Ship Names, Political Ramifications

Nomad Terror said:
I do believe that the initial ship of the Confederation class dreadnaught was called the TCS COnfederation

Well the fact that there is a Confederation-Class, would suggest that there was a TCS Confederation

Thanks for the Info btw

Surely MacArthur was a general and not actually a navy man. They name ships after great Admirals, Nimitz and such but I cant see why they would name a ship after a general.

Saying that was Otto VonBismarck an Admiral, I am sure he was founder of the german fleet

I think any great Milltary Mind is suitable, Eisenhower was a General, before he become President, and there's a Carrier named after him

Quick question, is or was there ever a TCS Confederation?

Yes, the first ship of the Confederation-class. It would have entered service in 2660, a year before the TCS Concordia (CVS-65). (They both fit a name scheme, too -- both words referring to 'unions' of some sort.)

I wonder how this all works for Kilrathi ships and their names. I'm sure some would be named after great warriors.

Unfortunately, we don't know what most Kilrathip ship names mean. We've have seen Kilrathi ships named after mythic warriors (KIS Karga), and ones named after 'concepts' (KIS Glory of Sivar, KIS Vengeance of Vukar Tag).

Surely MacArthur was a general and not actually a navy man. They name ships after great Admirals, Nimitz and such but I cant see why they would name a ship after a general.

Perhaps a troop transport or assault carrier -- like the TCS General Powell.

Actually, saying that MacArthur didn't care much for the Navy would be putting it lightly. He would probably roll over in his grave if they named a ship after him.

Digging around, I have a few ones that are mysterious to me:

TCS Barkley
TCS Brack
TCS Coatmain
TCS Foehammer
TCS Hickok
TCS Holmen
TCS Pelileu
TCS Polemic
TCS Trygvie Lie
TCS U Thant

In many cases I can only guess references, in others I just wonder at the weirdness (The Polemic - but it seems like all Clydesdales have weird names), so if anyone has a clue, let me know...

Come on, Marshall is the comic relief. He doesn't get the girl, doesn't get promoted, and sure doesn't get a ship named after him. That would be entirely un-Wing Commanderish.

You think so? I think it would fit into the universe - I already see Maniac bragging about that ship is the best of the best, just like its namegiver (if it wasn't bad taste to name a ship after someone living - but that might go with Maniac's character rather well).

[And of course, Maniac got the girl at least three times and he got promoted rather often. ;)]

> TCS Barkley

Um... Charles? :D

> TCS Brack
> TCS Coatmain
> TCS Foehammer
> TCS Hickok

Possibly a nod to "Wild Bill" Hickock (assuming that the above was just a typo, as I don't recall it being spelled with "ok" at the end, in the game)

> TCS Holmen

As best as I and Google can tell, a city in Wisconsin, and one in Norway.

> TCS Pelileu

Pacific island that was the site of a US amphibious assault during WW2.

> TCS U Thant

The third Secretary General of the UN (which makes sense for a Diplomatic Corps ship, if I'm not misremembering the details of that mission).

As for the others, no idea.

TCS Barkley

Probably former Vice President Alben Barkley.

TCS Brack

Named for Origin Quality Assurance Lead J. Allen Brack.

TCS Coatmain

Could be "Cootmain". But I have no idea what it means.

TCS Foehammer

The first group of Murphy's has names like this: Foehammer, Soulcutter, Wayfinder and Farslayer. I don't think it has a historical reference -- just a combination of words like "Tiger's Claw".

TCS Polemic

Just a concept, like "Freedom" or "Victory" (though the latter is also a historical reference). Means a controversy or an argument.

TCS Trygvie Lie

First Secretary General of the UN.

Foehammer is the translation of the Elvish word Glamdring, the sword used by Gandalf in JRR Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings." I think Wayfinder was also a sword in a fantasy novel, possibly one by David Gemmell (can't remember at the moment). Using the names of magical swords may be a tongue-in-cheek reference to Excalibur, as in the WC fighter :)

Back