Ships left out of games

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Hey i was looking at the various ships on the excellent fleet tactics site and WC saga site and i was informed about the ships that were left out of WC3 during programming. My question is Does anyone have a total list of ships that would have appeared in WC3 if time or money or space allowed? And also any similar omitted ships for the various other games? Pictures would be great. Thanks alot.

Here's some ships from the top of my head

Kilrathi light carrier (picture on Making of WC3 CD)

Kilrathi cruiser (pic ditto as above, I would think it's a light cruiser, since the Fralthi II was already confirmed by the WC3 official guide to be a heavy cruiser)

Kilrathi scout frigate (game had a transport in place for it)

I don't know much on the Confed side. There wasn't a fleet/heavy carrier model in WC3 though, because the game was set on the Victory. The frigate model wasn't in there, but WC4 took care of that.

Prince Thrakhath's flagship was not in the engine model in WC2. The only cut Confed ship from WC2 that I know from the top of my head is the CVA Jutland-class. Unfortunately, compared to what I put in Fleet Tactics, I think I might have done an error in saying that CVA meant 'attack carrier', if the classifications in the WC Bible was anything to go by, the 'A' in CVA didn't mean 'attack', it meant 'armored with phase shields'.

I'm not really sure I'd go so far as to say they were left out - over the course of a design, hundreds of sketches are made and discarded for any number of reasons.

I'd limit the concept of ships being "left out" to those that were actually rendered but left unused - WC1's Kilrathi corvette, WC3's triangle-transport, etc.

So, off the top of my head:

Spikeri - Kilrathi corvette "cut" from WC1. Supposedly the artwork was done but left unused (though I've never seen it).

Hha'ifra - Designed as a "final boss" for WC2, but cut for space/balancing. Appears only in a 3D cutscene.

WC3 Transport - The "triangular" Kilrathi transport was designed for WC3, but ended up being used only in the 3DO port. It was later re-used in WCIV's 3D "flaspack" scene, and as art for the WC:CCG.

Strakha - A version of the Kilrathi cloaked fighter was rendered in the 'Privateer' style (more curved angles, tan paint scheme, etc.). It would have been the third Kilrathi ship in the game. Cut for space issues.

Unknown SWC Ship - A 3D model of a new Kilrathi capital ship was rendered but not used for Super Wing Commander. It's been dubbed "Spikeri" after the missing WC1 ship.

Good one. Another might be the Confederation-class, updated with new graphics for WCIV but cut for technical/story reasons.

psych said:
Kilrathi scout frigate (game had a transport in place for it)

Well remembered.

Now, was that a standard transport model, or did it some difference?

At first, it looked like the kats were using adapted transports as scouts. That's not too unlikely, since Confed used an adapted transprot as a jamming device on WC4.

Are there any pictures/references with these ships, or did they wind up getting thrown in the recycling bin?

Just be interested in seeing what the Confederation class they planned for WCIV looked like.

Nob Akimoto said:
Are there any pictures/references with these ships, or did they wind up getting thrown in the recycling bin?

Just be interested in seeing what the Confederation class they planned for WCIV looked like.

I got the concept art of the Kilrathi lost 'light' cruiser on my site. The Kilrathi light carrier I arranged to have the concept art rendered and modeled, it is already complete.

Hey thanks for all the really useful info. I really enjoy this kind of stuff from the WC universe. I cant wait for the mods that utilize some of these designs and others. One thing i was wondering about is the feasability of posting the WC bible that LOAF and others are always discussing or posting pictures from the Kilrathi Saga calendar or manual or other material from that set.

Back