Questions about ships

huh so like some kind of point defense mass driver flechette or something of the sort...that would have been cool...

There was a whole variety of special weapons dropped from Prophecy - the nose-mount anti missile turrets were just one of them.

* The 'tube' under the Shrike was originally a radar jamming device. You'd turn it on to prevent missile locks (or turret fire?) during a torpedo run.

* The 'front part' of the Shrike was designed to eject and be used as a tiny escape fighter... with a single laser for defense. You can still see where it was supposed to separate.

* One of the weapons cut from the game was the 'Null G Bomlet' - a 'traditional' WW2 style bomb that could be dropped on enemy capital ships.

From the reading of your post about the Nep transport it would seem to imply that the Pelican we see in WCSO and WCP? (Never played WCP so if it's not there I apologize) is a larger transport not neccesarily making up a majority of the fleet.

Any ideas or comments on that, Loaf? Maybe it's some kind of 'tender and not a pure transport? Or a civilian model, not part of "Confed"?

I always assumed seeing it fly around it that it was -the- transport for the Confederation and that it was everywhere but that line from the WCP guide seems to imply that this isn't the case

That's fascinating Bandit.
Do you have a Design concept of the confed and/or nephilim (alienships.doc?) ships?

Bandit LOAF said:
There was a whole variety of special weapons dropped from Prophecy - the nose-mount anti missile turrets were just one of them.

* The 'tube' under the Shrike was originally a radar jamming device. You'd turn it on to prevent missile locks (or turret fire?) during a torpedo run.

* The 'front part' of the Shrike was designed to eject and be used as a tiny escape fighter... with a single laser for defense. You can still see where it was supposed to separate.

* One of the weapons cut from the game was the 'Null G Bomlet' - a 'traditional' WW2 style bomb that could be dropped on enemy capital ships.

Those specials would hav made the Shrike much more interesting. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit LOAF

Are there design concepts that you can show me, Bandit LOAF?

Bandit LOAF said:
WCSO has a bit of capship combat, IIRC.

Yes, mostly on cutscenes. The engine requirement that damage is inflicted on specific areas that the AI controling the capship guns can't seem to target makes it much less of a simulated combat than on the other games.

I think we only got to see capship vs capship on the mission where Hobbes defect, 2 Fralthis firing their anti-fighter flak on each other. WC3 and WC3 also have it, but it's not as elaborated as on WC2, with the cool big guns.

Bandit LOAF said:
One of the weapons cut from the game was the 'Null G Bomlet'

TIE Fighter had those "space bombs". Curious type of weapon design for use on space. Considering how good anti-torpedo torp turrets are on WCP, they wouldn't be very effective, at least not with the wingman. TIE Fighter also had a single-laser ship, the Missile Boat, but it was very different.

Yeah, now the only way to have good WCP cap-cap action is to program in a lot of destroy selfs into capship functions. :p

Hey, Loaf. Could you post the capship fighter compliments that you have for some of the other ships in other WCs (1-4), as well as the plunkett's fighter compliment?

Hey guys, sorry for forgetting about this thread.

Any ideas or comments on that, Loaf? Maybe it's some kind of 'tender and not a pure transport? Or a civilian model, not part of "Confed"?

I think you're right in that it's a 'large' transport (similar to the heavy transports that became CVEs). They're also apparently available to the public (there are civilian Pelicans in WCSO and lend-leased Kilrathi Pelicans in the sim).

Do you have a Design concept of the confed and/or nephilim (alienships.doc?) ships?

Here's the alien one:

https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/shipsalien.doc

The only human one I have is from very early in development, and is full of inaccurate stats.

Hey, Loaf. Could you post the capship fighter compliments that you have for some of the other ships in other WCs (1-4), as well as the plunkett's fighter compliment?

I can try!

WC1-
Exeter: 18
Bengal: 104
Fralthi: 20 (50, dedicated light carrier)
Sivar: 20 (150, dedicated carrier)
Snakeir: 200

WC2-
Free Trader: 2 (Bonnie Heather only)
Waterloo: 40
Confederation: 120
Star Base: 400
Ralatha: 23
Fralthra: 40
K. Depot: 55
K'Tithrak Mang: 110
Dorkathi: 40 (fighter transport)

WC3-
C, Destroyer: 5
Ranger: 40
Bhantkara: 96

WC4-
Concordia: 96
Vesuvius: 400

WCP-
Plunkett: 15

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm...hey loaf, do you have other such design documents and bits of them used by the Origin teams on producing the wc games? Something that gives us an idea of how they did it from idea to production?

And what about those Privateer Online things you said you would scan, hum? :)

We've got over 3,000 pages of scanned documents ready - just waiting for the bandwith to put them all online.

it could carry fighters, but it's not a carrier. as i've read it in the swc book it can be configured as a light carrier

Bandit LOAF said:
We've got over 3,000 pages of scanned documents ready - just waiting for the bandwith to put them all online.

I can't wait to see all the stuff you have waiting for us...sounds fascinating....

Bandit LOAF said:
Here's the alien one:
https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/shipsalien.doc
The only human one I have is from very early in development, and is full of inaccurate stats.
Thanks for the link. That's interesting material. :cool:
Seems to me that Origin changed many concepts. The Barracuda was more dangerous than in the game. The flak cannons were replaced by more maser and missile turrets. But why they changed the mass of the cluster fighters?

Bandit LOAF said:
... 3,000 pages of scanned documents ...

:eek:

Bandit LOAF said:
Sivar: 20 (150, dedicated carrier)
Snakeir: 200
Aren't 200 fighters a bit to much for such a small fleet carrier (snakeir)?
Is the 150 fighter sivar a ship of the movie or a version which we never saw?
Bandit LOAF said:
Dorkathi: 40 (fighter transport)
Like the transports the claw fought during Custer's Carnival (from WC3 manual IIRC)
Bandit LOAF said:
WC3-
C, Destroyer: 5
The Sheffield-typ or the Ajax-typ destroyer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ajax is a tallahassee class cruiser the conventry and Sheffield are the destroyers...you can see a little flight deck on the back of the Ajax I'm not sure where the deck is on the destroyers...

Dundradal said:
Ajax is a tallahassee class cruiser the conventry and Sheffield are the destroyers...you can see a little flight deck on the back of the Ajax I'm not sure where the deck is on the destroyers...
:confused: ... :eek: ... :D
I should express myself better. In the WC3 novel the TCS Ajax was part of Destroyer Squadron 67. In the CIC Encyclopedia is the Ajax a different destroyer class then the Sheffield-typ.

Yes, but it's still a cruiser....and I think they might have just messed up in the novel and not realized it was a cruiser...

Back