Panic ensues in rush for cheap laptops (pictures)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/16/computer.frenzy.ap/index.html

This is great.

A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl's stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd.

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,"' the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.

story.2.frenzy.ap.jpg

story.frenzy.ap.jpg

ibook16pc.jpg

ibook28ms.jpg

ibook30gw.jpg

ibook41fo.jpg

ibook59wc.jpg

I saw this on the evening news. I wonder if the woman in line pissed herself (in horror) when she realized she was getting an IBook

Time to make a comment about easy computing here.

The (newer) iBooks are pretty slick, as long as you can deal with MacOS (OSX is supposed to have matured well, but I've not seen it myself.)

However, for a 4-year-old schoolbeaten iBook... that's disgusting.

Why? $50 is a great deal even for a 4 year old Ibook, it seems a little extreme to piss yourself so that you can get one. Haven't these people heard of saving?

Happy Camper said:
Why? $50 is a great deal even for a 4 year old Ibook, it seems a little extreme to piss yourself so that you can get one. Haven't these people heard of saving?
No amount of saving can heal the scar that paying full-price for an Apple will leave.

Actually, for musicians and artists, macs are the prefered choice and supposedly much better than PCs. I personally use a PC because it what I've always used and what I'm most comfortable with, but most of my mentors and peers use macs.

Which is an excellent point. I'm not knocking mac...for the graphics industry especially they are the preferred tool of choice. I wouldn't use one but no one can deny their uniqueness. The price however...outweighs their advantages in my opinion.

And they get even more expensive (specially in relation to pcs) in here. It is really insane. It gets almost 3x more expensive. And a few wackos still buy it. Just because they think Macs are better. I'm not talking about animation or music people. All nuts.

Is it me - or have they all but ceased making games for Apples?

Maj.Striker said:
Which is an excellent point. I'm not knocking mac...for the graphics industry especially they are the preferred tool of choice. I wouldn't use one but no one can deny their uniqueness. The price however...outweighs their advantages in my opinion.
Well, I guess it depends what you want it for. It's also worth pointing out that a top of the range G5 mac with Logic 5 installed (64bit compatible) is one hell of a lot faster than anything for the P.C. right now. So if you use a mac for audio or graphics work, then I think the extra expense is justified. Anything else though, and your better off getting a P.C. and keeping a few hundred quid in your pocket.

Back