RSI Announcement: Live and Post-Live Thread

I wonder if it's going to support the Oculus. Given that the hd8000 and gtx700 series or their successors ought to be out by final release time and the Oculus has a 640x800 resolution per eye as of now it shouldn't draw too many resources. Add in some of the finger detection that's been worked on with the kinect (for those floating menus) and a x-52 or similar joystick and you'd have a sweet time. I don't see this happening but a guy can wish, no?
It's OFFICIALLY supported! Check out the site, under the "Can you fly that thing?" section. "We have backed Oculus Rift and will support it in Star Citizen / Squadron 42. Who doesn't want to sit in their cockpit, hands on your joystick and throttle, swivelling your head, to track that enemy fighter that just blew by?"

If Chris pulls this game off, I may lock myself in a room for 2 weeks and not emerge when the game is released!

Finally got the chance to sit down and watch the whole announcement/panel from Wednesday. I'm going to start a Kickstarter project, the aim of which will be so that I can afford to buy the kind of rig I'm going to need to play this game. With a $1 pledge, I'll send you a dead animal in a box. At $5, a dirty sock. At $10, one of infant's barf rags (barf included). Support me outright with a $3000 pledge and I'll be your best friend for life.

Seriously, listening to CR knock about having to use seven-year old technology stung a bit.

Seriously, listening to CR knock about having to use seven-year old technology stung a bit.
Really? I think it's just because with the current consoles, games look good even after a couple of years, and in our view that things are "good enough for now", we've simply forgotten we've gotten what seven-year-old technology actually means.

And what does it mean, specifically?

Imagine if Chris Roberts, when designing the original Wing Commander from 1990, was forced to limit himself to features that will be supported by the original 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System from 1983. Let me stress this - not the 16-bit Super Nintendo, but the original 8-bit Nintendo.

Imagine if Origin, when designing Wing Commander Prophecy from 1997, was forced to limit himself to 2d graphics, because they were limited by what the Super Nintendo from 1990 and the Sega Genesis from 1989 could handle.

Imagine if Freelancer, coming out in 2001, was designed to support Sony's original PlayStation from 1994. Well, hey, I suppose that wouldn't be too bad - I mean, the PS1 was famous for its 3d capabilities, right...?

So, how about now? Still feeling stung by Chris Roberts not wanting to use seven-year-old technology? :)

You misunderstand me (probably because I didn't explain that statement at all). CR can use the latest and greatest tech to build the game Jim fine and dandy. There hasn't been a game written by Chris Roberts in ten years, ergo I haven't had a reason to keep my system up to date and I can't afford to do so now. That's what stings. Me, as an end user (and given my current financial situation) will be using seven year old technology, were I to start playing this game.

CR doesn't have to; I do.

Hence the Kickstarter I proposed in my last post on this thread.

Not saying this to spite you, but to actually encourage you: depending on what the actual requirements are for the game when it's eventually released, you might be surprised that you could afford something good enough for it when the time comes around. A budget-system of around a few hundred AUD is still far more powerful than a system from 7 years ago and since everything computer-related is so much cheaper in the US, I imagine that figure could be even smaller.

So, just wait to see what's actually needed. It could be that your financial situation may change by the time the game is released as well - nothing is certain in that regard. Those who are wealthy today can just as easily find themselves struggling later on, and vice versa. (Loose fingers, everyone - wealth is fleeting.)

Hopefully any quad-core Windows 7 64-bit system with 4 GB of RAM and a reasonably new video card will be able to run the game, though of course "optimum" performance (i.e. being able to turn the video settings all the way up without slowing the framerate) will probably require more.

My system:
Phenom II Quad-core (3.60 GHz)
8 GB RAM (expandable to at least 24 GB if I can get around to buying three 8-GB DIMMs)
GeForce 610 video card
Windows 7 Home Professional

Back