Remastered WC???

Knthrak

Spaceman
If this topics has been discussed... by all means close it.

Was just thinking about the good stories used in the WC games, particularly on WC 1 and 2. The only problem is that WC1 and 2 aren't very visualy pleasing for todays graphics. Lets face it... bitmaps just don't work anymore :eek:
Since WC1 and 2 have excellent stories (better than 3 and up), you think remaking the cutscenes to live video and perhaps gameplay graphics to top notch would have a positive effect on the name Wing Commander and Chris Roberts? Mainly my question entails to the live video being used in WC2 which I thought was the far best story and twists in the series.
I know that then the whole series would have to be updated but perhaps make a kind of Special Edition to WC2 which graphics and live video in today's games.
Think redoing like George did with Star Wars but DON'T YOU DARE compare it with WC.

The problem is getting EA to even acknowledge Wing Commander as a franchise anymore. They no longer support any of the games, or seem to have the source anymore. You're talking about something that will probably never see the light of day under current EA staff... :(

Yeah i feel that EAs lack of support is disturbing. The series was a proven money maker and they have just dropped it. Now it seems like well never get a sequel to even the subpar prophecy. I love the idea of a revamped WC1 and WC2 but I feel it will only ever get done in a mod. I dont like live action video though. The acting is just so terrrible

lack of faith? i love the games and wish that they would redo the originals faithfully. Yet at the same time Im thinking realistically because EA doesnt seem to consider WC viable as a franchise anymore

ah. if any one thing is holding back EA from making anything new or revamping anything old it is that blight on film known as the wc movie. The fact that it made no money and was a critical failure must have some effect on EAs position. The almighty dollar propels wing commander forward and can stop it.

Originally posted by Dragonslayer
ah. if any one thing is holding back EA from making anything new or revamping anything old it is that blight on film known as the wc movie. The fact that it made no money and was a critical failure must have some effect on EAs position. The almighty dollar propels wing commander forward and can stop it.

The movie was the number one reason that Baen stopped making the books....

Although, we shouldn't give up hope at this point....things are looking brighter....we're getting a port of WCP to GBA and a TV series! If either of these does even remotely good, that could be a catalyst for EA to start up again.

The movie was the number one reason that Baen stopped making the books....

No, it isn't. We asked the guy who packaged the novels for Baen at DragonCon whether there would be any more -- he said no because the books only sell well when there's a game released around the same time. No WC games = no WC books.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

No, it isn't. We asked the guy who packaged the novels for Baen at DragonCon whether there would be any more -- he said no because the books only sell well when there's a game released around the same time. No WC games = no WC books.

Last time I heard anything about it, it was that the movie turned them off. But meh, i'm often wrong...so...look over there! *runs away*

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Last time I heard anything about it, it was that the movie turned them off. But meh, i'm often wrong...so...look over there! *runs away*

If by 'heard anything' you mean 'made up some facts', then yes.

If they were to revamp wc, they should revamp 1,2, privateer, and academy. though wc1 has already been revamped they should at LEAST port Super Wing Commander to windows..... instead of FMV they could use high quality 3d renders for the cutscenes.

If by 'heard anything' you mean 'made up some facts', then yes.

I defiantly didn't 'make it up'....I might have been using someone else's made up facts, but I defiantly didn't make it up....

Originally posted by Dragonslayer

That's just wrong though... They were working on games during the time the movie was a 'critical failure'. It seemed to have little impact. The movie, even if not well accepted, was pretty much free publicity for the game series, from EA's point of view. The games in production weren't stopped for a rather long time after that...

Wow, yeah, I didn't even notice that crazy claim.

Privateer Online was cancelled *before* the movie came out. The Privateer Online team was brought back to work on it again *after* the movie came out. The movie seems to have had nothing to do with WC being 'dropped' -- there just isn't interest in space sims right now, as the abysmal sales of Freespace 2/StarLancer/Tachyon/etc. proved to the industry.

While a revamped WC2 would be nifty, I really think a game based on the first 20 years of the K-war would rock.
(I've always wanted to fly the battle at McAuliffe :)

... there just isn't interest in space sims right now, as the abysmal sales of Freespace 2/StarLancer/Tachyon/etc. proved to the industry.

I think the last few major space sims had some serious handycaps though, freespace had a game engine that looked good, but handled rather horrible. It was not very smooth, and the weapons were boring and unsatisfying, not to mention the plot. though I think even LOAF will agree Freespace and WC both had a substanchel blemish, too much time was spent on the cut scences, mainly the opening.
Starlancer had a good shoot, it's engine was more like WC, but still was kinda sluggish to the stick. It offered enjoyable combat, though I can not speak much more about it as the game would crash 1/4 or so of the way through it. But what did I expect from Microsoft, a game that worked flawlessly?
And though I never played it, I am sure Tachyon suffored from the same problems.
I think the biggest problem is not space sims, but flight sims.
people with new computers always get a flight sim as one of their first games, and i don't know if any of you have played one lately, but flight sims today require training to play the game before one can even play. Then people just stay away from space sims as they assume they have the same problems, oddly enough many on them do, but thankfully in WCP, are optional.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

I defiantly didn't 'make it up'....I might have been using someone else's made up facts, but I defiantly didn't make it up....

Do you have specific references, by chance, to prove that they were 'made up by someone else'? Or any references?

Back