Possibilities since fs2 source was released.

Darkmage

Vice Admiral
I am very glad that this has finally happenned, we can now do ANYTHING, the first thing I would like to see done, is for some terrain to be added as well as wc style cloaking.

Sounds delicious! Hehe, Freespace returns to the mines. :) If someone has the Descent-ships converted, it seems we CAN have a new Descent-game! ... Wait, what am I on about? I don't even like that kind of game... Meh, whatever, it's still a possibility. Sort of. Never mind...

I say we etch it all into an enourmous stone monument on the mall in DC as a warning for future generations never to be so stupid again.

I'd rather see VS incoporate elements of FS2s engine than actually use FS2, I mean the collision detection was poor, the way in which texture resoloution was lowered in the distance was unpleasant, the briefings were appauling, they had no ground missions, no nav points, I actually believe VS is closer to being useable for a Wing Commander game than the FS2 engine.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...a warning for future generations never to be so stupid again.
With all due respect, LOAF, must you be so biased against FS? Not that I care much for it either, having not played it. Still, I guess it's your board, you're free to do whatever with it...

Originally posted by Wedge009
With all due respect, LOAF, must you be so biased against FS? Not that I care much for it either, having not played it. Still, I guess it's your board, you're free to do whatever with it...

Freespace wasn't just a bad space sim, it also helped drive the genre to its grave. There's no hell deep enough for that big capship bragging developer idiot.

I don't know what the deal with you guys is. Freespace was a good game. It's gameplay is on par with wing commander and the graphics and sound are superior. I don't think I saw any bad review for either freespace game. I think perhaps Freespace is not so much a bad game as LOAF thinks its a bad game, as do a lot of people here.

Please don't scrap the scab off the freespace/wing commander arguement as it has almost healed, or I may feel the need to bludgeon you repeatedly around the head with a boxed copy of both games

You like it, other people don't, let it go.

well im actually quite excited about this announcement, although i did only play thru a 3rd of Freespace 2 before getting disinterested :p, i did like the graphics and the fact you can throw around so many more ships than WCP ever did. im definatly believe that WCP was and is the better game, although its cap-ship explosions where the worst i've seen in a game. but surely using the FS2 game engine to create a new WC game is a project worth undertaking?

Oggy, I'd ask you to carefully read my message again because "you like it, other people don't, let it go" is the point I was trying to make, albeit perhaps not clearly enough.

we're already going through the freespace code pulling it apart, and we are going to see SOME benefits. the colision detection was fine, way better than VS's, we may even see multiplayer come out of the source. things like nebula effects, and engine effects will probably be used also. Vegastrike is by no means a perfect engine and has a lot of work left. the terrain collision detection is pretty poor right now. any help we can get with that will be great.

I dont see why this entire 'FS vs. WC' started. Ive played both game and both are individual. If every space sim played the same then THAT would burry the genre, not just a designer who likes big stuff. (compensating maybe... never mind)

You have to go to SpaceBattles to find out why, but I warn you going their can dangerous to your sanity.

Geocities is crap, they don't allow linking. To see your image Oggy, we have to manually copy-paste the link into our browsers...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Freespace wasn't just a bad space sim, it also helped drive the genre to its grave.
And WC wasn't good enough to dig the genre out? ;)

Originally posted by Conrad
...and the fact you can throw around so many more ships than WCP ever did...
WCP already has so many ships compared to previous games. And even now, HCl is working on expanding the number of ships at a nav point - apparently the current limit is 250. That's a lot of Devil Rays! :eek:

Originally posted by Conrad
...hough [WCP's] cap-ship explosions were the worst I've seen in a game.
Time constraints, apparently. But I still think the explosions were better than the fly-throughable (yes, I know that's not a word) hulks that were left behind in WC3/4.

well, I tried my best,

250 Devil Rays at a nav point.....
I'd like to see Maniac get out of that one.
(the Maniac missions could come off yet!)

Back