Privateer (the first one) problems..... plz help.

Haltie

Spaceman
Ok, i've got the first privateer game :D, and i've done everything in the boot disk department so now i have mouse, cd-drive support, and my sound card starts up ok (at least the sound works in privateer) but the game run's way slowly, the music crackles but only when i'm in flight (not during autopilot, landing, etc. sequences) and it's fine at bases. The soundeffects seem to be ok but there's a pop just before somebody says something. well, sure sounds like i'm whining, but all of the above i can deal with, the thing that's realy getting me is that the game freezes :(. REALLY FREEZES. can't exit the game, speakers keep buzzing the last 10th of a second of sound, and Ctrl+Alt+Delete dosn't even do anything. it usualy freezes when somebody blows up, or when i come out of autopilot. can anybody help please!!!!!! would it help if i gave my system specks, autoexec.bat and config.sys???:(

My info (thought it might help)

My system specs:
Windows 98 second edition
pentium 3E -800MHz
NVIDIA GForce DDR (like it matters)
SB Live -or- Sound Blaster 16 PCI -or- SB AudioPCI 128 Legacy
(pritty much any sound card i set in the config plays the same things with the same quality)

AUTOEXEC.BAT
set DosOnly=1
set path=c:\windows\command
call c:\dosboot\sblast_d.bat

LH c:\windows\command\mscdex {blah blah}
LH c:\imouse\imouse.com

SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\windows\TEMP

CONFIG.SYS
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe 2592 Frame=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
DOS=UMB
DOS=HIGH
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\oadcdrom.sys {blah blah}
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS /MOVE

when all's said and done, my largest executable program size is only about 583. Plz SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: My info (thought it might help)

Originally posted by Haltie

when all's said and done, my largest executable program size is only about 583. Plz SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

583 kb ain't bad. What is the problem? You can't start the game?

no, it starts just fine, in the first message i said the problem was crackley sound and crashing. realy bad crashing, the freezing kind, where Ctrl+Alt+Delete dosn't do anything.

Change this line:

Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe 2592 Frame=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

To this:

Device=C:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe 16384 Frame=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

The sound should work fine. Of course, edit the line breaks this post may create.

Do you ahve a joystick? P1 needs a joystick, it's the way the game was design. Post your c:\dosboot\sblast_d.bat

also, try adding this STACKS=18,256 above the FILES=25 line. And do what Saturnyne said.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Do you ahve a joystick? P1 needs a joystick, it's the way the game was design. Post your c:\dosboot\sblast_d.bat
I´ve played P1 with no joystick installed and the game worked fine.

no, it starts just fine, in the first message i said the problem was crackley sound and crashing. realy bad crashing, the freezing kind, where Ctrl+Alt+Delete dosn't do anything.

You should try to disable sound and music in P1 first and see if the game works. If it works, we will concentrate on fixing your soundboard settings. If not, let me know, I have a few more suggestions. :cool:

No Change

I changed the Emm386.exe 2592 line to Emm386.exe 16384, and then my bootdisk got all fragged and i had to make a new one. The new one has the new Emm386 line and works fine, but when i start up Privater, it's the same as before :( . I've started it up with the sound disabled and it dosn't crash or freeze, so i'm pritty sure it a sound thing. The new config.sys and autoexec.bat look like this:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
set DosOnly=1

LH c:\windows\commandmscdex [blah, blah]

SET PROMPT=$p$g

set mouse=c:\imouse
if "%DosOnly%"=="1" c:\imouse\imouse

@c:\dosboot\pcifind 0x0002 0x1102
if errorlevel 1 goto NOSBLIVE
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
:NOSBLIVE

REM Ensoniq (Sound Blaster) Audio

Set BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM

I know the sound card is initialized twice, but this is the way my computer said it should be set up...... i'm lost on this one

CONFIG.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffershigh=10
fcbshigh=4
fileshigh=30
lastdrivehigh=Z
stackshigh=9,256
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.sys [blah, blah]

So, now that config.sys and autoexec.bat are a bit changed. the game runs, same problems, max executable program size is now 587. so... i usualy get anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minuts of playtime after launching from base before it freezes. Thanx for all your help everybody.

Oh, one other thing, it crashes with sound effects off and music on, and also with music on and sound effects off. and i don't have a joystick:rolleyes:

Your trying to load two sound cards that the same time in DOS. This is a no, no. What sound card do you have? Your bootdisk is pretty miss up. You got stuff enter wrong and things you don't even need. Once you tell us which sound card you have I can clean it up.

It's immportant to know exactly which sound card you have. blah, blah is not avail command. A take your pick aprouch to the sound card doesn't work. Each sound card need it own correct settings to work. What works for one card does not mean it will work for the others.

Starkey, the game plays smoother with a joystick. So does the music. Here a direct quote from origin tech support site.

Unfortunately, Privateer requires a joystick to run properly. The frame rate is balanced for joystick input and therefore, a joystick is highly recommended for play. Check the "typematic-rate setting" in your system's BIOS. It is likely that your keyboard "buffer" is over-flowing. Try 'tapping' the keys on the keyboard instead of holding them down.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Starkey, the game plays smoother with a joystick. So does the music. Here a direct quote from origin tech support site.

That´s what I said, P1 WORKS with a joystick, although not smoothly. My point was that the crashes are not being caused by the lack of a joystick.

Re: No Change

AUTOEXEC.BAT
set DosOnly=1

SET PROMPT=$p$g

if "%DosOnly%"=="1" c:\imouse\imouse

@c:\dosboot\pcifind 0x0002 0x1102
if errorlevel 1 goto NOSBLIVE
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
:NOSBLIVE

REM Ensoniq (Sound Blaster) Audio

Set BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6

I know the sound card is initialized twice, but this is the way my computer said it should be set up...... i'm lost on this one
Sorry, but your autoexec.bat is a MESS. I have a SB PCI 128 and I know how to make it work. Try rewriting the autoexec to this:

SET PROMPT=$p$g
set dircmd=/o/p (this one is cool)
if "%DosOnly%"=="1" c:\imouse\imouse (crazy line, but if your mouse works, fine)
SET BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 T:2
SET SBPCI=C:\progra~1\creative \sblive\dosdrv\ (*)
lh C:\progra~1\creative \sblive\dosdrv (*)
(check this folder to see if sbinit.com is in it and that the path is correct)
(end)
* - there are no spaces in \creative\sblive..., i had to put them because this forum´s software kept breaking the line in two.

CONFIG.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffershigh=10
fcbshigh=4
fileshigh=30
lastdrivehigh=Z
stackshigh=9,256
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.sys /testmem: off

This one is not so messy as the autoexec, but there is a certain order of lines that you must obey.
The dos=high,umb line must come AFTER himem and emm386.
And that "lastdrive" stuff is not necessary since DOS 4.0.
Here goes your new config.sys:

Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.sys
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffers=15
files=30
stacks=9,256

Let me know the result.

Whew!!! this stuff is rough

so i re-wrote my autoexec.bat and config.sys to what Starkey said, but i havn't tried it out yet, i'm gana do that now, i just wanted to say that i looked up my sound card in windercooler, and it says i have a Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128 Legacy Device. i gota be honest though, i don't realy know what to do with that.....

Thanx again for all your help!

Re: Whew!!! this stuff is rough

whew! this stuff is rough

It took me a few years out of my life to decode all the mysteries in autoexec.bat and config.sys. When I finally understood everything, Mr. Bill Gates comes with Win95 and you know how the story ends.... :confused:

Hey, Haltie, check my post again, I´ve made some minor changes.
One thing you have to be sure of is the folder where your SoundBlaster software is installed.
If you have SBPCI and not SBLIVE, you it should be in the same folder as in my computer:
c:\progra~1\creative\audio\dosdrv\

check that twice and write the CORRECT directory in autoexec.bat in the lines that deal with "set sbpci" and "sbinit.com"

Re: Re: Whew!!! this stuff is rough

Originally posted by Starkey

c:\progra~1\creative\audio\dosdrv\

Administrators, why does the forum software keeps breaking those lines? What should I do to avoid that?

...why.... WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

lol..... i checked that folder you were talking about and it dosn't exist, but i DO have a sbpci and it's in c:\sbpci i found the ini file and everything. i ran the sound tester in dos and everything in the sound department is perfect. ( i even doubble checked my midi support and digital sound IRQ's PORT's n stuff) but here's the thing........ it's still freezing. and now it dose in at bases too.............. :( :(
Here's the latest autoexec and config.sys

AUTOEXEC.BAT
LH c:\windows\command\mscdex /D:IDECD000 /L:M
SET PROMPT=$p$g

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6

c:\imouse\imouse
doskey <-- (makes life easyer)

CONFIG.SYS
Device=c:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys /testmem:eek:ff
Device=c:\WINDOWS\Emm386.exe 16384 Frame=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
buffers=15
files=30
stacks=18,256
Device=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

hopefully it's a bit less of a mess now....... lol.....
PS... Game frame rate is related to controll type??? so if i get a joy, i won't run slow no more??? Where can i get one??? ARG oh well one thing at a time, first we make it not crash!

THANX ALL

no need to panic...yet :eek:

I think Priv is the toughest-to-run game of all WC. But I´ve always beaten all Origin´s DOS boobytraps. We will get there.

Let´s do this: I am at my office now. I bought my SBPCI 128 this week and I haven´t tried it with Priv1 yet. I might have the same problem so I will come up later with more ideas, ok?

Keep that bootdisk intact. We will need it.

Meanwhile, you can try another thing, but I don´t have any idea if it will work. Try (in another bootdisk) using a driver for the older SB cards (The original SB or SB Pro.) Things can´t get worse, right?

use "lh" before your autoexec mouse line and use "devicehigh" on your config.sys cd-rom line
About Doskey, it makes your life easier but sucks your base memory out. It´s your choice.

Re: Re: Re: Whew!!! this stuff is rough

Originally posted by Starkey

Administrators, why does the forum software keeps breaking those lines? What should I do to avoid that?
Starkey, I spoke to Kris before about this. I don't really understand why too. It's suppose to stop people from posting pictures. This hasn't really stop that from happening. You could email Kris and see if he might re-think this.:)

OK, the boot disk is being saved. i don't have any old drivers that i know of for my SB, i fixed those two lines, the music get's worse over time un flight now. Anxiously awaiting your good advice.

Congrats on the promotion Starkey!

Thanx again

Depressing Update....

So the current autoexec and config.sys give me 595k largest executable program size (which is bigger than i've ever seen it). but unfortunatly, the game is still locking up. I turned off sound and music in the options menu so that i could play, but it locked up anyway!!!!!! :( nothing worked, but this time i could restart with ctrl+alt+del. so what can be done???

Also i got myself a Logitech Wingman Extreme flight simulator joystick for 6 bucks! will that work with the game?

did you guyz forget about me?? :(
Am i beyond all redemption?? :confused:

Back