Paladin in the movie: not Scottish enough?

redwolf

Spaceman
I thought a person with a Scottish accent should've been used in the movie. At least someone with a more 'English based' accent.

On the flip side I could just be stereotyping the Scots, considering in the 700 years between now and the war, the accent would have probably been homogenised with all the other accents around the world.

Also, can someone please explain to me what the Navcom AI is and really what importance does it have? Personally, I think the game fits very nicely into the category of SciFi, but the movie seems to fit too much into the fantasy mould.

well, seeing as he has a scot accent (sort of) in the games he should have one in the movie. and scot accents wont change very much in 700 years. when your young you develop the accent of where you live, so unless half the scots are replaced by non scots, they will continue to have a scots accent. which can be bloody annoying, cos its the most hard accent to understand ever. (trust me i have scot relatives)

Well I must admit, one of my favourite actors in the WC games was John Rhys Davies. Even though not a strictly scottish accent, it passed VERY well :)

My other favourite actor is Malcolm McDowell...he just has that constant maniacal look on him. I think it's the hair. Even when he did Great Expectations on SouthPark he was great!

Actually, according to the WCIV novel, Paladin didn't have a *real* Scottish accent... (G)

The NAVCOM AI is a computer which calculates jump coordinates -- and it contains the jump coordinates already discovered. By capturing the one at Pegasus Station, the Kilrathi gained the previously unhad ability to jump to Earth.

I only heard of the novel,but I didn't read it (what doesn't mean,that I don't want to do). What happened exactly? Did they get the Computer back,BEFORE the Kilrathi hacked the code...or did they have to fight in front of earth against the Kilrathi?

In the movie, they (ConFed) get the nav computer back, but the kilrathi already have the jump cordinates, blair jump to earth and a snakier jump too, Blair manage to trick the snakier to its doom (a pulsar, or something) and send the location on were the Kilrathi fleet will jump on sol, kilrathi fleet is destroyed in the moment they jump in.
So there no battle, just a massacre of kilrathi ships.

Sounds as if you think this is a pity (that there was no battle)...I cannot say anything about this...(maybe next month,after I bought and read it).

He didn't had a scottisch accent. But everything in the movie is diffirent, so maybe paladin is of other harretige (french, dutch, german) ???

****posted by iCe
But everything in the movie is diffirent, so maybe paladin is of other harretige (french, dutch, german) ???****

Everything is new? Hm... No Paladin isn't of any other herritage, he's definetly Scotish... He doesn't have a Scotish accent because he never had one as given in TPOF.

[Edited by Earthworm on 02-16-2001 at 12:42]

are you talking about the book? because in the HOTT game his accent is definitely scottish. but i would agree that he hasnt got one. he dont have one in wc4, and the wc4 manual even says he doesnt

Yes but the fact is that, he seemed to have a French or Central European accent. Fair enough, you hire an actor based on their merits, but for the movie, I would've preferred a light Scottish possibly English accent. Much like John Rhys Davies (I thought he was great in Sliders....and Indiana Jones...such a versatile actor!)

That's beacause he's a "spy". He didn't really have a french accent in the movie, just like he never had a scottish accent. It's that simple.

Of all the replies, surely Earthworm, you must get the dunce award. The was the biggest load of bull**** I have ever heard.

It so very difficult for a spy to change his accent. Either way, why would he hide his heritage from Blair? They served together!!!!

I work in theatre. It really isn't very hard to change your accent.

Why is Paladin having a French accent hiding anything?

TC

If he never had a scottish accent (of all english accents my favorite, my least favorite is US Midwest like Minnesota/wisconsen accent), then why would he consitantly through all the games we see him have a scottish accent, that is one long false facade to put up, it might have been that even if that was not his originial accent perhaps that after using it for 15 plus years it became his normal accent and he had to think about not using it. Just a thought.

Originally posted by redwolf
Of all the replies, surely Earthworm, you must get the dunce award. The was the biggest load of bull**** I have ever heard.
The you probably never read any of your own posts...

It so very difficult for a spy to change his accent. Either way, why would he hide his heritage from Blair? They served together!!!!
At that time, Blair and Paladin bearly knew each other, and it's not difficult at all to change an accent.

Well you tell me mate, whats more likely, as Napoleon said, to keep an accent you've had for years, or to change.

As for changing accents, sure, you can change it, but can you keep it up for ages on end. Very unlikely.

In addition, I'd say that a Scottish accent would be especially hard to change. They just botched it when they hired the actor in the movie. REALLY botched it.

I know a couple of people who have used their accent constantly for weeks to get into character. After a bit it really doesn't take much thought at all.

TC

Back