Priv - can anyone else help any further?

Ops, I just read Lori's large post on the 1st page. I thought she have a SBPCI64 but she just stated she has a SBPCI128. Am now not sure that my sound card setting will work because of the drivers.

Lori, see if you have the CD installation disk for the SBPCI128 card. Which logitech joystick do you have? The newer ones do not work with DOS. I have a two year old logitech digital extreme wingman which does work with Dos 5 and above. Logitech states that the new logitech digital extreme wingman does not support DOS.

Lori, see if you have this path on your pc
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
This maybe here your dos drivers are.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-30-2001 at 06:30]

Arggghhhh and boo hoo

I'm about to give up....stressed out, burned out and NOW it seems I have inadvertantly deleted my sound card!! Turn on my computer and it detects my NEW hardware (the soundcard) and it wants me to insert my soundcard disk. I don't have one....and it can't seem to find what it needs from the Restoration CD. Oh wow, what have I done.

I'm (let's hope) downloading the drivers for my sound card from Gateway. Man oh man....and some people say not to be afraid of computers....well, it's too easy to INADVERTANTLY screw something up.

Stinger, I did make a 2nd bootdisk w/your .sys and .bat but I got the same message as posted below.

I'll keep ya'll posted, wish me and my inexperience luck!!

Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by Wedge009
Oooh, you've got MPU-401! Be interesting to hear that if it ever gets running. MIDI just sucks.

Anyway, it's interesting that both SB16 and MPU-401 have an IRQ of 7. What sound config did you install Priv with? And have you managed to get 570Kb conventional memory?

The truth is, it doesn`t sound much better than the SB midi output. I have a GM compliant sound card (a Roland Sound Canvas, to be exact), and I couldn`t get any decent music out of it.

I just spend the last four hours on line researching the SBPCI128 card.
Creative lab europe site's knowledge base said that the dosdrv drivers should
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\DOSDRV\APINIT.COM
Lori, check and see if the APINIT.COM is located at the above location. I know it in C:\SOUND. You can also do a find files and look for APINIT.COM.
Also, do a find files for SBINIT.COM too. I know it's in C:\SPCI64.

I've got this from Creative lab europe site's knowledge base:

Run "APINIT.COM" to initialise the card for use in DOS 7
Run "APCONFIG.EXE" which will display the current SBPCI128 DOS settings
Run "APTEST.EXE" which is a diagnostic utility which allows you to test the sound (Wave & MIDI) functionality on the card.
The following lines (or similar) should appear in the system files:

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

DOSSTART.BAT
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\DOSDRV\APINIT.COM

A course the above setting are the default setting. Lori's Irq is 7 and she has a DMA - H7 also. The last line is talking about DOSSTART.BAT but you can see from this which dos driver she should using and it's location.
It's 5:00 AM PST. I need to get up in five hours so I am sign off till tonight.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-30-2001 at 08:20]

Lori, This is where your drivers for your sound card there
c:\cabs\WIN95-98\AUDIO\SB1373\
If you are still having problem re-installing your sound use the drivers here. Went the program ask a a disk use the brownse button and point it here. I am ready tried so I am going to log out now.

wow

Thank you John. I used SBPCI SBSETUP.EXE then used browse to c:\cabs\WIN95-98\AUDIO\SB1373\ and GOT MY SOUND BACK!!!!! Whew, major worry off my head.....THANK YOU!!

OK

I got my sound back. Interestingly enough, the files APINIT, APLOAD AND APTEST were NOT in my SBPCI folder before I reloaded my sound.....they are now!!

I did an APTEST and got the sound, it tested correctly.

Under CURRENT PCI AUDIO CONFIGURATION, this is what I got, maybe it will tell you something.

PCI HARDWARE:
port=1400, IRQ=11

Soundscape Emulation:
Base/MIDI_Port 330, Wave-Port=534, MIDI_IRQ=7, DMA=1

SountBlaster Pro Emulation:
Port=220, IRQ=7, DMA=1

MPU-401 (General MIDI, Roland MT-32/LAPC-1) Emulation:
Port=330, IRQ=7

AdLib Emulation:
Port=388

I hope maybe this information will tell someone something.

Thanks everybody.

ok

Autoexec.bat currently reads:

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI;c:\SOUND;
SET PROMPT=$p$g
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J201
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\SBPCI
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\SBPCI\APINIT.COM
LH C:\SBPCI\APLOAD.EXE
C:

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

When I try to run it with the SET SNDSCAPE...line, I get error message:

Cannot read config file "SNDSCAPE.INI"
PCI audio driver NOT loading.

If I put an REM in front of that line, then I get:

SNDSCAPE environment variable not found.
PCI audio drive NOT LOADING.

Must have something to do with the sndscape line and a variable or a path needed there???

ONE MORE THING

path C:\SBPCI\SBINIIT - Program Tab - Advanced button - PIF NAME: C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.PIF - set for MS-DOS mode - specify a new MS-DOS mode (as compared to "use current MS-DOS configuration")

config.sys for MS-DOS mode:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\windows\Himem.sys
Devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe

Autoexec.bat for MS-DOS mode:

SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS/TEMP
SET PROMPT= $p$g
SET Winbootdir=c:\windows
SET PATH=C:\windows;c:\windows;C:\Windows\CO
SET BLASSTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
loadhigh c:\windows\command\doskey

Tell anyone anything???

Lori, change the "SET SNDSCAPE=C:\SBPCI" to "SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS" if you ran the setup.exe it should have copy the SNDSCAPE.INI to c:\windows. From reading your last posting I think your sound card setting should be this.

LH C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM

The autoexec.bat and config.sys I made for you does work. The problem is the dos drivers for your sound card. The setting in your C:\autoexec.bat and C:\config.sys are only the basic setting, they wont help you play P1 in DOS. Don't confuse them with what I am giving you or you'll just get lost.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-30-2001 at 15:29]

Search your drive for SNDSCAPE.INI; make sure it actually is in your SBPCI directory. If not, then change the SNDSCAPE environment variable so it points to the proper place. For me, it's C:\WINDOWS, but I'm using a much earlier card from before Ensoniq and Creative joined up.

Stinger, if Lori can't find her SNDSCAPE.INI maybe she can use yours. I am using a SBLive P card so I don't have one. Yes, I am using it in DOS. I don't like these dos drivers but I just don't feel like adding a second card (SB16) to my system right now.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-30-2001 at 15:27]

I FOUND IT

SNDSCAPE.INI is C:\WINDOWS. Changed my config.sys to read:

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI;c:\SOUND;
SET PROMPT=$p$g
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM
REM--SOUNDCARDSTUFF--
LH C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM
C:

Still got the message:

MEMORY Original Current Used
'NEAR 30672 30430 242
'FAR 358972 337036 21936
'HIGH 7486016 7464592 21424

Your Privatter sound configuration is incorrect.

Please run install & change your sound configuration.

Program halted by code.

JEMM unloaded."

GREAT BIG MAJOR *****SIGH******

what do you think?

I get this running I REALLY owe you guys !!!! I get this running and dear hubby owes ME BIG TIME!!!! So what do you think I should ask for as pay back for all my blood, sweat, and privatears????

:eek:)

Lori, is your sound card working now? Are you able to play P1 now? Let us know whats happening. Lori, were are you? I am in California PST. I just what to know the time difference.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-30-2001 at 23:15]

Hi there

Nope, still can't play it, see my second post down... all my info is there. I keep looking, studying, trying to figure it all out, I'm new at what this is all about, but I'm a quick study, just a little too afraid of what I can mess up.

Thanks John, how did you get so good at all this? And Stinger, can you help any more?

I am in Pennsylvania. I saw your PST, so I thought maybe you were CA or at least west coast.

[Edited by Lori on 03-30-2001 at 23:14]

ME TOO

you have ICQ? Or netmeeting?? might expedite things if you think you might have any answers :eek:)

[Edited by Lori on 03-30-2001 at 23:25]

Back