Privateer 3 help

Pick the player character for Privateer 3.

• Grayson Burrows. (Privateer)

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Lev Arris (Privateer 2, The Darkening)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Someone else. (Make suggestion)

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Ripper
The engine.... that depends on EA/Origin. My plan is to approach them with a mostly planned and laid out game, ready to program, produce, and market. Maybe some demo stuff to give an idea what it may look like. With most of the R&D out of the way, I think I can get them to help finish it up.
You do realise that most game companies, for reasons of copyright, do not even look at any ideas submitted from the outside?

Sorry to be the realist here, but unless you've got a game development studio to back you (which would allow you to go through the standard lawyer-infested channels to get the license and/or development money), your idea will not get anywhere, no matter how well thought-out it is and how much work you put into it. Their legal department won't even let them read it.

Actually, EA will look at game ideas from outside the company. Of course, the only examples I know of are people who have been employed by them in the past, so this isn't really very useful. Let's put it this way, if EA were interested in a Wing Commander game at the moment, and had the participation of everyone they felt was needed to make it a success, they'd already be working on one.

Christopher Blair should be the new Privateer.

He was sent to an unfamiliar place when the wormhole collapsed... the Tri System!

And he has a new enemy, the new leader of the pirates, Lev Arris.

But is he the real enemy... or is he not?

That guy looks just like the old XO from the Tíger Claw. That other like a younger Tolwyn.

Can Blair adapt?

Christopher Blair would make a sucky Privateer, especially for the set timeframe (where he is making the bombing run to Kilrah, then afterwards he retires into farming, then is recalled to active military service)

Also Ripper, can I make a suggestion?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Make it possible to somehow land on a carrier and steal a space-craft? (make it VERY hard and dangerous) because I -REALLY- want to fly a WC3 version Excalibur! (the one with the reaper cannons)

Also, remember that the fighters used by Confed went through some changes betweem WC3 and WC4 --

The Excalibur for example was stripped of it's Reaper Cannons and had them replaced with something else (I'm sure they were Ion Cannons) - maybe you could make this an Excalibur-b or something? Or the F-101a Excalibur?

----

Also, if it's possible for the player to fly an Excalibur, can it PLEASE be possible for them to go up against a Dragon?? It's like, my dream to take on a Dragon in an Excalibur!

May I also suggest the possibility of "obtaining" a cloaking device after killing a Strahka (spelling?) or something? Just to give players that minor "edge" over the NPCs :)

Also, avoid the drivel that was spewed out with Freelancer with that levelling crap! - Honestly, as if the Liberty Navy would be using ships that are made of cardboard!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway - just some ideas ;)

You know it would be cool to have some carriers in a Privateer type game. Eather to land on when you are looking for a confed job or mabye a out of date model that the pirates have taken. Just a idea that poped in my head from the previus post.

And stealing craft from carriers would be funny and cool if done the right way :D , but it would half to be made very very diffacult or it would become lame.

Originally posted by TC
Actually, EA will look at game ideas from outside the company. Of course, the only examples I know of are people who have been employed by them in the past, so this isn't really very useful.
Well, yeah. There are still freelancer game designers out there (that Chris Sawyer guy, for instance), so it is possible to get companies to listen to you. But you need a) contacts who will actually listen and b) a good track record, so that your contacts can persuade the company that it's worth trying.

O.K. Since I forgot to put a time limit on this, I'll let it go about another week or so and we'll have the results.

TC said:
Actually, EA will look at game ideas from outside the company. Of course, the only examples I know of are people who have been employed by them in the past, so this isn't really very useful. Let's put it this way, if EA were interested in a Wing Commander game at the moment, and had the participation of everyone they felt was needed to make it a success, they'd already be working on one.

So, who are the people they feel they need "to make it a success"?

It could be done if you A: had contacts B: I really good presintation that caught the eye explained lots but not boring or long. C: And might not hurt having the fans of WC back you up in some sort of fashion. Companies like to see if there is money to made in ventures.

Bob McDob said:
So, who are the people they feel they need "to make it a success"?

Chris Roberts is, at least to a degree, one of them. Andy Hollis may or may not be another.

Grayson Burrows, the original Privateer, will return for Privateer 3! :D

I like the idea of a privateer 3 game, I just hope you do not need a nasa supercomputer to be able to play it!
Nice website by the way!
:D

IPhoenixI said:
Why not replay it?

Because (sniffle) My CD drive fried. :( And in order to run the 6 gig hard drive it uses too much lower RAM to be able to do any of the games that take 580K to run. I'm in the process of building a "new" computer. I got a guy who swears up and down that he can configure it to be a WC/Priv/Pacific Strike/Win 95/98/???/DOS computer.

I think there were a lot less problems when computers used to use DOS (after the teething problems of finding the correct drivers and setting them up properly) than under windows 95/98/98SE!
That is bad luck with the CD drive!!

Poulton said:
I think there were a lot less problems when computers used to use DOS (after the teething problems of finding the correct drivers and setting them up properly) than under windows 95/98/98SE!

That is bad luck with the CD drive!!

About DOS...I couldnt of said it better. Sure DOS didnt look as good and it took alittle time to learn the commands when you were new to it, but I never had any real problems with DOS that annoyed me like windows does.

I know how you feel Ripper. Last year I had my old CD drive litterly explode a cd in itself and screwed it all up.

Stupid windows cd...

Back