Priv - can anyone else help any further?

Lori

Spaceman
Can't get privateer going - :eek:( Can anyone help me any further. Keep getting messages:

SBPCI environment variable not found
PCI audio drive NOT loading

Insuffient DOS memory available to run Privateer.

I'm at a loss and REALLY want to get the game going. Dh and I used to play it all the time, before kids & our new Gateway, and would really like to get it running again.

I really appreciate any advice!

Thanks

config.sysREM [Header]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 4092 /I=B000-B7FF
REM == PISETUP Begin Delete ==
REM == PISETUP End Delete ==

REM [CD-ROM Drive]
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD1

REM [MISCELLANEOUS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=200
BUFFERSHIGH=50
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
Lastdrive=D

REM [Display]

autoexec.bat

REM [Header]
ECHO OFF
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI;c:\SOUND;
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
LH DOSKEY

REM [CD-ROM]
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM

REM -- SBPCI128 --
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J201
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM
REM LH C:\SOUND\APLOAD.EXE

REM [Miscellaneous]
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:
cd privater
priv

First thing.
Privateer does not run under window or under windows dos mode.
So you will need a boot disk with old dos in it.

sorry

I forgot to mention that I have a diskette formatted, with config.sys and autoexec.bat copied onto there. Those files I itemized are from my A drive.

Thanks

In old dos I nean dos 6.0 and like, not the dos that came with windows.
That diskette must have in it the EMM386,HIMEM.SYS,COMMAND.COM,etc... of that a old dos version to run, otherwise you will get the same message.

Silly Dragon, Privateer works fine in Windows 95 pure DOS boot. :)

Originally posted by Lori
SBPCI environment variable not found
PCI audio drive NOT loading
I don't know much about these. Sounds like a sound card problem.

Insuffient DOS memory available to run Privateer.
Not enough conventional memory. Hmm, let's see what you've got...

config.sys
REM [Header]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 4092 /I=B000-B7FF

REM [CD-ROM Drive]
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD1
Try putting DEVICEHIGH for the CD-ROM driver.

Looking at the rest, I can't find anything wrong. As I said, I don't know about the sound card, but what conventional memory do you have free? It needs to be greater than what's specified in the Priv manual.

[After all the help John was dishing out, I thought you got Priv working. Oh well...]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 03-28-2001 at 20:50]

Is this telling you what you need to know?????

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS>cd\

C:\>mem

Memory Type Total Used Free
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Conventional 632K 76K 556K
Upper 0K 0K 0K
Reserved 0K 0K 0K
Extended (XMS) 65,468K ? 129,840K
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Total memory 66,100K ? 130,396K

Total under 1 MB 632K 76K 556K

Largest executable program size 556K (569,792 bytes)
Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

I thought I just had to do that emm.386 thing to boost more memory out of it. What else could be wrong? Sound card wise, I'm at a loss. John was helping me, we didn't get it working and he's not posted back. Think maybe I burned him out lololol.

I belive that Wedge009 "Windows 95 pure DOS boot" means that a old DOS version was installed before installing windows and he uses those devices (must be something like c:\dos\emm386.exe...) and not the ones that cames with windows (c:\windows\emm386.exe.....)
My copy of Privateer does not work with Windows 98 DOS, I get the same EMM386 memmory problem but older games that need the same thing work.

No, I do not mean that Priv needs a previous DOS version to run. I've got Priv to run on Windows 95 pure DOS boot several times. I dunno about Win98, though, so tough luck! ;)

Lori, I don't know if Priv needs more than 556Kb mem, but try posting what you get with mem /c |more, please.

Also, when you're in Windows, go to system properties (off the top of my head: Control Panel -> System) and go to your soundcard properties. Tell me what addresses and whatnot are there. Just curious, I had a problem with soundcard/networkcard conflicts on my comp a while back and it drove me nuts.

Hi there!

I think I can (at least) explain the reason for one of your error messages. :)

The "SBPCI environment variable not found" message comes up because in your autoexec.bat file there is no "SET SBPCI=..." statement. Looking at your original file (in your other thread) it should read "SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI". Add it right after the "SET CTSYN=..." statement in the autoexec.bat file. Reboot and see what happens.

You guys are sure testing my abilities ! lolol

I added the SBPCI line after the CTSYN line, i'll see what happens.

Is what the mem you want to see:
Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
MSDOS 16,000 (16K) 16,000 (16K) 0 (0K)
MTMCDAI 11,168 (11K) 11,168 (11K) 0 (0K)
HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)
DBLBUFF 2,976 (3K) 2,976 (3K) 0 (0K)
IFSHLP 2,864 (3K) 2,864 (3K) 0 (0K)
WIN 3,712 (4K) 3,712 (4K) 0 (0K)
MSCDEX 28,032 (27K) 28,032 (27K) 0 (0K)
vmm32 3,776 (4K) 3,776 (4K) 0 (0K)
COMMAND 7,440 (7K) 7,440 (7K) 0 (0K)
Free 569,808 (556K) 569,808 (556K) 0 (0K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 647,168 77,360 569,808
Upper 0 0 0
Reserved 0 0 0
Extended (XMS) 67,039,232 ? 132,956,160
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 67,686,400 ? 133,525,968

Total under 1 MB 647,168 77,360 569,808

Largest executable program size 569,792 (556K)
Largest free upper memory block 0 (0K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

I've had a continuous problem with a conflict on my puter that involves the scanner....but the scanner and everything works just fine so I havne't worried about it.

I'm not sure exactly what you want to see from my control panel/system, Wedge, so I'll just give you some info. I have a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D, 2MB General MIDI (lock MIDI Waveset is checked), a very long list of Driver File Details. Actually, under control panel, system for sound, video and game controllers I have 3 lines - Creative Gameport Joystick (we have a wingman), Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128D, and Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D Legacy Device. Info I just gave you was under Creative Sound Blaster Auio PCI 128D. Under Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128D Legacy Device some settings are:

DOS application settings (use the settings listed in this dialogue to set up DOS games for use with Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128D soundcard) -

emulation settings: Port 220, IRQ 7, 8 bit DMA 1, 16 bit DMA 7
MPU-401 settings: port 330, IRQ7
AdLib settings: port 388

Now I know these #'s have to be reflected in my set blaster=A220...line, but what means what?

Driver for the line Sound Blaster Audio PCI...line is: c:\windows\system\VMM32.VXD (CONFIGMG.vxd).

Resources: INPUT/OUTPUT RANGE 0220-022F
DIRECT MEMORY ACCESS 01
DIRECT MEMORY ACCESS 07
INPUT/OUTPUT RANGE 0330-033F
INPUT/OUTPUT RANGE 0388-038B

There are no conflicts. Gee, I sure hope all this info helps. lololol Thanks guys.

Time to clear this all up. Use the following settings with your bootdisk and it should work fine:

Config.sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD1

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI;c:\SOUND;
SET PROMPT=$p$g
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J201
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
C:
cd privater
priv

If you still have memory problems after that, you can copy PRIV.TRE and RF.TRE to your C:\Privater directory, modify the PRIV.CFG and RF.CFG files to point to the right place, and remove the CD-ROM drivers.

[Edited by Stinger on 03-29-2001 at 15:26]

Lori, Since I did not help you create this boot disk in the first place lets make sure you have a clean disk. First save the autoexec.bat and config.sys to a folder on you PC. Next place a disk in your A: drive. In My Computer right click the A: drive and choose Format. Select Quick Format a hit the Start button. Next choose Copy Systems files only and hit the start button. You now have a clean boot disk. Copy the autoexec.bat and config.sys to the floppy. Now try the disk. If the sound card works but you are still having memory problems then REM the "doskey" command from the autoexec.bat.

Lori, you can not run P1 from windows or from the "Restart to MS-DOS Mode" Windows require to much conventional memory. So please don't use the "mem /c" command I show you in these modes. Do it only with the boot disk. From this report you posted I can see that these files below should not be running from a boot disk since this files a windows base files.

DBLBUFF 2,976 (3K)
IFSHLP 2,864 (3K)
WIN 3,712 (4K)
vmm32 3,776 (4K)
and MSDOS 16,000 (16K)is running because you are in MSDOS mode.

Which shows why you do not have enough memory.
Please follow my instruction on making a clean Boot disk and use the autoexec.bat and config.sys I created for you. It should work.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-29-2001 at 20:10]

Guys, Lori has a SBPCI64 card. She has the drivers for this card in C:\SBPCI. First she did not know if she had the DOS drives so I did a search and found this web site.
http://www.spmicro.com/mp3sidekick/ensoniq.html
This site claims the the drivers for Ensoniq PCIAUDIO will work on the PCI64. I had her download this driver. Since the Ensoniq PCIAUDIO was the first card I own and still have lay around in a box. I knew how it should be configure. Below is how I believe the card should be set base on the info Lori provide and which drivers can she use. What do you think?

The sound card and memory is the only thing she needs now.
Plus from her other posting she may have done a manual install of P1 and may have made some change to the TRE files which maybe causing the memory error. I would suggest she delete the Privater diretory a re-install it using the boot disk.

-----Ensoniq PCIAUDIO---
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J200
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\SOUND\APINIT.COM

----or----

---SBPCI640--
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T2 J200
LH C:\SBPCI\SBINIT

Lori, I just notice the "I" (IRQ) in the SET Blaster line is defference on each card. Please check the setting again. To do this right click on the My computer icon. Choose Properties. Device Manager > Creavtive miscellancues Devices > SB16 Emuletaion. Choose properties. Select the Setting tab. Write down all the information you see.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-29-2001 at 20:07]

Originally posted by Johnl12
Lori, I just notice the "I" (IRQ) in the SET Blaster line is different on each card. Please check the setting again. To do this right click on the My computer icon. Choose Properties. Device Manager > Creative miscellaneous Devices > SB16 Emulation. Choose properties. Select the Setting tab. Write down all the information you see.
Hmm, I think that's what I was thinking of - IRQ and DMA settings seem to be different on different machines these days.

Maybe it's just my Compaq 486 (which doesn't seem to need sound drivers for a pure DOS boot) but I can get >617Kb conventional mem. Oh well...

OK

First off I want to REALLY thank you guys and ask you to PLEASE stick with me, I feel we're getting close and I'm praying. Without you, I don't think I stand a chance of getting privateer running!!!

I do know that privateer has to run from a bootdisk, not just switching to dos mode.

I formatted a disk (I do know how to do this) w/system files only. I copied my autoexec.bat and config.sys from c to a. I have copied the priv.tre and rf.tre files to privater on C drive. I have opened the .cfg files to notepad and changed the path to =C:\privater\priv.tre (and subsequent rf.tre). I installed privateer and set up the speech and sound cards.

SB16 Emulation Settings:
port 220 IRQ 7
8 bit DMA 1 16 bit DMA 7

MPU-401 Settings:
port 330 IRQ 7

Adlib Settings:
Port 388

This is currently how my .sys and .bat files are reading.

config.sys

EM [Header]

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

***** The only modification I made was the adde the lines:
DOS=HIGH.....through BUFFERSHIGH.

autoexec.bat

LOADHIGH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
REM [Header]
@ECHO OFF

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

I haven't changed anything on the bat file.

I tried to load privateer and this is what I got::

"MEMORY Original Current Used
'NEAR 30672 30430 242
'FAR 358972 337036 21936
'HIGH 7486016 7464592 21424

Your Privatter sound configuration is incorrect.

Please run install & change your sound configuration.

Program halted by code.

JEMM unloaded."

John, I don't know, but it seems everytime I have that SNDSCAPE line in there I get an error message: "Cannot read config file 'SNDSCAPE.INI"

Gosh, did I miss anything???? Let me know

.......thanks

Re: OK

SB16 Emulation Settings:
port 220 IRQ 7
8 bit DMA 1 16 bit DMA 7

MPU-401 Settings:
port 330 IRQ 7

Your Privateer sound configuration is incorrect.

Please run install & change your sound configuration.

Program halted by code.

JEMM unloaded."
Oooh, you've got MPU-401! Be interesting to hear that if it ever gets running. MIDI just sucks.

Anyway, it's interesting that both SB16 and MPU-401 have an IRQ of 7. What sound config did you install Priv with? And have you managed to get 570Kb conventional memory?

Lori, please read the whole message before doing anything.

Ok, guys. This is how I believe the systems files should look (I went back to my old DOS, Win3.1 books and the installation manuel for P1 to come up with these setting, though the FILESHIGH and BUFFERHIGH settings are personal pefferences). These are like the ones I am using but with changes reflecting Lori's sound card and CD-ROM. I am running win98. I used to use a AudioPCI card and these are the settings I used for it. Lori, the order in which things are loaded are very important. So just create your autoexec.bat and config.sys files and do a copy and paste.

-----------config.sys -----------------------

REM [Header]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM I=B000=B7FF

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=30
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
Lastdrive=D

REM [Display]

---------------autoexec.bat ---------------------

REM [Header]
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI;C:\SOUND;
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g

REM [CD-ROM]
C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1

REM----SBPC164----

REM [Miscellaneous]
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:
-------------------------

Lori, if you have the installation CD for your the SBPCI64 sound card please reinstall it. Also, do a find files for the "SNDSCAPE.INI" file. If you find it make sure a copy is in the C:\windows directory. If you can't find it than REM the line "SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS" in the autoexec.bat. Hopifully this will work. Let's not worry about the memory errors till after we get the sound card working. To test the SBPCI64 drivers use the SBTEST command. Also, the "SBCFG" Command will tell you what the setting for this card are.

Lori, if the SBPCI drivers don't work then try the AudioPCI drivers. Replace the SBPCI64 setting with this. Again if you can't find the SNDSCAPE.INI files than REM the
"SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS" line. The APLOAD.EXE is the tester command.

----AudioPCI Drivers----
LH C:\SOUND\APINIT.COM
LH C:\SOUND\APLOAD.EXE

TO configure Privateer sound settings:
From the C:\PRIVATER directory run the install.exe program to configure your sound card. For music use "Port 220 Irq 7 and DMA 1". For the voice use Port 220 Irq 7 and DMA 7".

Lori, if you wish after we get everything working you can add to the bottom of the Autoexec.bat the follow lines:

CD Privater
priv

But only after we get everything working.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 03-30-2001 at 04:02]

Back