Privateer (the first one) problems..... plz help.

As long as the joystick supports DOS then yes. Add J200 to the end of SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J200. This will activate a joystick port. Be aware that P1 only uses two buttons, the trigger and button #2.

Now let's see whats happening with the lockups. With the bootdisk I what you to run this command:

mem /c > p1mem.txt
mem(space)/c(space)>(space)p1mem.txt
Make sure you get the spacing correct.

This will create a report on how things are loading in memory. Post p1mem.txt. Also, post the current autoexec.bat and config.sys you are using.

YAY!!! There is still hope!!!!

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@echo off
set dosonly=1
set path=c:\windows\command
LH c:\windows\command\mscdex /D:IDECD000 /L:M
set prompt=$p$g
set temp=c:\windows\temp
call c:\dosboot\sblast_d.bat
LH c:\imouse\imouse

SBLAST_D.BAT
REM Ensoniq (Sound Blaster) Audio
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM

CONFIG.SYS
device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 16384 Frame=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffers=15
files=30
stacks=18,256
DEVICEHIGH=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

P1MEM.TXT
Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
SYSTEM 20,656 (20K) 10,592 (10K) 10,064 (10K)
HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)
EMM386 4,320 (4K) 4,320 (4K) 0 (0K)
MSCDEX 28,032 (27K) 28,032 (27K) 0 (0K)
SBINIT 1,904 (2K) 1,904 (2K) 0 (0K)
COMMAND 10,064 (10K) 0 (0K) 10,064 (10K)
IMOUSE 4,880 (5K) 0 (0K) 4,880 (5K)
OAKCDROM 36,064 (35K) 0 (0K) 36,064 (35K)
Free 620,304 (606K) 609,152 (595K) 11,152 (11K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 655,360 46,208 609,152
Upper 72,224 61,072 11,152
Reserved 0 0 0
Extended (XMS)* 267,298,272 3,101,152 264,197,120
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 268,025,856 3,208,432 264,817,424

Total under 1 MB 727,584 107,280 620,304

Total Expanded (EMS) 17,170,432 (16M)
Free Expanded (EMS)* 16,760,832 (16M)

* EMM386 is using XMS memory to simulate EMS memory as needed.
Free EMS memory may change as free XMS memory changes.

Largest executable program size 609,024 (595K)
Largest free upper memory block 7,984 (8K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

WHEW that's a lot of info!!!!!!! i havn't added the joy support yet, i figgured we could do that AFTER the game run's for more than 15 min without a crash.

SORRY about the impossible to read spaceing on my memory support... i tried to fix it but it won't listne..... it looks fine here, where i can type and stuff, but after i post it gose to the pooper!

Please read careful.

Below is a new autoexec.bat and config.sys. I clean it up somemore. I remove that call "c:\dosboot\sblast_d.bat" line. Lets load the sound card from the autoexec.bat. I added this line to the sound card settings
"SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS"
Do a find files for SNDSCAPE.INI and make sure the correct path is enter for SET SNDSCAPE=. Normally it's in the c:\windows but it could be in c:\sbpci. If you have a PCI 128 card like you said and you have the right driver for it you also need the SNDSCAPE.INI. If you don't have the correct driver I know where you can download them.

In the autoexec.bat this line is spilt.

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI\;

Make sure it's one line.

While using the bootdisk run the "DIAGNOSE" command to see if your sound card is working under DOS. Don't worry if your sound card doesn't work correctly I still have one more idea.

Which version of P1 are you using; floppy or CD?

----------------AUTOEXEC.BAT
REM @ECHO OFF

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI\;
SET PROMPT=$P$G
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP

REM --MOUSE
SET MOUSE=C:\IMOUSE
LH C:\IMOUSE\IMOUSE

REM ENSONIQ (SOUND BLASTER) AUDIO
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J200
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

REM ---CD-ROM
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:IDECD000
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
REM @ECHO ON

-------------------CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF

DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35

REM ---CD-ROM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:IDECD000 /V

SHELL=C:\ WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

I don't have sndscape.ini at all, i just made the new autoexec and config.sys and i'm gana try them now. I'll get right back to ya

Where to begin

opps i hit the new thread button instead of the post reply button!
sorry!

ok, here goes

1:] i do not have the sndscape.ini file you were talking about
2:] my game seems to be the same as before, it still locks, only
now, ctrl+alt+del works.
3:] i have the cd version of P1
4:] i had to reinstall the game because you changed my cd drive
letter on me!!!!! ( from m: to d: ) but it's ok.
5:] sound blaster initialises fine, for the game's config i'm using
general MIDI emulation, and Sound Blaster 16 emulation. the
settings for each i got from sbcfg.exe in my PCI directory.
6:] the music dosn't stop plaing when it freezes now.
7:] (may or may not be usefull) everytime it freezes, my cd drive
starts spinning like there is no tomorow. i don't know if this
matters.
8:]when i set joystick controll in the options menu and then launch, my ship just spinns REALLY REALLY FAST! and i can't controll it.

That D: drive is better. Using the M: drive was wasting resoucres.

Don't use general MIDI emulation, your sound card is not configure for that. Use SB 16/Pro. When configuring the sound card use Port=220, Irq=7 and Dma=1

Joystick make sure when you choose Joystick you also choose the Joystick Calibration (top middle of screen) button and calibrate your joystick.

Now if you are still having problems with the sound card try download the PCI64.zip file here:
http://www.spmicro.com/mp3sidekick/ensoniq.html
Extract it to "c:\sound" and replace the sound card setting with this.

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T6 J200
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\SOUND
C:\SOUND\APINIT.COM
REM C:\SOUND\APLOAD.EXE

When configuring the sound card use Use SB 16/Pro, Port=220, Irq=7 and Dma=1

Make sure you save the the other sound card settings just in case.

Hey Haltie and John, I'm back.

Haltie, I am not going to make any comments before you try John's suggestions because I think they're good and you have to try one thing at a time.

About your joystick, I think that's a problem with WC games and low-end joysticks like yours and mine.

For instance, I have a Made in China "Radio Shack" 10-bucks joystick. :confused: So I get that "spinning" problem sometimes. Your ship starts to spin because the joystick locks up when you are moving the joystick and the only solution is to restart the game. With my joystick the problem is random, I've tried to solve it but I do not know the answer yet, so I just keep trying to start the game until it finally works right.

I have a suggestion though. Before playing P1, try calibrating your joystick in another game then exit the game, DO NOT REBOOT and start P1. See if that helps.

John is right, you can only try General Midi if everything else works. You better set your P1 soundcard to "Soundblaster" (the oldest one) setting.

Haltie, try disabling speech and sound effects in P1 and enabling only the music. See if it works, then tell us.

ACK Sound Card won't initialize!

when i run the command apinit.com from my new sound folder, it says ERROR canot read sndscape.ini so i ran another search and that file is NOWHERE on my computer.... what's going on?

Hi haltie,

Remove that "sndscape" line.

I have SBPCI 128. Here goes my autoexec and config. See if it gives you any idea. Priv1 works perfecty on my computer.

Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
set dircmd=/o/p
set blaster=a220 i7 d1 t2
set sbpci=c:\arquiv~1\creative\audio\dosdrv
set temp=c:\windows\temp
lh c:\arquiv~1\creative\audio\dosdrv\sbinit.com
lh c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000

config.sys:
device=c:\windows\setver.exe
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram
dos=high,umb
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /v
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)

Final Showdown with DOS

Ok, i'd like to think that i'm a smart guy, so this is my final effort at figuring out what's wrong. Everybody elses sould init stuff has it in a folder called dosdrv or something of the like, except me. i don't think i have any dos drivers at all, i only have sbinit located in two places on my computer. 1 c:\scpci and 2 c:\windows\options\cabs i've tried running both and there is no diff between the two. But, i have perfect sounding sound in the game besides that it is slow and i have picked up that that's from me not using a joy. also, using MIDI emu, only because i tried using sound blaster (all three) and the music still played but it sounded crappy, it wasn't the same music either. with midi i get drum roles and fortendo's and stuff, but with SB i get beeps and twangs and it sounds very dissonent. So, do i need a new sound driver??? one for dos maby??? quick everybody slap me if i'm way off here.

Final Showdown with DOS

list if q's
do i need?
set dircmd=/o/p

what EXACTLY should the line
Set Blaster=???? say?

am i right about the dosdriver thing???
am i am i am i hu hu hu???????????????? lol

is there any other info i can post that would be usefull???
ie ANYTHING???

PS... PLEASE GOD JUST MAKE THE GAME WORK!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEESSSAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Starkey
Hi haltie,

Remove that "sndscape" line.

Autoexec.bat:

set dircmd=/o/p
set blaster=a220 i7 d1 t2
config.sys:
device=c:\windows\setver.exe
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)

If i remove the set sndscape=c:\sound then the Error can't read sndscape.ini changes to ERROR sndscape environment variable not found

also i don't have that set dircmd=/o/p do i need it????

my set blaster= line is WAY longer... it's
is that ok?

setver??? do i need??

display.sys??? do i need????

Originally posted by Johnl12

Don't use general MIDI emulation, your sound card is not configure for that. Use SB 16/Pro. When configuring the sound card use Port=220, Irq=7 and Dma=1

John is right, you can only try General Midi if everything else works. You better set your P1 soundcard to "Soundblaster" (the oldest one) setting.

which sb setting do i set the game to run with???
do i use it for both speach and music???
also, if i set music to anything except general MIDI or... something else i can't remember that i don't have and my sb can't emulate, the music get's all trashy.

Originally posted by Haltie

If i remove the set sndscape=c:\sound then the Error can't read sndscape.ini changes to ERROR sndscape environment variable not found

also i don't have that set dircmd=/o/p do i need it????

my set blaster= line is WAY longer... it's
is that ok?

setver??? do i need??

display.sys??? do i need????

better ask that sndscape.ini stuff to John, he suggested that.

you don't need set dircmd but it won't harm also.

cut your set blaster line to a220 i7 d1 t2

you do not NEED setver, but it won't harm

you do not need display.sys.

which sb setting do i set the game to run with???
do i use it for both speach and music???
also, if i set music to anything except general MIDI or... something else i can't remember that i don't have and my sb can't emulate, the music get's all trashy.

Hi haltie,

Set Privateer sound and music to SoundBlaster or SoundBlaster PRO, configuration: Port 220, Irq 7, dma 1

"General Midi or..."... Roland MT32, please define "trashy", the music works or not?

Re: Final Showdown with DOS

also, i'm using MIDI emu, only because i tried using sound blaster (all three) and the music still played but it sounded crappy, it wasn't the same music either. with midi i get drum roles and fortendo's and stuff, but with SB i get beeps and twangs and it sounds very dissonent. So, do i need a new sound driver??? one for dos maby??? quick everybody slap me if i'm way off here.

i'll change the SB line and see if it helps.

better ask that sndscape.ini stuff to John, he suggested that.

John???????? sndscape.ini wasn't included in that zip you had me download.

and my soundcard won't initialize because it says canot read sndscape.ini

there's always hope

John, I'm sorry but I think Haltie is right. I do not think there's a need for new drivers, since I have a SB PCI 128, I'm using its original drivers and everything works fine in DOS and Priv1

Haltie, I had trouble also setting my SB card to work in DOS but I found this text in the internet and followed its instructions so my card started working great, even with Privateer. With all due respect to John's suggestion, you might wanna use your original SB PCI 128 drivers and follow these instructions, there are somethings I forgot to mention before:

"File: SBPCIDOS.TXT
Author: Pat Kenny (prkenny@zip.com.au)
Date: 26 January 2000

Purpose: This document describes the steps to get the Creative Labs Vibra 128 sound card (Vibra 128) and the Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card (SBPCI 128) working in the DOS operating system (as opposed to DOS sessions run from, or in the version of DOS accompanying, Windows 95/98). In the absence of any documentation on the subject by Creative Labs, the process has been determined empirically by the author through trial and error. Accordingly, the steps described may not work with all PCs. Further, the author had access to the Vibra 128, but not to the SBPCI 128, so the DOS installation process has only been validated for the Vibra 128 by the author. Confirmation of the validity of the DOS installation process for the SBPCI 128 sound card, or of improvements to the DOS installation process for either sound card, would accordingly be welcomed.

Test Bed Configuration:

Hardware:
Motherboard: twaNP5TX-Bpro ver 2.0e 09/25/1997
Bios: Award Modular Bios v 4.51PG
CPU: Pentium 200 MMX
Memory: 64 MBytes
Hard Disk: 2.5 GByte IDE
Floppy Disk Drive: 1.44 MByte 3.5"
CDROM: Mitsumi 6x IDE
Sound Card: Creative Labs Vibra 128 PCI
Video Card: S3 Trio 64 1 MByte PCI
Video Bios: S3 86C775 Video BIOS Version 1.01.04 06/27/97
Video Monitor: Ipex 15" SVGA
Network Card: Compex FL32 DEC 21041 Ethernet PCI
Keyboard: 104 key IBM
Mouse: Logitech 3-button

Software:
Operating System: MS DOS 6.22
Other Software: 3D Realms - Duke Nukem 3D
Interplay - Redneck Rampage
Capstone - Witch Haven
Capstone - Witch Haven 2
Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11

DOS Installation Procedure for Vibra 128 & SBPCI 128:

1. The following DOS installation files are included with the Creative Labs driver set for the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128. They must be copied to a directory (eg, C:\SBPCI) on the PC's Hard Drive.

sblegacy.exe
sbinit.com
sbpci.bin
sbpci.ini

2. The following waveset files are also included with the Creative Labs driver set for the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128. At least one of these files must be copied to a directory (eg, C:\SBPCI\WAVESETS) on the PC's Hard Drive:

eapci2m.ecw
eapci4m.ecw
eapci8m.ecw

Renaming a copy of the chosen file to "default.ecw" is recommended.

3. A specific line (normally the last line) in the sbpci.ini file must be edited to point to the location and name of the chosen waveset file, as follows (using the suggested directory and naming convention as an example):

Synthfile=c:\SBPCI\WAVESETS\default.ecw

4. The following entries must be inserted into the autoexec.bat file in the root directory of the C: drive (using the directory examples suggested in paragraphs 1 & 2):

SET BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 T:2
C:\SBPCI\SBLEGACY.EXE

Note that the values used in the "SET BLASTER=" statement should correspond with those specified in the SBPCI.INI file (A:<IO Port Address> I:<IRQ> D:<DMA> T:<Sound Blaster version>). Note also that SBLEGACY.EXE must be run before SBINIT.COM.

5. After rebooting the PC, DOS applications should recognise, and be able to use, the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128 as an 8-bit mono sound blaster card. Each of the listed software applications were successful in doing so on the test bed. The author successively tested BLASTER environment variable values corresponding to a Sound Blaster Pro, a Sound Blaster 16 and a Sound Blaster AWE32 (all stereo cards), but the Vibra 128 responded as an 8-bit mon sound blaster card each time.

6. The following useful DOS utilities are also provided with the Creative Labs driver sets for use with the DOS installation of the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128:

sbcfg.exe
sbload.exe
sbmixer.exe
sbtest.exe
mt32.exe

The sbtest.exe program consistently returned an error on the test bed, as follows:

error: "000"; invalid SB16 I/O address

Advice on the cause of this error would be welcomed. All remaining listed utility programs functioned without error on the test bed."
(end of instructions)

Read them patiently and follow everything. Hope that helps. I am not using the "sblegacy.exe" line and my card is working fine, though. But follow all the instructions and see what happens.
About General MIDI, it does give you a much better sound, but let's try to get SB settings work first then we could try General Midi, ok? One step at a time...

Starkey, I'll back off here. We know the problem is the sound card configuration. Since you believe you can get it going I will step a side so as not to add anymore confusion to Haltie. Good luck :)

Back