Rob McKay Kicks Off Script Project (January 14, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Shades has been hard at work on a massive undertaking. He is combining all the script elements that people have put online into huge storybook pdf retellings of the Wing Commander series. Wing Commander II is the first script to be complete. You can grab it here. You do need the Adobe Reader to view the file. If you have a very old version of the program, the file may render very slowly.

pdfscript01t.gif
[/url]
pdfscript02t.gif
[/url]
Like many of you, after playing WC for the first time I’d always wanted to know the rest of the script. There are so many paths and choices that it’s pretty much impossible. Then late in 2000 Tobias Fridell came out with one of the first scripts for the first Wing Commander game.

His only had the wining path but it got me thinking that maybe I could do the same thing and flow chart the alternate paths and scripts. After several months of repeated playing and writing down I gave up. Then two years ago I was talking to LOAF about my desire to flow chart the WC Scripts and he happily sent me the ripped code containing the script.

So what have I been doing over the past two years? Working on eight WC scripts at once. Thanks to Wedge009’s help in editing, donating pictures, and his extensive web site, the first script to be completed is WCII. I hope you all enjoy it. It's been a long time coming. SO1 and SO2 are about 90% done and WCI, SM1, and SM2 are about 80% with Privateer at 50% and Righteous Fire at 30%. If you have any suggestions or corrections I’d love to hear them. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Feel free to email Shades any feedback!

--
Original update published on January 14, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Feed back please?!

I'd like to hear some constructive feed back folks.

What you like. :D
What you don’t like. :mad:
Things you think might make it better. :confused:
Mistakes in the flowchart. :eek:

This is for the WC community so I’d like to make it as good and accurate as possible.

The graphics intensive stuff is pretty fun in the beginning. Less and less images appear as the document progresses. Even though many individual frames would be repetative, even the talking head with subtitles would be nice here and there. Individual ship graphics could be mounted around a bit more where relevant.

Additional relevant pictures…I can do that. I was planning on it actually but I scaled it back thinking it was getting too big. I’m also told that I need to add color to my hyperlinks in the winning and losing paths section because it’s difficult to see them.

Keep the ideas coming! :D

The trouble with having several pictures is that the PDF would have to save a copy of the image everytime it occurs, regardless of whether it is the same file or not. At least, that's what I understand. If I'm wrong, then it shouldn't be a problem. :)

I agree with the lack of pictures thing. I didn't have many pictures in my own scripts because I was trying to minimise on disk space used. Looks like it's time for an update!

I have a few ideas but I’ll need to do quite a few screen captures to do it. I’d hate to keep asking Wedge009 to capture screens for me. He’s been very gracious :D so far but I’d love to do it myself.
Right now I’m using KS. Does anybody have any ideas on what programs would good for that? :confused:
Other wise I’ll have to set up DOSBox (Which I’ve never used :( ) and try to figure how to screen capture OR set up an old DOS machine (which I’ve been putting off for years not.) and use the DOS screen capture Wedge009 gave me.

Shades2585 said:
I have a few ideas but I’ll need to do quite a few screen captures to do it. I’d hate to keep asking Wedge009 to capture screens for me. He’s been very gracious :D so far but I’d love to do it myself.
Right now I’m using KS. Does anybody have any ideas on what programs would good for that? :confused:

Salvation

Thanks Death,
The native XP screen capture didn't work nore the "screengrabber" (I think that's the name.) program it all came back with a black washed out image.
Multigrab looks interisting. I'll down load and try that when I get home.
Thanks I hope this solves the problem.

Shades2585 said:
I’d hate to keep asking Wedge009 to capture screens for me.
It was never a problem, and actually kinda fun. Since I'm taking screenshots for myself, feel free to make requests now (e-mail would be better since I check them regularly).

Actually it did. I pretty much finished all but WcIII, Prophecy, SO, and Privateer 2. Unfortunately last year I consolidated all my stuff on one HD and right after it died!

I'm not sure how much people are interested in it so I've kind of put it on the back burner. WC1 is mostly done though.

WC2 was a fascinating one for me because of all the little things I missed. I'd love to see the completed one for WC1!

Well if you folks are interested I can try to find it, and dust it off, and see what's left to do. As I recall the last third which I have to do requires me to play through each mission numerous time to double check every possible outcome to make sure I've flow-charted it correctly. Very time consuming. As Wedge can probability attest to. And I need to take most of the pic all over again.

I would like to see it posted but I'm not looking forward to spending another five years working on them all. :( (Ok ,so that was on and off but you get the idea.)

I'll work on work on finishing WC1 and see what the reaction is to it and decide whether or not to work on the rest from there. :)

Well if you find or have found anything wrong with WCII please let me know so I can fix it when I get back to it.

I did find WC1 today and did work on it some. ;)

The flow charting of WC1 is now done. Right now it is 138 pages long.
The next stage will be testing it to make sure they are all correct and taking screen shots for the book.

Does anybody know where the picture of the theater came from? (see first picture) I don't remember where I got it. I think it was on this site.

Back