Rapiers in the Movie

I've heard a rumor that the pilot in the Broadsword at the end of the movie (the one that tractors Blair back to the Concordia after the Snakier was destroyed) was Chris Roberts himself; does anybody else know anything about this?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Why would you assume that? They're different fighters...

Yes, but were they not originaly intended to be basicaly the same fighter, even if it was later changed? Why else would they give it neutron gun, lasers, and name it the Rapier?

BTW, if the WC1 Rapier is the MK. II, would that make the WCII one the MK. III?

Wait, didn't the broadsword the Paladin flew in the movie fire off a spread of 4 torps? And wouldn't it be kinda stupid to have a couple megatons of antimatter right on the side of the bomber where everyone can take a potshot? One square hit and kiss the squadron goodbye...

Yeah, sorry about the double-post, I forgot to hit "refresh" on by browser.
In reference to the Torps on the outside, I think the WC ships were built more for looks than for function (except for the Capships...BO-ring)

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Why would you assume that? They're different fighters...

Yes, but were they not originaly intended to be basicaly the same fighter, even if it was later changed? Why else would they give it neutron gun, lasers, and name it the Rapier?
That makes no sense. You're assuming far too much. First, you assume that the movie Rapier was intended to be the same Rapier as the game fighter, which is baseless. Second, you assume that the original intent of the design has any bearing at all on the final statistics of the ship.

If I were to design the next Corvette, and originally planned for it to retain it's current engine, but instead wound up putting some V-10 in the thing, it would be a different car with different performance specs. Nobody would assume that it's basically the same since I was gonna make it a V-8 originally anyway, because that's just illogical.

True, true. Still, I guess the fact that the WC Movie is kinda in a world of its own had some effect on my judgement.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
True, true. Still, I guess the fact that the WC Movie is kinda in a world of its own had some effect on my judgement.
You mean your erroneous assumption that the WC movie is in a world of its own had an affect.

The Rapier in WC1 and the Rapier in WC2 are different variants of the same fighter... thus, they're the F-44A Rapier II (WC1) and the F-44G Rapier II (WC2) (or, the F-44C Rapier II in End Run...)

Two more torpedoes were added to the Broadsword's armament in '48, according to the blurb. And no, there's no problem having weapons on the outside of the ship (aside from the fact that they can be shot off easily) -- a missile won't explode unless you've armed it.

THe pilot at the end *is* Chris Roberts -- and, ironically, he's the same character Peter Telep decided to name Chris McCubbin in another cameo. :)

Ah, once again LOAF explains all. :)
I don't own the WC Confederation Handbook; does it give specs for any other fighters besides the Rapier and Broadsword (Scimitar, Hornet...?)?

At the time I saw it, I thought that WC:Movie was just an adaptation of the game because I had never played it before. SO that is why I assumed that the Rapiers were one and the same.

Originally posted by Napoleon
I really do dislike it when movies do that, have something in a script but then don't use it

The thing that I dislike is when good scenes that are already filmed are cut because they are a minute longer than they should be. Some DVDs have those "On the cutting room floor" features where they show the cut scenes. I watch those, and most would have made the movie better.

Back