Rapiers in the Movie

Essex

Spaceman
Am I mistaken, or did the Rapiers in the Wing Commander Movie have mass drivers? I know in the game that they have 2 laser cannons and 2 neutron guns, but in the movie, they had that gattling gun on the front and then ImRecs, I think. No Neutrons or Lasers.

I think it was officially called a "Electromagnetic Pulse" (EMP) gun in the WC Movie Technical Manual, and it had multiple rotating barrels to facilitate cooling; but you're right, I thought it was a "Gatling" Mass Driver, too.

Plus the movie Rapiers were completely different fighters than the one in WC1. In fact in the novel Pilgrim Stars, the movie Rapier was retired and replaced by the Rapier that arrives on the Claw in the game.

I assume the Rapier gatling neutron is roughly equal to the two standards carried on the Mk. II...

A common misconception on the Rapier / Mass Driver thing. I can't count how many movie reviwers (incorrectly) pointed out that the Rapiers fired "bullets" in space.

Not so much look, as sound like bullets. Then again, the moment I saw the movie, I could tell they weren't bullets since they had a high pitched whine to them and a slight reverb not found on guns (that I can remember hearing)

Originally posted by Bhaktadil
The Rapiers were armed with two lasers as well.

I never noticed 2 lasers on the Rapiers, and I've stopped, rewound, and paused the hell outta my movie trying to figure out what all the ships look like.

I'm not trying to defend the anti-WC critics and viewers of the movie, but they probably don't know what the heck a 'Neutron Gun' is, so you've gotta give 'em some slack...(well, if they hate WC, I guess ya don't!)

The only time the lasers are mentioned are in the Confederation Handbook and the lasers are mounted in the wings.

What about the Broadswords, though? On their rear (main) wings, I saw what looked like cannons on the bottom of the outer vertical stabilizers.
Speaking of Broadswords, what function would they have served back then (for example, WCATV), before Phase Shields? Missile Boat, perhaps?

They were torpedo bombers... capships sitll had strong shields (and before WC1, capships had shields that required torpedos, too...)

Guns: Mass Drivers (3)
Turret: Neutron Guns (2) [3], Tractor Beam (1) [3]
Torpedo Hardpoints: 4x1
Missile Hardpoints: 4x1 FF
Missile Decoys: Chaff Pod (1)

Back