panels will be illuminate when it's done, that for the floodlights.
the landings with stuff on them is a nice idea. i'll see how it looks

It's nice and all, but I get the fealing the asteroid part is just for show rather than actually being usefull. Try making the rock part bigger. The way you've got it set up now it might as well be a free floating dock/yard.

the asteroid is very large as it is. remember each of the ajacent docks is about 1 x 0.6 kilometers in size. the rock itself is about a mile long and two wide.
and the usefull thing about any asteroid base is that you save about 50% of the production costs;)
i had originally intended the docks to be on the asteroid, like pegasus had. problem is, that makes it so large fighters can't hit it really, because they are automatically out of range if they are outside the hitbox(which is automatically applied, i can't do anything about this) even so, i'll have to dump shields, because that would have the same effect.

here's some new detail, btw, showing the compületed hangar:

and here are some actual ingame ones, of the TCS Papenburg, the port hedland shipyard:

the third one should give you a fair idea of the size relations, the bengal is actually a little bit closer to the p.o.v. than the shipyard

Chevieblazer said:
and here are some actual ingame ones, of the TCS Papenburg, the port hedland shipyard:

You don't refer to stations and shipyards as "TCS" something.

At least in Canada though, our military bases are refered to as CFB {base name}... So one of the ones in BC is CFB (canadian forces base) Esquimault. http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/marpac/base-units/marpac_base-units_e.asp

CFB Esquimalt is Canada’s west coast naval base. It is a part of the Maritime Command (Navy) element of the Canadian Forces.

I don't know if there is is an equivalent designation in the American military but I assume there is. As far as Wing Commander is concerned I don't remember them ever using one. But It wouldnt be TCS because the "S" stands for ship

WC2 simply refers to "Caernarvon Station" for example. Wing Commander three has "Blackmane station". WC4 has "orlando depot," "Bluepoint Station," and "Ella Starbase."

hmm, thought that the s in tcs could stand for both ship and station, but that's no problem

@t.c.cgi:
you're referring to the white stuff in the first screenshot, not the blue white in the second, right?
cos in the second, it's actually luminacent panels

Chevieblazer said:
@t.c.cgi:
you're referring to the white stuff in the first screenshot, not the blue white in the second, right?
cos in the second, it's actually luminacent panels

In the first in-game shot, on the bunker on top, and the bulkhead bellow the landing pad.

yes, that's tubes. it looks a bit weird becuase they are in full daylight and the bumpmaps don't show very good from that angle

Chevieblazer said:
yes, that's tubes. it looks a bit weird becuase they are in full daylight and the bumpmaps don't show very good from that angle

I work with a lot of pipe, EMT and PVC. Nothing looks like that in full daylight, not even white PVC.

AD said:
I don't know if there is is an equivalent designation in the American military but I assume there is. As far as Wing Commander is concerned I don't remember them ever using one. But It wouldnt be TCS because the "S" stands for ship

WC2 simply refers to "Caernarvon Station" for example. Wing Commander three has "Blackmane station". WC4 has "orlando depot," "Bluepoint Station," and "Ella Starbase."

Yeah, I'd go with something like that. I have no actual knowledge of the US naming schemes, and won't bother looking into it since it's mostly irrelevant to the point of this thread, but some basic observation seems to indicate US Army bases seem to be "Fort" Something, Naval based are "Stations" and Air Force bases are "Fields." I also see abbreviations like "NAS" or "AFB" for Naval Air Station or Air Force Base attached to stuff. It's definitely nothing like USS/United States Station.

Back