Saddam Hussein caught!

Status
Not open for further replies.
xflvandamme, you are absolutely right about the free speech trip. And, I do agree that not every nugget handed to us from the breadbasket should be accepted blindly. But, there also comes a point when it's no longer free speech, but a bunch of immature people with nothing better to do, so they start running their fucking mouths about the first thing that's popular to bitch about.

In this life I've made a vow to seek out the most intelligent and mature paths for real life (being an asshole on the CZ notwithstanding, even though I've calmed down here quite a bit, too). In the situation of "Love America vs. Hate America", I've noticed that those who have nothing good to say, quite honestly have nothing good to say at all. When someone has a valid point that something is wrong, then that same one should take time to consider an alternative, and possibly even try to avoid jumping on a bandwagon idea which is equally flawed. If one refuses to do this, then they open their mouths to produce what could just as easily have come out of their ass.

Yes, I can agree that President Bush isn't perfect. It's true that he's not always so eloquent. It might even be true that he's not the shining hero that the republican party makes him out to be. But, I also take into consideration the alternative choice we had in the election of 2000, and I shudder to think of how we'd have come through the serious situations that followed had we not elected the man we elected.

Outside of the republican party, it's terribly unpopular to support President Bush right now. The current trend is to make jokes about him, just like it was the trend to snicker every time you thought of President Clinton and his reputation for infidelity in his marriage. Honestly, now, the whole thing is childish and immature. Whoever our next president is, whether he (or she) is republican, democrat, libertarian, communist, or Kilrathi, you'll find me looking for the best in him(/her), and not wasting my time on pointless stupidity that won't change anything anyway.

Again, free speech is a beautiful thing, and I thank my lucky stars for it, and for places such as this community where I can come and talk about things I enjoy. But, at the same time, just like anyone else, when I hear enough stupid bullshit, it makes me want to grab a few people by the ear and excersize my right of free speech, and possibly give a followup speech with the steel toe of my work boots.

Sorry to have taken this thread off-course.

No offense LOAF but the politician who said that, has a pretty good point. Our space program isn't going to add a heckuva lot of jobs to the market, which is what I am assuming this politician is running on. Right now I can't see the benefit of having it because of just what is going on down here. Ever since we went to the moon the first time, the Hubble Telescope and Space station Mir have been the most significant accomplishments. I just don't see what going to the moon again is going to do. But heck that is just me.

As for your comments overmortal, I know it is tough to listen to some stuff out there that you may or may not agree with. Personally I went to a basically all Democratic high school and found myself arguing with people all the time. After a while I figured that the only reason they argued with me so much was because they probably loved America as much as I did, just that their visions of it were much different than mine. I don't believe that some of the Hippies that were protesting against the war were truly in a "hate america" mode, most of them were college students probably looking to get out of exams. But a message of peace even though they probably skewed it up; has some validity to it, as well as the anti war movement. However I guess being the eternal "Tolwynist" that I am, and looking at the torture chambers and mass deaths as a result of Sadaam's regime makes me glad I was steadfast in my resolve for the war.

Plus I do agree with you about people who don't know what they are talking about sometimes. They may have the right message, but the way they present it makes me want to exercise my right to "set em straight".

Eh, a manned moon/mars mission would create plenty of jobs - look at what the how much money the MSI put into the private sector in the sixties. Save for a serious war or one of those programs to give jobs to stupid people, a serious moon effort could have a very positive effect on the economy.

(That said - none of that really matters. It just seems like our parents generation promised they'd change the world in the sixties... but instead we've had twenty years of arguing over which kind of baby its okay to kill and whether or not the government has the moral authority make corn bigger*. If we're not exploring the universe, we're just a bunch of losers.)

* - the correct answers are, respectively, anyone under eighteen and yes but not potatoes.

Bandit LOAF said:
... and I think we *all* know who one of those people was. :)

Oh, I've got an idea ;)

Bandit LOAF said:
If we're not exploring the universe, we're just a bunch of losers.

Damn straight. I've been saying that for a long time, now. George Washington couldn't have said it better!

xflvandamme said:
[...]play games like Wing Commander and watch a bunch of women wearing thongs running around a beach[...]
Wow, I thought I had all the WC games, but clearly, I missed that one :p.

I study for finals one weekend and you get involved in deep conversation without me...time to catch up :p

In response to OverMortal:

Many Americans claim they hate America, yet they refuse to exercise one key right: leaving.

In re America's Space Program:

I would love for it to continue; however, one important step to get the program to work is less waste.

In Bush's Defense (I know I'll get roasted for this):

You really have to look at OverMortal's post for this. He was the best of the given choices. Also, though the public blames him for the economic downturn, please note that the bubble showed signs of the burst before the 2000 election. His tax cut program did work. Though nowhere near as strong as the 1950s (I wish I was able to enjoy that economic prosperity), we are now seeing the end of that tunnel.

Is money misspent, yes. I would like to see that fixed as soon as possible. Would I like to see AMT curbed, yes.

The most important question for 2004: Is Bush the best candidate for the job? Answer: Maybe...we don't have enough info just yet. Some of our better leaders were expected to be "fillers" between good Presidents.

The Iraq Question: We will need to leave troops there for a few years, whether you like it or not. If we permit Bush a second term, we can do this the right way (reference to Post-WWII Germany, which did not have free elections until the mid-50s. Haste in something such as freedom will let Iraq collapse into another totalitarian government again.)

OK, so you may not like what I have to say. You think Iraq should have elections so our troops get home in time for Lent. However, do note that all good things -- be they new governments, careers, or marriages -- take time to properly develop. Imagine the education system if teachers were told to go over all work once and only once with regard only to speed. I will speculate that less than 1% of the currect educated population would actually exist.

oh, and before I head to class...good job bagging Husein. I give props to our people in Iraq (for bagging him) and to Bush who may or may not have misled us in order to get rid of him, and, unlike his father, had the manhood to keep going and finish the job properly. (I know there's a legitimate argument to not ousting Saddam in the early 90s, please refrain from bashing me on this point unless you actually know why it was done.)

Got to run to my law class...I'll catch you guys later

Bonkus Maximus

dextorboot said:
That's exactly what the British said about the American Colonies.
How kind of you to suggest an equivalency between my ancestors who fought for freedom, and those corrupt few who would fight to oppose freedom.

Your intellectual and moral confusion indicates a level of cognitive dissonance that shocks and awes. Bravo.

It's almost frightening how current events are making Forstchen's novels seem so much more reasonable.

Delance said:
It's almost frightening how current events are making Forstchen's novels seem so much more reasonable.

That means Forstchen is a prophet, maybe Dictator Zhing will show up afterall! :D

Zhing? There's more of a chance for Zod. Knell before Zod.

kneel_zod.jpg

Erm, anyway, I was talking about the self-defeating "peace" movement on FA and that sort of thing.

Lynx said:
With help of the french. NEVER....forget this. :p

I think its safe to say that we have paid the French back plenty. If saving thier asses in WWI wasn't enough, we got them out of the hands of the Germans. The French gave only a little help manpower wise and only limited supplies, the US would have won the war against the British in the long run due to sheer tenacity whereas the French were 80% conquered in WWI and totally knocked out of the war in WWII. They still owe us. You know it really pisses me off that they weren't ready to go in with us to get Saddam but now they are kicking and screaming cause Bush won't let them bid on the VERY lucrative US sponsored Iraq rebuilding contracts.

ChrisReid said:
Actually they're just now deploying several hundred brand new Stryker vehicles. They're armored like a tank but move on wheels like a hummvee. The first Brigdade is from Seattle so they show them on the news here all day.
I didn't think about that, but yeah, they've got the Strykers over there, which are more like the LAVs the Marines use (wheeled armored troop carriers), except higher tech. I think they'll help, but they're just one brigade or so in a single unit, and in any case, I don't think they were involved in the Hussein capture, which is why the bit about the Hummers originally came up.

As for the whole Bush-Gore thing, I think Gore would have done a good job if he had been elected president as far as the war on terrorism, and it's doing him a disservice to automatically dismiss him as a wimp. You just can't know, and most American presidents tend to come to similar positions when confronted with the realities of office. Although he probably would have made different choices on Iraq, and we'd still have Saddam Hussein over there. At least one thing can be said for Bush: he certainly sticks to his plans.

But hey yeah, down with the French! :)

Geebot said:
Although he probably would have made different choices on Iraq, and we'd still have Saddam Hussein over there.

Different choices . . . you mean like pulling America's pants down and bending over? Honestly, I think he would have made the "shame on you" signal with his fingers when the WTC was bombed. He would have encouraged America and all of her foreign residents to pray to "your respective dieties" that the boogeymen would go away. He would have kept on playing pussyfoot with Saddam, and, in the event that Saddam really did have WMD, we'd be having this conversation wearing gasmasks.

That's not to say that Gore wouldn't have made some good choices if the situation hadn't come, but, in the end, President Bush is kinda like Esther in the Bible. "You have come into the kingdom for such a time as this!" That is to say, he came into office when the office needed someone with balls of steel . . . or even isometal.

I think his domestic policies would have worked out pretty good, too, had things not happened the way they did.

Banning of that guy

I have been a lurker here for the past few months and am a big fan of the wing commander series. I found this site through a banner ad on somethingawful.com.

I have looked through these forums, and the site in general these past few months and have quite enjoyed what you have put together here. However i have not felt the need to post...until now.

The way you treated the "newbie" back on page one, was in my opinion unfair to say the least. His only crime seemed to be to posses a different opinion on the matters at hand (however wacky these may have been). He should still have been allowed to make his case, yet you banned him.

If you treat "newbies" and other people in this in my opinion wholly eliteist manner, then this community which you have built up here will slowly fade away into nothing. I know because i have seen this on many other fansites.

I have not registered here just to "argue with the regulars" but i felt that i needed to voice my opinion on this matter whether you want to hear it or not. If you feel you want to ban me too then thats your choice, but be warned that this only frightens other people who would be wishing to join this community away.

Again, i have enjoyed the discussion in these forums over the past few months and have felt that this site filled a hole in my favorites list and i cant think of anything else to say about this subject...

so in closing...thanks for reading.

P.S. i am NOT just that other guy posting under a different name

-Sabretit

Aaaah, according to Your profile You only registered today. it seems all the more likely then that You're just posting under another name... Also You're using the exact same argumentation in defense of another person who also has zero posts. And if You think this site is bad to newbies go to the Army Ranger forums. Over there You can't even ask a question until Your 100th post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back