Privateer (the first one) problems..... plz help.

Just a few Q's

Hey, just for the heck of it, i start up P1 without loading the sound drivers into DOS at all. P1 was GREAT the speed of the game was right too, it wasn't running slowly like it usualy dose. when i was going 500kps my ship actualy traveled 500 kilometers in 1 second! (timed it with my watch). So then i loaded the sound drivers into DOS and configured P1 with the install program so that both my music and speach cards were NONE. so priv didn't even look for them. And the game was slow like it usualy is, even though i didn't have any sounds. Loading the sound drivers droped my Max executable program size from 591 to 689. so what's up with that? is 2k realy that much of a diff??

Also, in the other thread, somebody said i could have priv run compleatly off my HD and not even need the cd. then i wouldn't have to load my cd driver and i'd save some resourses. Would that help do you think?? and if it would, how do i do it?

Lastly, i have a SBPCI 128 Legacy device. is there a difference between a SBPCI 128 and the Legacy device??

I'm gana go follow the steps in your last post now. i'll let you know how it turns out.

ok, so i followed those instructions and the sound initializes ok, but you know that test file they say returned an error?? the SBTEST one that gave the invalid SB16 I/O, well i ran that and i got the error, but here's the interesting part, the way i had it set up before, the test ran fine. it makes two sounds, one is a voice saying "testing digital audio", and the other is some MIDI of a piano. So which config should i go with?

I ran priv with the new sound initialization, launched from New Constantinople on a mission from Roman Lynch, selected my first jump point, hit A for autopilot, and when the game came out of the auto pilot 'cinema' it froze, music kept playing like usual but nothing i did did anything. and after a few exaperated key presses, the box started making that little beep it makes when your keyboard buffer is full. thankfully Ctrl+Alt+Del worked. which brings me to present.

PS do you think running Priv of the hard drive would help?

Haltie, I am only going to give you the instruction to run P1 without a CD. From the CD copy *.tre files to c:\privater. Now in the c:\privater edit the priv.cfg and the rf.cfg files with notepad and change them to =c:priv.tre and =c:rf.tre. Now you can place the REM command in front of the CD-ROM driver in both the config.sys and autoexec.bat. That's it.

Now you really don't need to do this you have petty of conventional memory free. It's not going to fix your sound card issue. But if you want to do this, you can.

First Time Since i was 10

Wow, i did the whole running priv off the HD thing, and i just got done playing it for like an hour, and when i was done, i had to exit the game! ( meaning it didn't crash! ) i don't know if this is permanant but i'm hoping so!!! Feed back as to why this would help (or solve) the problem would be appriciated.

Haltie, does your sound card now works? You believe it's because of removing the CD-ROM? If this is the case then two or more programs were trying to excees the same memory address at the same time. Now there is a work around for this too. Using MS "memmaker". It's a old DOS program that MS made for DOS which would asign individual memory address to each program loading in the config.sys and autoexec.bat. But if you are happy with not using the CD-ROM for P1 you should keep it as is.

Re: First Time Since i was 10

Originally posted by Haltie
when i was done, i had to exit the game!

That´s what I call a happy ending. :p

Origin games and DOS are a mystery, Haltie. There are many possible reasons for your game to work without the CD, and we´d have to start another thread to find it out. :confused:
A list of possible reasons:
1. Your CD-Rom is scratched.
2. IRQ conflicts between the CD-Rom and the Soundboard.
3. Expanded memory problems (the major cause of bugs in the earlier WC games).
4. One of Microsoft´s unexplainable mysteries.
and so on...

But if it was me, I would go waste some Retros right away...

THANK YOU ALL AND HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH Starkey and Johnl12!!! I CAN PLAY PRIVATEER 1 NOW AND IT DOSN't CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SO HAPPY!!!!!!! :D :cool: ;)

one last thing though...... DON;T PANIC GUYZ!!!
i would like the game to run at full speed.... where can i get a joy?

PS... WHERE CAN I POST A MESSAGE THAT ALL WILL SEE SAYING HOW AWSOME YOU ARE???

One LAST (promise) thing.

How do i check the number of posts i've made???
and the costome picture thingy under your name, you gota be a cirten rank before you can put one up right???

The joy can't be USB right??

Here's a puzzler for ya!!!

What's error code, 130?-FFFF
Program halted by code

the ? is a number i can't remember. (REALY short term memory)

PS i got a joy and it works GREAT game speed is right and everything!!!!!!!!!!!! maby tha'll be relevant

Haltie, you lied.

Here what that error messade means.

Error Messages

"1303-FFFF" or any message ending in FFFF"
Try making a boot disk to run the game. After you have made the boot disk, run the game and see if the error appears again. If you have created the boot disk to the necessary specifications but continue to get the error message, you may need to delete the C:\PRIVATER directory and reinstall the game. Be sure to reboot your system with the boot disk prior to reinstallation.

http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/tech/gamefaq/privater.html

I am assuming you are using the bootdisk I make for you. Only the sound card stuff should be different. No one ever got this error message using my bootdisk before.

If you must re-install the game again, since you're not using the CD-ROM try this. Copy the CD to c:\privater. Do a select all and make sure that you uncheck the "Read only" box for all the files in c:\privater. Now use your bootdisk and install the game from c:\privater. I don't believe you'll need to edit the priv.cfg and rf.cfg this time but check them just to be safe.

If you still get the error then post your bootdisk again and we check it out.

Re: THANK YOU ALL AND HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

PS... WHERE CAN I POST A MESSAGE THAT ALL WILL SEE SAYING HOW AWSOME YOU ARE???

Hehe, I think the CIC guys already gave John an award for that! They´re calling him the "Repairman"!!!

About me, I´m always glad to help. Anytime you need some help, just ask!

The error message only poped up twice, and both times were like 30 seconds after i turned on invulnerablilty mode. I just stoped using it and the problem went away.

I am using the autoexec and config.sys pair you and Starkey recomended for me. why'd you call me a liar???

Lastly, when i copied the files from the CD to the HD i did it in dos with the command:

Copy d:\ c:\games\privater
Copy d:\inst c:\games\privater\inst
Copy d:\docs c:\games\privater\docs

After creating the appropriat directorys with the MD command.

Hey Starkey... i kinda failed the mission for the exploration company tward the end of Priv1, and saved before i found out... then she fired me and isn't in the bar no more...... :( will she ever come back?? I WANT MY STELTECK GUN!

It's Not My Fault!!!!!!

I got another error code! This time it's

403-FFFF. I didn't have invincibility on either.

it happened this time, after i reinstalled the game.... i'll post my autoexec and config.sys again (sigh). <-- (haltie smacks himself, realizing that Johnl12 and Starkey are probably WAY more annoyed than he is)

Thanx again guyz....

It only crashes once in a while, (like maby once ever 2 hrs.) should i just shut up and deal???

I don't see anything on that error. Post you bootdisk again and lets see whats going on. Lets also see how thing are loading in memory. Run the mem /c > p1mem.txt too.

One LAST (promise) thing.

How do i check the number of posts i've made???
and the costome picture thingy under your name, you gota be a cirten rank before you can put one up right???

The joy can't be USB right??

This is where Haltie lied.;)

Re: Re: THANK YOU ALL AND HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

Originally posted by Starkey

Hehe, I think the CIC guys already gave John an award for that! They´re calling him the "Repairman"!!!
That and $4.00 gets me a Venti Mocha Frappicino.;) Oh' this makes my 800 post. 98% of my post are done on the Tech Support side.

Back