Prophecy Game Strategy

exetazo

Spaceman
I just started playing Prophecy having come back to the WC series after 9 years.

I'm spending most of my time in the Simulator but i cant' work out how to get near Capital ships.

For example, in the Shrike, i can handle the fighters but get zapped by the heavier ships.

The heavy missiles & Torpedoes take time to lock on, so how do I get close & avoid the defences.

I remember WC1 had lots of flight strategies but the Prophecy package has nothing.

Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

Originally posted by exetazo
I remember WC1 had lots of flight strategies but the Prophecy package has nothing.
You referring to Claw Marks' "Taggart's Tactics"? Never paid attention to that. :)

I don't see how capship turrets are causing you that much grief, but if you've topedoed capships in WC2, it's pretty much the same idea in WCP/SO.

The heavy missiles & torpedoes take time to lock on, so how do I get close & avoid the defences.
Easy, you don't. ;) At least not until your torpedo has locked (or is close to locking). Torpedo locks give much more leeway than the torps in WC2, so you have some manoeuvring room when making your run. If needs be, you may want to remove some turrets before making your run (although torpedoing the engine is quite easy as it's usually a relatively undefended area).

I just started playing Prophecy having come back to the WC series after 9 years.

You haven't played in 9yrs :eek:

Anyways for all Nephilim capships, except the Triton, approach from behind. There are no turrets protecting their engines so killing those is a literal walk in the park. Then crawl along the surface and smash the bridge. The heavy plasma and charging mass drivers mounted on the Devastators and Shrikes will make quick work of any pesky turrets. With the Triton its probably a good idea to get rid of the turret protecting its engine first. Torpedo use is not necessary if you're flying the Devastator.

The kat corvette's a tougher nut to crack. If you've got autoslide - use it. Otherwise you can orbit the corvette in a bomber and let your turrets waste it. Finally with the Tigershark and Wasp charge your mass drivers full and make good use of afterburner.

Re: Re: Prophecy Game Strategy

Originally posted by Penguin

The kat corvette's a tougher nut to crack. If you've got autoslide - use it. Otherwise you can orbit the corvette in a bomber and let your turrets waste it. Finally with the Tigershark and Wasp charge your mass drivers full and make good use of afterburner.

Yes, I agree with you. I found that taking out a carrier is easier than taking out a Kil corvette. For some strange reason, torps cannot lock onto the corvette so you have to use your guns and missiles to destoy it.
BTW, whose bright idea was to prohibit torps from locking onto anything smaller than a destroyer?!?! Man, those were the days when you could leech enemy fighter and then lock a torpedo onto it and BOOM! I know, it's a complete overkill and waste of valuable ammo, but it's FUN, FUN, FUN:D

(...)
Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

One rule that's true since WC1: First kill all fighters before you take on a capship. (Though you seem to have no problem with that).

Then target the cap ship from far away, let the torpedo lock and then fire. Very very seldom only your torpedo will get shot down in WCP (different in SOPS). And don't forget to eliminate shield emitters where necessary.
When flying the Devestator, rely mostly on your plasma cannon.

I also find that rolling can help you aviod turret fire, if you do it right, or you can act like a madman and fly every witch way and just make it so the missile can barely lock on :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

One rule that's true since WC1: First kill all fighters before you take on a capship. (Though you seem to have no problem with that).
There's times you don't want to obey that particular rule...
For example when successive waves of fighters come after you've destroyed the first wave or if the capship is bound to jump out of the system... :)

Techically (and according to Claw Marks), the wingleader's (your) job is to accomplish the mission objectives (here, on a Strike mission, to blow up the capship) and the wingman's job is to protect him. Granted, wingman A.I. in WC1 and 2 wasn't that great... :p

Skybolt...

what you should do is, reduce the enemy to NO shields and armour, then RAM HIS DUMB ASS!! THAT'S FUN FUN FUN!:D

Kat Corvette= EVIL
Bug Corvette= BIG JUICY TARGET

I feel bad when I use the plasma cannon on starships, because then i'll return with extra explosives and whatnot...

too bad you dont get a choice in ordanance...

I hope you're joking because Confed's military is seriously under-budgeted in 'peacetime'. Pity there wasn't some way one could be rewarded for bringing home one's ordnance.

Originally posted by Penguin
...literal walk in the park...
Um, what's a "walk in the park"? ;)

Originally posted by Skybolt
For some strange reason, torps cannot lock onto the corvette so you have to use your guns and missiles to destoy it.
No components on anything smaller than a destroyer. It's not so strange.

Originally posted by Skybolt
...those were the days when you could leech enemy fighter and then lock a torpedo onto it and BOOM!
Hmm, must try that. :)

Erm, not being able to fly through stuff is an improvement, IMO. Of course, if you're that desperate, you could always "dynomite" (or "shoehorn" for SO) and Ctrl-C for no collisions...

Valiant Lt

I've put the early suggestions to use with improved results - i last a few minutes longer!

In the Simulator flying the Shrike, i can't get the Valiant or the Firestorm T's to lock onto to the kat corvette's.

I have even used the invunerabilty cheat to get closer
(I.E 4 klicks) or to allow extra time for a lock, but nothing!

Am i missing something?

What is autoslide?

Corvettes aren't counted as CapShips by Prophecy, and therefore can't be locked on to with Torps.

TC

Back