Remastered WC???

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

I defiantly didn't 'make it up'....I might have been using someone else's made up facts, but I defiantly didn't make it up....

Do you have specific references, by chance, to prove that they were 'made up by someone else'? Or any references?

I think that the LACK OF PLOTS is what's killing the space flight sim genre. While I did enjoy freespace 2 I must admit I do miss the wit that was present in wc 3/4, the actors were awesome in both of those games. WCP was a massive let down because they lost it. In wc 3/4 there was a gret camaraderie between all the pilots but WCP never really had anything like that.

Originally posted by Haesslich
Do you have specific references, by chance, to prove that they were 'made up by someone else'? Or any references?

I think Ladiesman is in the clear on this one. I, too, seem to remember hearing something about Baen's decision on Wing Commander being related to the movie.

Originally posted by WildWeasel

I think Ladiesman is in the clear on this one. I, too, seem to remember hearing something about Baen's decision on Wing Commander being related to the movie.

Yeah...thanks for backing me up....

And no, I don't have any references to it....I probably heard it on a forum or something somewhere, and i'm not in the habit of saving conversations I have.....

Originally posted by Happy

Starlancer had a good shoot, it's engine was more like WC, but still was kinda sluggish to the stick. It offered enjoyable combat, though I can not speak much more about it as the game would crash 1/4 or so of the way through it. But what did I expect from Microsoft, a game that worked flawlessly?

Starlancer was interesting, but very, very, frustrating. Toward the end of the game, some of the missions were scripted in such a fashion that, if you didn't follow a very linear path along a tight timetable, then you'd lose your carrier.
And quite often, the unit killing your carrier would be a unit that wouldn't appear unless you didn't follow the 'script'.
And don't even ask me about the final mission. I still haven't finished the stupid thing.
Tachyon had character due to the presence of Bruce Campbell, but the storyline was somewhat weak. It was also a 'scripted' Privateer, which hurt it to a certain extent. I think it would have done a lot better if there had been a generic mission generator available instead of just allowing a list of preset missions.

Super Wing Commander for the Mac and 3DO. Darkmage is just setting you up for his usual rant about how you can play Mac games on the PC using Maculator 218.

And don't even ask me about the final mission. I still haven't finished the stupid thing.

While the final starlancer mission may be difficult and tedious, it can be done! And as for crashing it only did it once on my computer. Don't try too hard to finish it though, the ending movie really sucks. :mad:

I think most of the satbility problems I have are resulting from trying to run it with XP and a GEforce 2 card.
I nee to try it on my 98 box with a voodoo3.

I'm not a big fan of graphics. I liked the graphics to WC1 and WC2. I think they should downgrade 3,4,5 to the original interface. Thats just me though.

I think 4 had a horrible engine, they should have stuck with the 3 engine. not to mention the video codec was also poor, not including the dvd.
even compared to 3, which in my opinion was the best of all the games relative to its release.

Originally posted by Happy
I think 4 had a horrible engine, they should have stuck with the 3 engine. not to mention the video codec was also poor, not including the dvd.
even compared to 3, which in my opinion was the best of all the games relative to its release.

I'd rate the 3/4 engines about equal overall, though in different ways

4 was better in that when you were flying around in space, it was actually BLACK (since space ain't BLUE, as in 3), also, the planetside missions had better graphics

On the other hand, having the OPTION of a dropaway cockpit in 3 beat NOT having a choice, as in 4...

etc., etc.....

well then it was just the textures.
that was another thing i didn't like about 4, as well as the dreaded freespace games, the textures were too busy. too much detail, you could actually count the plates on the haul of the capships.

That is a problem?
Textures with too much detail, and that you can count the plates on the haul of the capships is a problem?

Originally posted by Ghost
That is a problem?
Textures with too much detail, and that you can count the plates on the haul of the capships is a problem?

....It sure is:

Counting plates & textures = Distraction
Distraction = Lowered situational awareness (SA)
Lowered SA = KABLAMMO! (or, as I like to say "BIFFFFF!") :D

And on a related note:

Maybe they's the same engine, but as the guy said, the textures were different.
Blue skies belong on earth. BLACK skies belong in space
Comprendes?... ;)

Hehe...
That is why i preffer the WC4 *Engine*, black skies and better textures.

You can count the plates before landing, so that isn´t a problem or just pause the game ;)

And WC4 has floating Skeletons fully *shootables*

I didn't like the textures in WC4 compared with WC3 either.

And with WC3 having blue space... well, if you wanted black space you could switch gamma correction off, but then everything else would be dark. :(

while 3 had a few color differences, 4 was also too bright and had too much contrast. sure you could fix the in game, but then the movies would be too dark.

Back