Screenshots Release Thread

Some of us do have some taste, you know.

I knew you were using FRED to do the missions. I was concerned that the *end product* might not be compatible after you get done messing with fs2.exe file.

Oh good thing to mention...you would need a special version of FRED IIRC.
Beside that all people who are just owning the demo won't have FRED after all ^_^

But generaly spoken its right that everyone could do something with all the stuff we made...except...well there is just something coming up my mind that could make it difficult for others...but sure not impossible.

Hello again,

in case you ever asked yourself how a kilrathi-starbase looks from
the inside, well here is your chance to take a look into it. BTW, those are
ingame screenshots, you can see the HUD in the picture. Oh, and I know,
it has this little Star Wars-touch, but I guess kilrathi would use reactors also :p
(I have to look for a higher detailed hangar-texture though).

approaching the Base:
k-base1.jpg

set course for the hangar-bay
k-base2.jpg

there is coming something into view
k-base3.jpg

finally, the heart of the base
k-base4.jpg
k-base5.jpg
k-base6.jpg

There is the main-reactor.
k-base7.jpg

holy god damn fucking easter mother fucking sunday! with a cherry on top too!

That looks really really great....

Pulmonox said:
Star Wars nothing! It's Descent!!!!

WOW! That's feakin' amazing!!!!

yay, excellent work Starman.

btw, Pulmonox, any luck with the voice overs? You should be careful since from time to time we use 2 names for the same person. (Colonel XXX and Wing Commander)

Lynx said:
Actually this is one thing which makes me feel uneasy actually, because I'm afraid what crap mods and edits are possible for the fanboys out there. :(

that's why we publish in VPs sop we can patch easily without worrying about what the fanboys have done to their system

just curious...

what other kinds of kilrathi installations can we plan to see? normal starbases? superbase? field refit yard? etc...just wondering...

Dundradal said:
just curious...

what other kinds of kilrathi installations can we plan to see? normal starbases? superbase? field refit yard? etc...just wondering...

that is a triple A information, man ;)

shhhh...some guys over from intel told me that there will be at last 2-3 different kilrathi bases...but don't tell anyone ^_^

If you want more informations you have to wait till our information department for the CIC decides to show some pics.

was reading this thread from the start and saw something i should have replied to. so here it is.

Lynx said:
@t.c.cgi: The model proportions are exactly the same as in the WC3 version. Whoever modeled this (I think it was Sheherazade or Kruer) apparently took the original WC3 mesh and modified. At this point, I bow to everyone who works with models directly ripped from the games. Either the conversion screws the models up, or the guys at Origin hadn't ever heard of clean modelling. :D

it was scratch made. i modelled it with a scan of the wc3 poster thunderbolt as my max viewport background, so the proportions are exactly as those.
(i never modify game models. modifying is often more trouble than making it from scratch, or at least not as fun)

also, harroldthemadcow made the original texture, which i don't think was kept.

it was made for homeworld, so the geometry was kept light. there are 5 LOD versions of this specific model in total, of which telling form the screenshots i think the highest is used.

the crappy cockpit lighting is in fact the vertex normals. assuming you can recalculate normals, you can adjust the lighting on the cockpit. some quake3 tools like Npherno's MD3 compiler (see planetquake/polycount) can smoothe normals for you.

opengl and D3D commonly use smoothe (GL_SMOOTH or equivalent) lighting, meaning a linear interpolation of the intensity values at each vertex, taken from camera->vertex->light_source angle.

vertex normal recalculation tools can let you choose a lighting angle. each vertex on a mesh has N normals (N=number of shared triangles). if the angle between 2 normals is above a threshold, then they aren't averaged. some tools just average all normals (totally smoothe), some allow a threshoold, so you arean't stuck with smoothe looking 90 degree angles.

normally the API's take:

set(triangle)
begin()
vertex_location(x,y,z) // vetrex 1
normal(x,y,z) // vertex 1 normal
texture_coord(u,v) // vertex 1

vertex_location(x,y,z) // vertex 2
normal(x,y,z) // vertex 2 normal
texture_coord(u,v) // vertex 2

vertex_location(x,y,z) // vertex 3
normal(x,y,z) // vertex 3 normal
texture_coord(u,v) // vertex 3
end()

if you don't give a normal direction, it just uses the triangle-surface-normal.

but you can give it your own. SOME games read normals from the file (good news for you if you want smoothe looking low-poly models, where you control the appearance), SOME games don't, and just calculate their own. in which case the results are up to the designers.

so i'd suggest looking into npherno's tools, or playing with smoothe groups in max or deep exploration.
or just subdividing the tris a few times to get more samples.
or just making a better model, something not intended for a strategy game with tons of them on screen at once :)

i plan on eventually making a nicer one anyways when vegastrike has support for animations (so i can do landing gear, opening cockpit, eject sequence, etc)
after i finish programming some stuff for vegastrike, AND vegastrike finally supports proper animations.

-scheherazade

Yeah, as said, vertex based lighting looks like crap on some ships(like my Jutland :( ), especially with ambient light disabled and the shine effect. But there's a good possibility that it will be replaced by per-pixel ligthing in the near future, I've seen some of the SCP coders doing research into that direction.

any chance of us see maybe a peaceful confed battle group passing through the void? I would love to see a lexington and a jutland side by side just to get an idea of the new vessels were dealing with...that and it would make an incredible wallpaper....

Dundradal said:
any chance of us see maybe a peaceful confed battle group passing through the void? I would love to see a lexington and a jutland side by side just to get an idea of the new vessels were dealing with...that and it would make an incredible wallpaper....

shh... wait just a few days ;)

I have noticed that wallpaper are extremely popular right now :D

Back