Quit Jerking Up the Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna ask Q to re-package a version of UE with "Standoff:" added to the game's name somewhere.

Then I'm gonna do the same with the Prophecy Demo.

ChrisReid said:
Yeah, the award would only go to Gemini Gold, but if you think they're so intertwined, then you wouldn't have a problem voting just for GG to begin with.
In my opinion, it's good that only Gemini Gold was nominated. Not only is it the pinnacle of Wing Commander with the VS engine, but having 3+ projects on the ballot that are so closely related could have a mutli-Nader effect on the voting.

Oh, yeah, absolutely -- it really is great news that no one liked your project enough to nominate it.

Why are you complaining now? The nomination period was some time ago...if its not listed here then its probably because no one submitted it. You're crying over spilt milk here, fellas.

Well, Dad once said to me ,"Pick your own battles." On that note, time for more Standoff...

Just once I'd like to ban someone and have them go "Oh, boy, I really was being a jerk, I'm sorry", and then I'd go "Well, I overreacted too, but try to be better next time", and then we'd hug, the studio audience would coo and I'd let them cut the holiday ham.

But no, it's always over the deep end for the former users, off to rage against the machine in incredibly generic ways about how unfair life is that anyone would dare ban them for having called me an ass.

Yeah, actually, I kinda wish you hadn't made Pioneer an option. We've not delivered anything besides artwork this year, so we really shouldn't be in the running yet. All the other choices have done far more than we have. Let us get a demo out and see what everyone thinks before we go up for this award.
I'd rather not steal the thunder from the projects that deserve it.
I'm sure Brad will agree with me on this.

Once again, we did not select the options. The nominations were made by the public, as requested during the several week nomination period. All we've done is attach a polite description to each project nominated by a visitor to the CIC. We have nothing to do with projects being included or not included.

Pioneer was one of the most-nominated projects actually. There's certainly nothing wrong with not winning, and it's not like being nominated this year is going to disqualify you from future nominations. Look at the criteria we suggested people consider. Nominations for Pioneer are simply fans saying they're excited about where they think the project is headed. Standoff wasn't even a first or second runner-up the first year it was a nominee in this category, and now they're in the lead.

Oh, no - I know we weren't gonna win. I honestly don't want to...way too much pressure. :D I was trying to be polite by removing our no-show project from the running. After all, we've done precisely...squat. There were at least 3 other projects that should go before us. Hell, I voted for Standoff. I realize that you didn't choose the participants, but I thought you might be willing to remove us. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Well, now that things are under way, we don't really want to change stuff around. Even if you think you haven't shown much off, other fans let us know they were inspired by your preliminary efforts and I think this is a good way to recognize you for that. I actually didn't recognize most of the nominators' email addresses, so I'd guess that many of them are lurkers who may not end up voting, though going to Crius polling has certainly produced a greater overall turnout.

The entire point behind this complicated two-tiered process is to make the award worth something by de-involving the CIC Staff. If we let ourselves sift through the nominations and pick out the ones we decide really shouldn't be in the running in a particular year, it lessens the process for everyone.

There's a great honor in just being nominated. I can make a graphic and tell Standoff it's great right now... but it's not going to be worth the same thing as someone nominating it and people voting in order for it to recieve the award. Similarly, someone has looked at your work and been impressed -- and it's up to that person to put you in the running, not you or I. If we can countermand one person's nomination, the process breaks down.

Take it as an extreme compliment that with reletively little information yet made available someone was so impressed with your work that they thought it superior to Standoff or Saga or Privateer Gold. Don't feel bad if you don't win... feel great that you're in the running, and that the reason you're there in the first place is because an actual human put you there -- not because you were included by default.

Really, the only thing to worry about is *not* being in the running.

Bandit LOAF said:
Oh, yeah, absolutely -- it really is great news that no one liked your project enough to nominate it.
I don't think any of them are really my projects. Any involvement I had was minor and pertained equally to all of them.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I was trying to be positive and uplifting.

Howard Day said:
Oh, no - I know we weren't gonna win. I honestly don't want to...way too much pressure. :D I was trying to be polite by removing our no-show project from the running. After all, we've done precisely...squat.
I think the whole greatness of this yearly voting is precisely that it's a pretty faithful gauge of the fans reactions (since both the nominations and the voting are entirely up to the fans, and since you can nominate pretty much anything). So when it's over you'll look at Pioneer's votes and see how many people are already considering Pioneer their favorite project (just from seeing your "squat") over projects that have already been released, etc. Lets you know wheter you're doing good at whatever it is that has already been done, at the very least.

Also, I like the new voting system over the old vote-by-email system. Voting is so much easier this year, even I have done it! :p

Bandit LOAF said:
Just once I'd like to ban someone and have them go "Oh, boy, I really was being a jerk, I'm sorry", and then I'd go "Well, I overreacted too, but try to be better next time", and then we'd hug, the studio audience would coo and I'd let them cut the holiday ham.

But no, it's always over the deep end for the former users, off to rage against the machine in incredibly generic ways about how unfair life is that anyone would dare ban them for having called me an ass.

Hey, I got banned three times and I don't hate you. I even asked nicely to return after these three times. <audience cheers> Can I cut the Ham now? :)

Bandit LOAF said:
Don't feel bad if you don't win... feel great that you're in the running, and that the reason you're there in the first place is because an actual human put you there -- not because you were included by default.

When you're nominated, you're thrown into a small group of your talented peers just to see whos the "best" of the lot. That doesn't nessessarily mean that one is better overall - how many times have we all seen only okay movies win Oscars? - but just that one got more votes. The nomination is the prize, as it were.

Bandit LOAF said:
Really, the only thing to worry about is *not* being in the running.

Perhaps a "Biggest Jerk Award" should be given out instead?

Hmm, biggest Jerk award? Now that would be quite interesting. You could have another nomination period and a voting period. Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to see how that turned out.

hmm. gotta say this is pretty retarded.

just because the back-end of GG is being developed by the same folks as VS/PR/WCU, doesn't mean it's the same fan project. (They also help develop babylon 5, and star trek fan projects. people != project).

john has done a lot of work on his own to value-add to the PR-root he forked from.

the nomination is really a shout out to his personal quality control and attention to detail, which has really been above and beyond that given to the other VS-PR based projects.

about ripping off wc... _every_ fan project is a rip off. it's intrinsic to the concept of a 'fan-work'. it's not original.

a more to-the-point criticism is that PR/WCU 'muddy the wing commander water'.

mixing items from different time periods :
auto tracking guns

mis advertising :
not really a remake if you can do *new* things. should have been called privateer-reloaded (or some other stupid name that doesn't claim to be a carbon copy).

but all in all, if you stand back, PR and GG mostly overlap (in the very large, general view of things). while the details of the differences may irk some people, i don't think these <in all fairness> minor differences should cause so much angst.

realistically, if origin could remake privateer today, it would be different. we all know they would make gameplay changes. why all the fuss when some fan project makes changes.

-scheherazade

I completely agree. Everything following your "pretty retarded" statement in that post is indeed pretty retarded.

If you want to moan about how you got passed over, blame the community at large and yourselves. The CIC staff have no sway over what each individual has to say. So stop trying to piss and moan about how all fan projects are not unique.

scheherazade said:
realistically, if origin could remake privateer today, it would be different. we all know they would make gameplay changes. why all the fuss when some fan project makes changes.

Because the "fans" dont know how to make a game work... Strangely, i kinda liked the last version of the remake... but WCU is just horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back