Panic ensues in rush for cheap laptops (pictures)

Happy Camper said:
Well, I guess it depends what you want it for. It's also worth pointing out that a top of the range G5 mac with Logic 5 installed (64bit compatible) is one hell of a lot faster than anything for the P.C. right now. So if you use a mac for audio or graphics work, then I think the extra expense is justified. Anything else though, and your better off getting a P.C. and keeping a few hundred quid in your pocket.

Agreed.

Are there any new Mac-exclusive games?

Happy Camper said:
Well, I guess it depends what you want it for. It's also worth pointing out that a top of the range G5 mac with Logic 5 installed (64bit compatible) is one hell of a lot faster than anything for the P.C. right now. So if you use a mac for audio or graphics work, then I think the extra expense is justified. Anything else though, and your better off getting a P.C. and keeping a few hundred quid in your pocket.

Possibly but you could probably buy 2 PCs for the price of the top of the range G5 Mac...:)

I don't live all that far from Richmond, and happen to know someone who showed up to get a cheap iBook. After seeing the line, he opted out. There were only 1,000 iBooks being given away, and from what he was saying there had to be at least 2,000 people there.

He got there at 5 in the morning, mind you. There were that many people camped out two hours before the gates opened. Now he wishes he would have stayed, just to watch the carnage ensue.

Happy Camper said:
EDIT: Sorry, that was a bit mean. Can someone correct me please?

Most of the Blizzard games work on Macs.. and a small number of EA ones are ported over later.. I can't really think of anything else that's popular that they still do.

Actually, I think the reason for the pandemonium is well, Macs tend to hold their value extremely (startling, actually) well. A 4 year old PC laptop is probably worth $50 at best. A 4 year old Mac can easily still sell on eBay for 30-50% of the original retail price. And amazingly, people still buy them!

Let's see. On Ebay, I see an iBook 700MHz (probably 3-4 years old) G3 and it's selling for about $450. A 12" PowerBook, last year's model, is going for $1400, or probably 75% of its brand new price. Heck, the old "toilet seat" iBooks, which are probably 5+ years old, are still going for $200 or more. They do hold value. And I suppose, one could make a very tidy profit in this sale - buy laptop for $50, sell it for say, even $200 (quick sale - if you're willing to hold out, you can definitely also get $300, and possibly $400), and keep $150 in profit.

Frosty said:
Bungie and id games too, right?

Oh yeah, I guess. Bungie doesn't make games for the Mac anymore, but Gearbox ported over Halo. Same thing with Doom and Unreal Tournament.

Maj.Striker said:
Possibly but you could probably buy 2 PCs for the price of the top of the range G5 Mac...:)
Trying to record a band or writing a demanding p.c.s cannot be done on two p.c.s. There would be far too many syncing problems, not to mention actually using the two.

Happy Camper said:
Trying to record a band or writing a demanding p.c.s cannot be done on two p.c.s. There would be far too many syncing problems, not to mention actually using the two.
w.h.a.t.

maybe they hold their value well but is that cos they are amazing or cos they get better an a slower rate than anything else. I am not an artist or a musician looking to record my first album at home in my garage. My graphic designer uses a MAC to make things for us but she loses files when the one at work is better than the one at home and versions of the same programme wont open the file even a single generation later. She then claimed that she had saved the file as PDF so that I could show people on my Laptop. Sure it saved with all the text in one corner and a load of pics in 2 separate files, maybe it was just her who was stupid.

Can't help but feel the mac-pc argument is like which pet is better, dogs or cats. Sure a cat doesn't want you to take it out and it doesn't smell and on the whole feeds itself but then dogs are more loyal and love you unconditionally, they don't piss on the carpet and smile and don't claw you in the nuts when they sit on your lap.

Until Mac get more user friendly for the majority of people I wont have one and to stand in line for one for $50, in the land where prosperity rules and money talks is a silly. save up, buy one and watch how it goes out of date in seconds.

climber said:
Until Mac get more user friendly for the majority of people I wont have one and to stand in line for one for $50, in the land where prosperity rules and money talks is a silly. save up, buy one and watch how it goes out of date in seconds.
More user friendly? I always heard that a mac was the easiest thing computer related you could ever hope to use.

Games. Macs.
Communists. Fascists.
Creationists. Humanists.

These things just don't seem to be seen with each other that often.

Only in america will you have someone who calls herself Peace mother praise the word of peace at the presidents ranch in texas. *it was so funny its an inside joke between me and my roomate to call each other Navy Brother at work people think we are crazy*

Back