Prophecy and Secret Ops in XP (was: WCP video question)

It's not Nvidia. Same problems with movies and a Radeon 9700 pro under xp. If I change the the sound acc. to 0 the system freezes.

Game works fine under win2k but with NO direct3d. If I want to change the videocard an error messages displays.

ARGHL

I'm having an odd problem trying to run SO in WinXP. The program itself works fine (even sound), except for one trivial thing--the mouse! I have no way of clicking where I need to click because the mouse cursor constantly moves up and to the left (towards the upper corner of the screen). Windows 95 and 98 modes don't stop this.

I'm able to click some things if I "fight" the up-left movement but it's still too fast for me to be able to click everything I need. I'm so close to getting this to work now after alot of headaches that to get stopped for something stupid like this is a nightmare...is there anything I can do?

You know, that's the same thing someone from another forum said. It SHOULD be calibrated, since I haven't done anything to mess it up, but I'll defnitely go and make sure it's okay. Thanks alot

Unregistered said:
It's not Nvidia. Same problems with movies and a Radeon 9700 pro under xp. If I change the the sound acc. to 0 the system freezes.

Game works fine under win2k but with NO direct3d. If I want to change the videocard an error messages displays.

ARGHL

I can't get my SO to work in Win2k at all. The same things I do to get WCP working do not work the same for SO. I too get an error message when I try to select my video card, but after clicking the ok button, I can then select my card. However, no matter what I choose (D3D or software) the game will crash before it even starts (screen turns black like its going to work, then goes into crash logging mode, where you click cancel before its done, or ok after its done.

The steps I took to get WCP working is in one of the other sticky threads, pertaining to WCP video.

Any other steps or tricks to try for this?

Specs:
Win2k Pro, all patches
DX 9.0b
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
On-board C-media sound card (had to disable the SB Audigy to get WCP to work)

Sorry for the bad news I'll be giving you.

Have you lookedthere?
As explained here too, I sometimes succeed with the Win95 compatibility mode under Win2K, but more often than not it's no use.. :confused:

XIII said:
Sorry for the bad news I'll be giving you.

Have you lookedthere?
As explained here too, I sometimes succeed with the Win95 compatibility mode under Win2K, but more often than not it's no use.. :confused:

That did the trick - I had to enable compatibility mode before I could play it. For some reason, Windows 2000 doesn't have that on by default. Thanks for the links - I must have overlooked them somehow. ;)

Follow-up: The game does poop out from time to time, mostly on launch from the Cerebus, but every time, I can re-start the game and launch again with no problems.

Hello

I posted the message about sending your problems to me at wcpdoesntwork@hotmail.com if you were having this weird FMV cutscene problem. Believe it or not, it's NOT a video problem, i think it might be a sound card problem. I didn't get a whole lot of response, but of the 3 people who emailed me, they all had Sound Blaster Live! sound cards, but they all had different video cards. PLEASE continue to email me at this address. if you are having any further problems with the FMV cutscenes skipping and just being a pain in your butt.

JGrms

Well to all you people who are having trouble with WC:p under XP, I have jut gotten mine to work by setting compatibility mode to 98\ME and turning the acceleration under the SOUND 2 in DXDIAG to off. By the way i am running a P4, 1.5GHz with a SoundBlaster Live! value and a GeForce 2 MX/MX 400.

I'd just like to toss my hat into the pile...

A few days ago I was scrounging through my old games when I came upon my WC:p discs and remembered how much FUN I had with that game. Well, I am also having trouble with the movies under Windows XP. The game plays just fine, it's just the dang live action sequences that seem to eat a can of spinach, heh.

Time of this report: 3/29/2004, 18:42:11
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
System Model: Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 163MB used, 1993MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0281&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (72Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5303 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2003 10:33:00, 4323968 bytes

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: NFORCE_VAD
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: nvapu.sys
Driver Version: 6.14.0366.0000 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 9/2/2003 15:51:00, 312704 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: NVIDIA Corporation
HW Accel Level: Full

WC Prophecy skipping video

I always thought it was Hardware acceleration on the sound tab in Dxdiag that caused this problem?
I turned mine to off...in fact, its always turned off and I've not had WCP installed for a while now!

Well, read above and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. ahem.
1. Set compatibility to Win95 or 98
2. if that doesn't work, try setting sound accel OFF.

3. IF that doesn't work either, try to use your onboard soundcard instead
4. If that also doesn't work, fiddle your way through the other Sticky about the problem and hope to find a soltuion that works for you
5. If that still doesn't work, try to install an additional Windows 98 and all tricks once again
6. If that doesn't work, you may buy another soundcard and try it with it.
7. If that doesn't work, you are one of the last few % for whom it doesn't work :(

Geez, I was just about to do that. Somebody above wanted statistics.

"Ahem!"

:D
Who? What? What did you want to do? Post the stuff I wrote? Or trying them out before I wrote? :) - And me wanting statistics? Who do you think I am ;) - My average is only 6 ppd :D

Heh that post was addressed to Edfilho, sorry for the vagueness. Thanks for your help again WUQKED, as always you are sharing your great insight on how to get WC to work on today's systems :)

Back