Ship Names, Political Ramifications

climber said:
Surely MacArthur was a general and not actually a navy man. They name ships after great Admirals, Nimitz and such but I cant see why they would name a ship after a general.

Saying that was Otto VonBismarck an Admiral, I am sure he was founder of the german fleet

Nope, Bismarck was a politician, founder of Germany. The founder of the German Fleet was Alfred von Tirpitz.
Speaking of the German navy, some of the most famous ships (or infamous, depending how you want to see it) Where named after generals.
KMS Scharnhorst
KMS Gneisenau
KMS Blücher

BanditLOAF said:
Unfortunately, we don't know what most Kilrathip ship names mean. We've have seen Kilrathi ships named after mythic warriors (KIS Karga), and ones named after 'concepts' (KIS Glory of Sivar, KIS Vengeance of Vukar Tag).

Maybe the Kilrathi named their ships after warriors and concepts that should guide a Kilrathi warrior .
That's what I think is how the swedish navy thought when they named some of their ships
HMSwS Äran (Honour)
HMSwS Manligheten (No good translation here, but something like "To be a Man")
HMSwS Ärligheten (Honesty)
HMSwS Rättvisan (Justice)
HMSwS Beredvilligheten (Willingness)

None of this ships exist to they though. Today the Swedish navy names their ships after cities or counties.
Anyway, the Kilrathi naming of ships is only a theory I have, but based on how their society was built it is perhaps the correct one

climber said:
it is TaRawa with the first two a's making a sounds rather than ah sounds.

Ta Ra Wah

::Buzzer:: Wrong. Hate to disappoint... I speak Japanese. Tarawa is the battle site of a US Marine invasion, a Japanese island. The a's in Japanese would be pronounced as "ah"s in English. The first syllable will get the stress...

"TAH rah wah"... Japanese syllable stress is very subtle, though. It might be appropriate to describe it as NO syllable getting a stress.

Sorry, but western civilizations have a habit of not pronouncing Japanese names by Japanese pronunciation rules. Likewise, Tarawa when said in English would not be pronounced like a Japanese word, but rather like an English word.

Marc said:
I can see it now, TCS Tora and TCS PearlHarbor side by side, fighting the good fight...

And Star Trek TNG already beat you to that idea.

TopGun said:
TCS Tora would be cool. Tora being Japanese for Attack

Erm, no.

"Tora" is Japanese for tiger. It was just used for signaling the successful beginning of an attack.

Bandit LOAF said:
* TCS Manassas - a class of light cruisers from the TV show... named after an important battle the Union lost?

Also an early Confederate ironclad that got blown up at New Orleans, IIRC. The Confed Manassassii (grr, plurals) seem to continue the tradition.

FlashFire82 said:
::Buzzer:: Wrong. Hate to disappoint... I speak Japanese. Tarawa is the battle site of a US Marine invasion, a Japanese island. The a's in Japanese would be pronounced as "ah"s in English. The first syllable will get the stress...

"TAH rah wah"... Japanese syllable stress is very subtle, though. It might be appropriate to describe it as NO syllable getting a stress.
Excellent. Thanks. I had no idea where the name came from.

(actually, for a while I kept misreading it as "Taworra", which for some reason reminds me of some kind of Australian flora...)

Marc said:
In what episode?

Best Of Both Worlds Part 1. At Wolf 359, there was a ship called the Kyushu and another one called... something involving the American fleet from WWII or something. Its been a while.

Actual episode where the "WW2" factor was placed was Redemption Pts. 1 and 2.

Task Force under Picard had a USS Akagi and a USS Hornet.

Actually, another interesting pair is USS Enterprise and USS Yamato from TNG. The USS Enterprise and IJS Yamato were on opposite sides at Midway in WWII.

Thanks for the info!
I've recently completed my collection fo Startrek TNG, DS9 and Voyager DVDs.
I spent a LOT of hours watching'em and fancied myself an expert. I'm evidently not.

TCS Earth... to lame? of course it would be a morale killer to lose it in battle.

Back