Rapiers in the Movie

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
And no, there's no problem having weapons on the outside of the ship (aside from the fact that they can be shot off easily) -- a missile won't explode unless you've armed it.

Yes there is if its made of antimatter. Antimatter is unstable no matter what. Maybe its safe to hit a nuke without fear of explosion as it requires the Plutonium to go to critical mass. Antimatter, due to its nature, WILL go off!

Who ever said that torpedoes contained antimatter? They could be really small nuclear warheads, or just a butt-load of conventional explosives; the torps in the movie were over half the length of the 32-meter-long Broadsword.

Well, you hear very often "anti-matter torpedoes" in the later WC products, especially in the novels. Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean that the movie torpedoes are the same.

Ya know, I remember reading somewhere that WC torps were protons, like in Star Wars.

While we're on the topic of weaps, is it true that torpedoes and AM guns pass through shields? I remember the WCII manuel said something about that, but I haven't been able to get ahold of anything more current. A while ago (in the WC Science thread) I asked if shields from WCII and III were different somehow, and LOAF said no, weapon advances just made them more vulnerable.

As I understand it, AMGs are just powerful enough to actually batter down the shields, rather than bypassing them as torps do.

TC

AMG's could bypass shields in the wc2 era, it says so in the manual. But in wc3 they couldn't. This is because of the advance in defense technology. Defense technology had advanced since wc2, just not enough to stop the updated fighter weapons from damaging shields. However, it had advanced enough so that shields could absorb amg's.

[Edited by Terrorizer on 07-07-2001 at 01:48]

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Ya know, I remember reading somewhere that WC torps were protons.
If I recall correctly, the torpedoes used in Privateer were proton torpedoes. These, of course, were far inferior to the military-grade anti-matter torps from the main series.

You do recall correctly Quarto...

The whole lot of Proton Torpedoes I had loaded on my Centurion, was not sufficient to gun down the Kilrathi Kamekh in the last missions... I had to use the Steltek gun and patience... :(

AMGs bypass shields.

The torpedoes in Privateer are just shiney dumb-fires, they're not in any way related to the torpedoes in the other games.

just give him a load of tachyon fire. i allways loaded my centurian with 2 torp launchers. much cheaper than missiles

Same here. :) Just point it in the general direction of the enemy and wave it around; plus, you can't accidentally shoot down Proton Torps, so you can fire freely, too. :)

I take it you can't post pics in your sig? :( Naw well...you can always use my ASCII Sabre...which I'll post as soon as I make it. :D

Naw well...you can always use my ASCII Sabre...which I'll post as soon as I make it. :D

thats nothing against my Doomseeker mk2 fighter. cant argue with 11 heavy cannons and 70 light missiles :)

I take it you can't post pics in your sig? :(
Something I'm always grateful for. The horrific scenes I've witnessed on some board where 300k images are in every .sig are just... nightmare-inducing.

|
/ \
|A|
<V>
( )
__\ /__
/ \
----/| |\----
/ / |_________| \ \
---- __|/ \|__ ----
|____/ \____|

Just like I promised, here's my crappy Sabre! <G> Do what you will with it. ;)

[Edited by Bob McDob on 07-08-2001 at 04:11]

Back