Privateer Runs In Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Wedge009
The ex-office Compaqs Dad gets from the office are great for playing Privateer, etc, but they sure caused a headache for me - the 486 blew up its power transformer, the P166 had memory chips go bad, and then (much) later, the hard disk became unreliable... I think I use it a bit too much.

The University I work at made me toss out a few dozen of those suckers last week. We half-filled tractor trailer between that and the old mechanical typewriters.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hey, you're not wasting money if you can get a working copy. Try looking for the CD version - lotsa speech in those, plus you're almost guaranteed the RF add-on.

Privateer Gold CD does in fact have the Rightious Fire add on, and yep, every character, even in flight, has voice, not the annoying text that flashes by so fast you miss the bulk of the message!

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

It sets up a PIF reboot and boots to dos mode to run. Other than what was stated in this thread with windows xp and a PC emulator proggy that cost over 100 bucks, well, Id rather let the machine reboot to dos, or build a couple of dos machines for these older games.

Even with the PIF reboot, if your win 9x system is missing certian dos os files, like emm386 and a couple of others, you will run into problems. Plus, your hardware such as sound card, joystick etc, must be able to run dos mode and appropriate dos drivers, that can be found just about anywhere.

Check flea markets and liquidation sales for old dos machines. Some of them are well equipped with peripherials, and cheap too.

Maybe that is what EA/OSI could do, work on some way to get ALL of these older WC dos games to work in windows 9x thru xp.

HAH! Ya, wishfull thinking.

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
Privateer Gold CD does in fact have the Rightious Fire add on, and yep, every character, even in flight, has voice, not the annoying text that flashes by so fast you miss the bulk of the message!
AFAIK, most CD versions include RF. Actually, I find the text boxes run too slowly - I turned off sound once, and became very impatient waiting for the Steltek Scout to finish its talking!

Originally posted by Loozer
Is Privateer Gold the version that works in Win95?
To date, no version of Privateer works in Windows.

Originally posted by Loozer
is privateer gold the version that works in win95?
No version of P1 works in windows. Gold only refer to sequel Righteous Fire being included. This game can only play in DOS.

The Virual PC still has a problem with P1. I went to it's web site and Joystick support is a issue. Plus the $199.00 price tag.

Pretty much any (if not all, I just don't like saying all) CD version of Privateer is going to have RF on it. The Gold edition is just the standard rerelease that EA/OSI does. It has all the extras, and a manual on the disk.

And the voices!! All those voices! I like the CD version voices better than the floppy sound add on version.

RFB

Originally posted by Ghost
And Priv Gold it has full speech

Originally posted by TC
It has all the extras, and a manual on the disk.
Odd, I have all that, but I'm pretty sure it's not called "Gold". No fair, I want the word "Gold" on my CD. :/

Well, I didn't get a gold box, then. :) I assume it all works out the same then, since I've seen pictures of boxes similar to mine, but in a 'golden brown' as opposed to my black one.

all this talk of privateer is making me feel bad. i havent even played the game but im more motivated to now.:)

Back