Oxford & New Detroit Landing Platforms

it's simple really... pc emulation IS slow, but there is a good side, if you emulate dos and not a whole pc like dosbox is trying to do, the emulation speed is much faster. problem right now is dosbox is focusing on 486 and haven't properly started 386 emulation yet.

Well, I don't use emulators that much, so I don't know anything about that.

I thought the x86 line of CPUs were backwards-compatible. Meaning if they have the 486 working, 386 should too, shouldn't it?

Can't speak for the guy but I'm pretty sure he used MyJemm to get Priv to work in WIndows, and just used the Print Screen key.

so how many people just did what i did and killed every drayman in sight and pawned off the cargo? THAT was quick $...

-scheherazade

Originally posted by Bugrof PizzAnt
What program do you use to get DOS screendumps?
Originally posted by gryphon
Can't speak for the guy but I'm pretty sure he used MyJemm to get Priv to work in WIndows, and just used the Print Screen key.
Erm, no.
Originally posted by Wedge009
I actually don't use MyJEMM 'cause I can play Privateer fine in DOS.
I usually use an old DOS screen capture program called Screen Thief, but it doesn't work so well with Privateer, so I use PCXDump.

BTW, it's silly to compress 256 colour pictures as JPEGs: use PNGs - GIFs suck. Of course, JPEGs are preferable for large 24-bit colour pictures.

Originally posted by scheherazade
so how many people just did what i did and killed every drayman in sight and pawned off the cargo? THAT was quick $...
That's naughty. I was sneakier, I convinced the pirates I wasn't a threat, let them do my dirty work for me (ie kill merchants), kill the pirates, then suck up the free cargo for myself. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's naughty. I was sneakier, I convinced the pirates I wasn't a threat, let them do my dirty work for me (ie kill merchants), kill the pirates, then suck up the free cargo for myself. :)

I didn't even kill the pirates... they never tractored in the cargo, and once they are friendly it's so much faster to fly anywhere. Especially in Fariss and Humboldt.

Well, I like killing 'bad' people (Retros, pirate, Kilrathi), and it keeps my kill score up. Pirates make up the most in my kill score break-down. Admiral Terrell should give me another medal. :)

Am I the only one who always bravely turned his tail and fled?!

I got through the whole game on my Afterburner key :D

Maybe. I only ever did those endless afterburning sessions in the Tarsus. Oh yeah, and when plot missions dictated that I militia and Confed pilots would attack me.

Well once I realized nobody eve follows You when You run (except some scripted Kilrathi, hunters or pirates, and the egg), and that no matter what You can outrun them anyway, I just didn't see a reason to fight anymore, I'd just aim for my goal and afterburn away... They'd either disappear after some 15K klick separation or they'dbe out of guns range and I'd autoland at the base I was going to. The only problem was a jump...

Actually, asteroids would be quite a nasty hazard too. And missions usually give scripted enemies who would follow you into a black hole.

Besides, blowing up bad guys is fun! :)

*lol* Getting an asteroid in the face really disoriented me sometimes... But in fully stocked Galaxy I was able to survive mostly...When I learned the bob and weave technique it wasn't a problem anymore though... But I didn't really like getting into fights. Then again, I was probably the only one who was excited to finally be able to afford a Galaxy and begin my career as a merchant :)

I never learned the asteroid weaving thing - no matter what, an asteroid always found me. Fortunately, I can fight well enough in asteroids.

The Galaxy is obviously good for a merchant career, especially when pirating from other merchants whom pirates so willingly crack open for me. :) But overall, trading is nowhere near as profitable as doing a trio of bounty missions and/or patrols.

I do have a friend who enjoys 'retiring' to a Galaxy once the main game is finished, however.

It was tough for me too but after a while I found the groove, the movement that worked for me was up and down, and pretty slow... When I noticed the asteroids were adjusting to my new trajectory, a second or so after the "slide" was over I pushed over into another slide, but the main thing for me was to keep the turn itself slow.

I always liked that best, I found a very profitable merchant run that was very short and could earn me over 15000 in one trip... Add Merchant's guild missions and it's a quick buck nonetheless... I did switch to a Centurion in RF though, the emphasis was more heavy toward fighting then... And as Your friend, I retired back to a Galaxy after Jones was gone...

Just a note on the Virtual PC front.... a) it's a free 45 day trial which looks to be renewable, 23M Download though. b) Privateer runs fine in it however, It does seem crash when sound is enabled. Flaky sound emulation :( So I've been playing it with no sound.

Back