Privateer Runs In Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ford6

with a mixture of PIF and Atslow I can run WC:privateer, WC:Acadamy, and WC:Armada. The last one seems to have a bug in it that makes it to crash after 15 min of play, even on a 486 SX 66.

I don't believe you that your running them in windows and not a DOS reboot. If you can prove your claim of Armada and Privateer, I'll be mightily impressed and also confused...

Yes... that's nice. It's also somewhat of an impossibility, as we know it, to have privateer or armada run in a DOS window.

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
That's nice but that still isn't running *inside Windows* is it? Plus it doesn't work on any NT based OS.

I'vemanaged to get Privateers main menu to come up on a NT build 3.1 system, but the game wount run.

I am of course talking of modern OSes. The main menu would probably come up on Windows 3.1 too but that doesn't help much.

Originally posted by TC
Yes... that's nice. It's also somewhat of an impossibility, as we know it, to have privateer or armada run in a DOS window.

odd, the only problem I had was that when I had first made the pif, I specified too little memory which crash the game during game play.

it's also "somewhat of an impossibilty" to make a '66 Shelby run with out a carberator. Yet my uncle did just that by jamming a jet (a part from a carberator that atamizes the fuel so it can mix more easly with air) on the fuel line over the throttle butterfly. this meathed was latter reenginerred and is now called throttle body fuel injection.

Really? Well this is called "Windows". It sucks. You can't remodel it's internal structure so if something doesn't work, it'll never work.

I am of course talking of modern OSes. The main menu would probably come up on Windows 3.1 too but that doesn't help much.

Your right it probably would. however I was talking about Windows NT build 3.1

Don't you think I know that? If I thought you were talking about Win3.1 I wouldn't have mentioned it as a separate example.

Originally posted by TC
I'll believe you when you post some sort of proof and it's reproducable.

The challnege has be made and accepted. I'll reinstall and make it work agin so that you will have the proof you wish.

fyi: in windows 9X the pif is intergated into the programs shortcut.

I shall point out beforehand that a shortcut that reboots to DOS does not count as a game working in windows.

I don't see why you wouldn't have sound.. most sound cards work in DOS. The exception would be USB sound cards. Digital joysticks are the real problem.

The exception would be USB sound cards.

Dang, you found me out. :D

seeing as how its now 2am here, I'll start on making the pif towmarrow. one more thing, my privateer CD includes the Righteous Fire addon.

this is NOT a hoax. I have got it running they recommand a p3 500 processor for the emulator, I run priv on my p2 333 it has sound and there has only been two bugs so far. the first bug, my USB joystick when plugged in causes priv to go into calibration mode. it gets calibrated but says calibration failed. no i dea there and goes into an endless loop. If you run priv with it unplugged BTW mine is a ms forcefeedback2 it gets FULLY into the game. It was too slow on my p2 333 especially with music but on a faster box it'd be very nice. BTW to those who said build a dosbox I ALREADY HAVE ONE I just wanted to run priv on my newer pc, I am attempting to run all the pc based wc games and SWC mac on one box. If you need proof simple, give me 20mb of webspace and i'll put my hard drive image online. all you have to do is download the file and install virtualpc dos and priv are already installed. you'll need the privateer cd, to prevent pirating no .tres have been copied. BTW the emulator itself emulates a soundblaster 16. AND cpl hades no a dosbox is incapable of doing what your saying privateer requires direct cpu access available only through OS2, full dos mode, or an emulated CPU.

Nobody said yours was a hoax. It's just not a suprise. It's virtualPC. It's running a virtual machine over top of your system. It's not suprising that you can get DOS, and then Privateer running in it.

Back