Prophecy on GBA

Hey, at least there's some WC software coming out (Even if it is a remake) - though Prophecy was my least liked. Please don't tell me that they are going to include the fmv

We need a jaw drop emote.
Surprised me, that's for sure.
A TV show I could see, but this, simply put, stuns me. We already know that one space combat sim is being developed for the GBA. I wonder if there's a connection?
And, as long as I'm asking questions, who is Destination Software, and why is Raylight signing with them in order to make an EA license?

Originally posted by panther
Hey, at least there's some WC software coming out (Even if it is a remake) - though Prophecy was my least liked. Please don't tell me that they are going to include the fmv

Definately better than nothing!

That is very good news. Those anyone knows anything about that company in charge of the GBA version?

Maybe it could be a sign that EA/OSI is looking at ways to get back into WC. Humble it may be, but it is a HUGE step IMO.

The company developing WCP GBA is the same company that is developing Star Giants. We're already trying to contact them, but we might be waiting a while for a reply. They're probably still at E3.

I would assume Star Giants becomes WCP, after they've swapped ships and various artwork.

no raylight are developing star giants, they are only publishing/producing WCP, destination studios is apparently developing WCP and will be using raylights impressive new GBA 3d engine blueroses.

I've seen the tech demos for this engine and while it definatly wont look quite as good as prophecy does on the PC it'll still look pretty fine. i wonder if they use the game engine instead of the FMV, concidering storage space and that.

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
Assuming Star Giants is also based on that engine which they announced a few months afterwards.

Star giants is a testiment to the GBA's 2D hardware-- calculations for ship and projectile positions are done in 3D, but all representation of craft and projectiles and backgrounds is done in 2D. Built-in hardware specifically for sprite scaling and rotation make this the greatest console of all time for just such an engine. However, Blue Roses is something entirely different, equally impressive: An engine that allows for fully texture-mapped polygons on the GBA(made with only 2D games in mind) with no additional hardware. The difference between the engines is as vast as the difference between wing commander 2 and 3. Personally, I'd love to see a port of super wing commander using the star giant's engine... but that's just me. This, however, is pretty darn neat too. It would be extremely sad/stupid for the star giants engine to be used instead of the blue roses engine in porting a 3D space-sim.

After taking a quick look at the homepage for Destination Games, it looks like this isn't the first time they've imported a game from one system to GBA. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Medal of Honor Underground were both listed there. IIRC, MoHU is another EA title, but BG: DA is from Interplay.
My guess is that they thought there might be some interest in a space combat sim, and decided to go with a proven winner. Hopefully it all works out well.

btw, the new rank insignia look good.

Originally posted by Conrad
...while it definatly wont look quite as good as prophecy does on the PC it'll still look pretty fine.

Especially on that exceptionally small screen... texture resolutions could be tiny and still be extremely effective since the screen res/size of the GBA is so very high/small:)

Back