Questions about ships

Duke

Spaceman
I didn't believe that there are so many WC fans :eek:

A lot of questions for my first thread.
Are there any more information about the Murphey class destroyer (how many torpedo tubes, what kind of weapon is the opening in the nose,...), the Sheffield type destroyer or the Achilles-type cruiser from the WC4 novel ?
What is the true size of the C-9 Pelican (i read 390m and 490m) ?
Are there more information, particularly over the armament (that one we don't see in-game) and size over Nephilim cap ships (maybe Bandit) ?
Is the Omega dreadnought from Fleet Action the Behemoth foreseen the cloak (perhaps the hadn't the time to insert it) because the had a similar development time, a powerfull main weapon,... ?

Impressing work all mods (particularly WCS and Fleet Tactics please me) :cool:
thx for any infromation.

Any response is to the best of my knowledge. I will not gurantee a thing said here is true.
Duke said:
the Sheffield type destroyer or the Achilles-type cruiser from the WC4 novel ?
Fleet Tactics should have some of what you're looking for, but be warned, the background info is biased towards Confed. Read as 'Propaganda' and this is entirely deliberate by the writer. The Achilles cruiser is, IIRC, now considered the Tallahassee-class heavy cruiser. Bandit LOAF or Psych should be able to explain the reasoning behind it.

Duke said:
Is the Omega dreadnought from Fleet Action the Behemoth foreseen the cloak (perhaps the hadn't the time to insert it) because the had a similar development time, a powerfull main weapon,... ?
No. The Behemeoth is a seperate project. The Omega Project is a heavy combat vessel of some kind, but it is a class of ship. There's very little about this class that I'm aware of, but again, the others may know more. The Behemoth is a one-of-a-kind vessel meant for one thing: to destroy planets and force an end to the war, an equivalent to the Death Star in some ways.

Thanks for answer. The thought about the similarities of Omega and Behemoth was only, since when i read the wc3 novel reminds me of the 10 year development time and the "secret weapon" from Omega. Perhaps to the remaining questions bandit or Psych knows the answer.

The Omega is a kilometer-long vessel that carries two squadrons of fighters, twin heavy lasers, and numerous particle/plasma weapons, and is unshielded but very heavily armored.

Seriously, nobody has any solid knowledge on the Omegas. Ive asked a few times myself. However, there is still hope that Saga has it up their sleeves somewhere.

To tell you the truth, I hadn't put much thought on the Omega dreadnought. Maybe later on, but for now, there's simply no time or manpower or resources.

Sorry to dissapoint.

That was just ment as simple question and not as demand for creating a new ship ;)
The existing ones are quiet impressiv.

I don't know enough about the other ships. The ship database at the CIC might be able to give you some information.

Thank you, but I need things that are not at the CIC ships page.
How long are the nephilim ships, their main weapons (I can't believe they have only maser turrets), main weapons of the Murphey class (big tube in the nose).
Bandit LOAF mentioned two different values for the length of the Pelican. Which one is correct :confused:
LOAF, can you help me with my "knowledge gaps" ?

Howdy!

Sorry for not getting to this thread earlier - been trying to catch up on everything. Welcome to the Chat Zone, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Bandit LOAF mentioned two different values for the length of the Pelican. Which one is correct

390 meters is the correct length, 490 is wrong.

How long are the nephilim ships, their main weapons (I can't believe they have only maser turrets),

Here's the Nephilim lengths:

VF-2 Squid class Interceptor - 21/17 meters
CF-3fd Remora class Interceptor - 21 meters
SK-3a Lamprey class Shield Killer - 21 meters
CF-1a Stingray class Interceptor/Cap Ship Interdiction - 24 meters
CF-2b Skate class Interceptor/Anti-Bomber - 24 meters
CF-2t Skate class Interceptor/Torpedo Launcher - 24 meters
CF-2m Skate class Interceptor/Miner - 24 meters
FA-6a Moray class Fighter - 24 meters
SF-8a Manta class Heavy Fighter - 26 meters
SF-9a Devil Ray class Space Superiority Fighter - 26 meters
CF-3fd Ray Node Cluster class Interceptor Cluster - 34 meters
FF-4a class Barracuda - 130 meters
T-1 Triton class Transport - 230 meters
DD-4 Orca class Destroyer - 600 meters
CA-2 Hydra/Marlin class Cruiser - 750 meters
CV-5 Leviathan class Carrier - 960 meters
SSK-1 Kraken class Cap Ship Killer - 1,200 meters
DN-6 Tiamat class Dreadnought - 3,200 meters

As for the weapons, there's nothing else simulated in the game - aside from the ship killer plasma weapons on the Kraken and the Tiamat. The original plan was that the various 'tendrils' on the Nephilim ships would be large calibur anti-capship plasma weapons... (three on the Hydra, two on the Orca and seven on the Tiamat, IIRC).

The Orca has a CSM launcher.

main weapons of the Murphey class (big tube in the nose).

I believe the answer when SO came out was that it was the fighter launch tube. I think I have a document with the exact specifications at home.

Okay, just checked the Murphy specs... the center weapon is "1 x Centerline Hull Mount Mk. 4 Heavy Plasma Cannon"

No, it isn't modelled in the game.

WCSO has a bit of capship combat, IIRC. There are no Murphys in WCP.

Not to start another topic, but I have a couple questions about some WC1 ships too.

1. Is the Exeter able to field fighters? I've seen conflicting sources that say it can carry them and it can't, I'm not sure.

2. Does the Krant have one or two pilots? It seems like there is two cockpits on a Krant.

Thanks.

The Exeter can carry fighters - the Johann in SM1 had 5 Rapiers with it, and when Bossman tells the tale of the Gwenhyvar, he mentions that it was captured with it's fighter compliment.

And the Krant does seem to have two cockpits - the VDU targeting data has two blue circles in the cockpit position.

I see, thanks about that. The Ship database said it was capable of holding a "light" compliment of fighters, but then Claw Marks and about all the other sources I checked said nothing about it's ability to hold fighters.

So it'd be around to hold 6 to 8 fighters or so? I'm writing a fiction set in the WC1 era, following a Exeter with several Scimitar and Hornet pilots on board. Originally it was going to be around 12 fighters on board but I'm thinking that might be a bit much, what what the maxium capacity for a Exeter to carry? Thanks again. :)

(PS: Oh, and on the mission in SM1 with the captured Exeter, isn't it odd that they manage to have four Rapiers on board? I don't remember, I think it was supposed to have been captured before Rapiers were around to use... :confused: )

1. Is the Exeter able to field fighters? I've seen conflicting sources that say it can carry them and it can't, I'm not sure.

Yes, it can. Blair actually mentions in WC1 that he flew off of the TCS Formidable, an Exeter encountered during the course of that game. According to Peter Telep's movie novel the Exeter-class carries 18 fighters.

2. Does the Krant have one or two pilots? It seems like there is two cockpits on a Krant.

It sounds like it's one pilot - the Confederation Handbook mentions that its life support system is "capable of supporting a Kilrathi life for 15 hours" (or somesuch). (The WC1 'scan' does show two blue areas... though it's not entirely clear what that means.) Note that the modernized version has only one visible 'cockpit area'.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ Erik said:
(PS: Oh, and on the mission in SM1 with the captured Exeter, isn't it odd that they manage to have four Rapiers on board? I don't remember, I think it was supposed to have been captured before Rapiers were around to use... :confused: )
Oddly enough, I spotted a thread about that earlier when I was looking for some more info for you on the size of the Exeter's compliment. You can find that thread here

Back