Possibilities since fs2 source was released.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Time constraints, apparently. But I still think the explosions were better than the fly-throughable (yes, I know that's not a word) hulks that were left behind in WC3/4.

I liked those......

Perhaps if the hulks had been bigger and actually did damage to you when you hit them and didnt spontaneously eplode whenever you turned your back on them they might be better!

Originally posted by Wedge009
And WC wasn't good enough to dig the genre out? ;)

Prophecy sold fine -- Freespace 2, which came out *afterwards* promised to be the second coming and fell flat on its stupid toothpaste nebula face.

look i was talking about cap ships, also 250 devil rays is sweet but any of the fan made levels for SO with large fleets; you get one VERY bad thing... pop up, the way the draw themeselves is a strange yet bizzare effect, as if you cant see anything past this "invisible viewing cone", surely you guys must know what i mean, what freespace needs is a good WC story :D

I won't say what Freespace needs...its too rude:D

if multiple nav points could be added, take off and landing sequences, wc missiles and guns, fighters etc.I don't suppose it would be too bad, but thats an awful lot of work to do. It'd be like trashing a Vauxhall and then rebuilding it from scratch into a Mercedes.

that is all possible stuff, especially the nav points and ship meshes and weapon effects blah blah... besides get a big enough team together you can achieve much, look at what the guys have done with WCP SO and we are looking forward to unknown enemy.

Is there a multi-play WC mod out yet?
Don't knock Freespace until there are as many copies of Armada floating around as there are copies of Freespace. Then go ahead and flail away.

Seriously, there seems to be a great deal of resentment toward Freespace around here. Why that is, I don't exactly fathom. If its as horrible as some of the people around here claim it to be, then you'd think they'd let it rest in peace instead of loudly shouting to the whole world (or at least the message board) that "Freespace suxx0rs, d3wd!" From the way some people carry on, you'd think that it had single-handedly bankrupted Wing Commander, destroyed the space combat sim genre, and caused the downfall of the Free World.

Guess it maybe time to convince EA/Origin to allow WC Prophecy game engine goes open source too! They are not working on WC series anyway I suppose, and that will make a great series continue the legacy with open source and fan community.

Just post here that the Freespace 2 source code is downloadable from the 3DDownloads file portals, here's the link:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=159652

I thought Freespace 2 might have something going for it at first: Big capital ships, a pretty game engine and big fighter engagements. Thing is it was was hyped up too much, the keyboard system sucked, there was no story to talk of and the whole of it felt like Wing Commander 4 without the cutscenes, story or inteliigence. In another time and place, in another alternate anti-matter dimension, it probably rocked.

As for it being "time to convince" EA/Origin to release the source code to Prophecy, it ain't gonna happen. EA, good or bad, ain't stupid enough to release the coding to an engine that could still turn them a profit somehow.

A Multiplay mod is out-of-the-question without source code. LOAF or Chris Reid or Kris V could probably give a better explaination but EA programmers got the basic Multiplayer coding done but was forced to abandon it to make sure the game shipped on time. Evidence of the MP mode is found in the game script it's self: you know those little guns on the front of the Vampire on your Prophecy box? Those were going to be for shooting down missiles in MP mode.

Oh well. You still have Armada. :)

You are probably right, but aren't many WC team staff already left to work on Freelancer project? I once visited a website with a petition to call for Origin to allow WC go open source - similar to that for Quake engine. In any case, if Origin/EA continues to make new games out of that engine, of course it's out of the line to ask them to give away their revenue creating assets. But in my impression the executives at EA seem to give up most talented projects or staff from Origin already, as Richard Garriett (Lord British of Ultima) and Chris Roberts (also Erwin Roberts his brother) and many other Origin staff left EA already.

These two articles, though illustrated the downfall of EA.com, also mentioned a lot about what happened in Origin.

From Gamespy.com
1. When Kings Fall: Part I of II
http://www.gamespy.com/mmog/stratics/december01/stratics24/

2. When Kings Fall: Part II of II
http://gamespy.com/mmog/stratics/january02/stratics25/

Originally posted by Conrad
I was talking about cap ships... any of the fan made levels for SO with large fleets; you get one VERY bad thing... pop up
Pop up was so much worse in the RealSpace engine, I think Vision did just fine.

And you're not going to see 250 capship in a single region for some time - we were talking about trying to make a Battle of Terra mission before...

Well, gee, I guess there's no reason that FS2 was declared Sim of the Year... :rolleyes: No matter what you say, there are some great missions in FS2. I can agree that it's worse than WC4, but it doesn't suck as brutally as some claim.

Another game that didn't sell too well and was declared something similar to Sim of the Year: Independence War.

Of course Freespace 2 was the Space Sim of the Year for 1998... it was the *only* major space sim released in 1998.

I could be Time's man of the year of everybody else in the world died.

Winning "Game Of The Year" means jack sh*t. After all, did Contra, Legend Of Zelda or Rush'n Attack win those?

Originally posted by LeHah
Winning "Game Of The Year" means jack sh*t. After all, did Contra, Legend Of Zelda or Rush'n Attack win those?

There are a lot of people who still look back fondly on Zelda. Mind you, I'm not one of them, as I've never played any Zelda games.

LOAF - your date is wrong. Freespace 2 was released in 1999. That would put it in the same year as X-Wing Alliance, which would mean there was another major Space Combat Sim release that year, although Alliance turned out to be a fairly big disappointment.

AFAIK, up until now, the only WC thing that couldn't be TCed into the Freespace engine was nav points and afterburners. The settings could be tweaked to handle everything else - from guns to missiles to shields to turn ratios. Now that the source code is available, an enterprising individual could probably take the code, make the requisite changes to allow WC style nav points and afterburners, and allow for some WC style multi-play.

Originally posted by LeHah

Rush'n Attack!! Oh i loved that game. Contra too. I still have copies of them that i play regularly! ( i have 2 gold copies of Zelda!)

Originally posted by junior
There are a lot of people who still look back fondly on Zelda. Mind you, I'm not one of them, as I've never played any Zelda games.

you deprived little man.......;)

The Legend of Zelda is the best console RPG ever!! :cool:
Haven't played any Final Fantasy though... :eek::eek:

On PC, Fallout wins the title...

A life without Zelda is a life unfulfiled. I'm going through the N64 Zelda games for the first time myself, and am enjoying them greatly.

Rush'n Attack is badass, like Contra or NARC.

As for PC, Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault is pretty high, but then you have stuff like Tank Wars! for a 386 or Blade Runner for the Commodore 64.

Back