Privateer Runs In Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!

true, I must say though vmware was always thought of as the best hope. vmware cannot do it they did not add emm386 support.

If anyone can reliably get Privateer to run in any of the Win9x or XP or NT systems, it comes at a perfect time since Mario (HC1) Brito is currently researching Privateer and RF for editing purposes. A project that I am happy to be a part of. There is a test mission already made and up on Mario's website. The mission should work for both floppy AND CD versions. For the floppy version, you need to have RF installed since part of the mission relies on the use of some of the RF .tre file information.

Its quite a mission! As the elite counselor to Jones said in the bar at Capella, "Simple, but not easy!"

Grab it, play it, I wish you the best of luck infidel! :D

And there is more to come!

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

You can get the mission from Mario's web site, linked from the CIC links page. Once you get to Mario's home page, scroll down to the drop down menu, and select "2002 Projects". This will take you to the page with the P1 mission and research notes.

Privateer 1 test mission

Enjoy! :)

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

ok, here's how it's done.
Step 1: Download virtualpc for windows and install it.
Step 2: Download my preset (20mb) and extract it to the hard drive.
Step 3: Run Virtual PC and select new PC
Step 4: Type in a name for the new pc hit next, select guide me hit next, Select dos from the scrollbox hit next, adjust pc's memory set it to 16mb hit next, Select an existing hard disk image select my file and hit next. select Finish! it's now ready to play Privateer and righteous fire. just load the pc and when it boots type cd \privater (Enter) and then priv (Enter).

Darkmage, where is this "preset" you are talking about. Also, I hope someone would save these instruction on CIC.

Are you able to get a joystick to work?

Did anyone check the price for Virtual PC? $199.00. You can buy a old 486 with monitor and DOS install for under $50.00.

Not to take anything from Virtual PC, but the price tag is a factor.

true, but the whole point of vpc for me is, if I buy a new laptop. i can run every wc game easily without lugging around at least two laptops, one for new one for old... and with NO reboot.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Did anyone check the price for Virtual PC? $199.00. You can buy a old 486 with monitor and DOS install for under $50.00.

Under $50?! Christ, I just tossed out about 50 old school 486 computers at my college job on Monday. I could've just given one to you.

Not to take anything from Virtual PC, but the price tag is a factor.

Id have to agree, the price is a bit steep, at least for just playing old games.

yes i just have gotten privateer in the mail off ebay, and now for some strange reason my computers hard drive is crashing i turn it on an the only way the hard drive starts up is when i take the system an lean it towards me well its an all in one system (compaq presario 425) and its pretty heavy, but when i lay it flat on the system the screen goes blank and you can hear the hard drive stop :eek: oh well need to get another dos computer, what luck! :rolleyes:

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Blow out the inside of the PC with a can of air to get the dust out. Common problem. You can get it at any computer store. Reseat the memory. Oh' make sure the PC is disconnected of any power source first. Monitor, speaker, phone line. ect...
Also make sure the exhaust fan on the power supply is still rotating. If it's not than replace the power supply.

The ex-office Compaqs Dad gets from the office are great for playing Privateer, etc, but they sure caused a headache for me - the 486 blew up its power transformer, the P166 had memory chips go bad, and then (much) later, the hard disk became unreliable... I think I use it a bit too much.

Originally posted by ford6

Dang, you found me out. :D

seeing as how its now 2am here, I'll start on making the pif towmarrow. one more thing, my privateer CD includes the Righteous Fire addon.
Hey, ford6. Where that pif?

Blow out the inside of the PC with a can of air to get the dust out. Common problem. You can get it at any computer store. Reseat the memory. Oh' make sure the PC is disconnected of any power source first. Monitor, speaker, phone line. ect...
Also make sure the exhaust fan on the power supply is still rotating. If it's not than replace the power supply.

thanks for the tech help john, i found out the female plug in (which is part of the casing) that plugs in to the video card was not properly seated in, well everythings fine now, but once again on a couple of disks it keeps giving me the error: Warning failed CRC check, then once its finished installation, i type the execution command to play the game and the screen goes blank. then the hard drive stops, well, this is the third copy of privateer ive purchased and tried playing, and i get the same results. i did a scandisk on each floppy but came up with no errors. i think ill stop wasting my money on purchasing numerous copies of privateer.

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Hey, you're not wasting money if you can get a working copy. Try looking for the CD version - lotsa speech in those, plus you're almost guaranteed the RF add-on.

Back