Possibilities since fs2 source was released.

Re: Re: Re: Re: FS2 possibilities

Originally posted by junior

The afterburner slide, and its vectored thrust cousins in the later games, are WC3's token nod to Newtonian physics. When compared to something like I-War, they're kind of embarassing, IMHO. There's just no real way to compare a WC afterburner slide with the real thing (I-War - Drop assisted piloting, turn off thrust - if any, spin and gun the targets as they shoot by while you maintain your original course and velocity, then turn the assisted piloting on again to make it easier to follow them).

It's not supposed to be incredibly newtonian... It's just a cool feature they thought they'd add in...

Originally posted by panther
The time I was specifically thinking of is in Prophecy flying a wasp. I accidently hit the booster, flew way past all the bugs, then had to hit the afterburners to get back to the bugs who were in a close range fight with the Midway.
I thought the whole idea behind the Wasp was to use the booster as soon as you had launched (after pointing your ship at the enemy first, of course) to engage the enemy before they get within striking distance of your carrier. The only time I can think of where you can 'overshoot' with the Wasp is the mission where you rescue the three civilian transports in SO (Friends in Need?). You reach the bulk of the fighters, but miss the first two Devil Rays.

Originally posted by milo
Does different equal bad?
No.

Can't remember the precise mission, but the bugs were within 5000 klicks on launch. I ended up about 30 to 45000 klicks out:)

That doesn't seem... right. AFAIK, Wasps were only used for interception of incoming enemies at a distance of well above 10000-15000 klicks. Or whatever distance the booster could take you before running out. If the enemy was that close (and what idiot captain would only launch fighters when the enemy was already upon the ship?) then I'd expect you to be in a Panther or a Vampire, or some other suitable fighter.

One of the coolest mission, is the one where you must intercept the Bug´s Capship Torp. with your Wasp and later go back to the TCS Midway ASAP because lots of Skate Clusters attack the Midway with their Torps.

That was a really cool mission. Sometimes protecting the launch bays could be a b*tch though.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I thought the whole idea behind the Wasp was to use the booster as soon as you had launched (after pointing your ship at the enemy first, of course) to engage the enemy before they get within striking distance of your carrier. The only time I can think of where you can 'overshoot' with the Wasp is the mission where you rescue the three civilian transports in SO (Friends in Need?). You reach the bulk of the fighters, but miss the first two Devil Rays.
Thats Funny i allways end up right near the Devil Rays

Originally posted by panther
Can't remember the precise mission, but the bugs were within 5000 klicks on launch. I ended up about 30 to 45000 klicks out:)

I remember that mission as well, I think there was a first wave of fighters that you would completely overshoot if you used the booster but then I think you could use it after that to get to some bugs further out

Originally posted by LeHah
That was a really cool mission. Sometimes protecting the launch bays could be a b*tch though.

Ooooh I hated that. (That and the landing bays too) All of a sudden the mission would just end if they were destroyed completely. :mad:

Originally posted by Soma
I think there was a first wave of fighters that you would completely overshoot if you used the booster but then I think you could use it after that to get to some bugs further out
I just find it odd that I can't remember this mission because it makes no sense to leave the booster on, given that manoeuvrability is hampered while it remains.

The taking out of those cap ship missiles was fairly easy, getting back to the Midway in time was a close call! That was the only time I used the SRB booster, to get back to the Midway ASAP after taking out those cap ship missiles. A wild ride!

The Wasp looks funny without that booster rocket! :D

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

Gosh, I didn't realize that WC fans' tastes were so (...I'm looking for the right word here...) specialized. I can understand people not liking Freespace because they couldn't get into the story. I'm just surprised that such subtle differences in gameplay between XW and WC would be such a concern. Does different equal bad?

Different styles of game can make a big difference in game play. The lack of an afterburner in the X-Wing games is, in particular, a fairly noticable change. The way the missiles work also makes a fairly big difference in the way the game plays out.
Different doesn't necessarily equal bad, but it can.

XWA is an excellent game! Although the lack of afterburner is somewhat of a non concern since no one else in the game has afterburner, except for one or two of those experimental TIE's, which doesnt do them any justice, it just means that they will speed their way to my gun sights quicker! :D

RFB
The Anomalies Network TEM forum moderator

Originally posted by Wedge009
I just find it odd that I can't remember this mission because it makes no sense to leave the booster on, given that manoeuvrability is hampered while it remains.

Maybe it's a mission where you have to totally screw up on the mission before to get this result? I can't remember, I'll have to reinstall and find it:)

Originally posted by Quarto
In fact, when you think about it, unless this happens, the genre will not become popular again. Space-sims, with one or two exceptions, have virtually identical gameplay. This thread illustrates that point perfectly - any genre where people hate or love a game because it has afterburners with infinite or finite fuel desperately needs change.

Well, I agree that the space sim genre could use some freshening up, but I don't believe that making everything into a watered down RPG click-fest is the best way to go. That's why Starshatter includes so many different game modes. I'm trying to create something that combines space simulation with real-time tactics in a fresh and interesting way, and still keep it as approachable as Wing Commander or XWing.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the afterburners in Starshatter work like the ones in Wing Commander, except they shake the camera like the ones in Freespace. :p

Well, I agree that the space sim genre could use some freshening up, but I don't believe that making everything into a watered down RPG click-fest is the best way to go. That's why Starshatter includes so many different game modes. I'm trying to create something that combines space simulation with real-time tactics in a fresh and interesting way, and still keep it as approachable as Wing Commander or XWing.
Oh, naturally... making everything like "a watered-down RPG click-fest" would not de-stagnate the space-sims, it would just move them from one stagnated swamp to another. What's really needed is for at least one or two companies to drop the "let's make it like [insert successful game here]" approach. I think there is some hope for this, since there seems to be quite a few semi-independent developers these days, and they're generally the ones willing to take risks.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the afterburners in Starshatter work like the ones in Wing Commander, except they shake the camera like the ones in Freespace. :p
Well... I guess Starshatter will be hated by everyone, then :p.

I just realised something:
Swing and jazz were mainstream entertainment in the 1940s... Jazz and swing have not enjoyed the same level of mass popularity since the ascendancy of rock music...
But they will again, same as with space sims! Think the bar music in WC1 and WC3, and Jazz's tunes (and callsign!). ;)

[Okay, so 600 years is a bit of wait... too bad. :)]

Back