Oxford & New Detroit Landing Platforms

Originally posted by Wedge009
Don't know much about Freelancer. Can someone explain the running 'joke' about "not owning the place, but knowing the people who do"? Freelancer was set up in an EB store and that's all I got from talking to people. I also really hate the player character's drawn-out "uh huh". :p

Yeah, that's the joke. Freelancer has over 2000 unique NPC's with different names, affiliations and roles in the game. And every single one says the same damn thing. There's about ten times less speech diversity than the original Privateer.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Yeah, that's the joke. Freelancer has over 2000 unique NPC's with different names, affiliations and roles in the game. And every single one says the same damn thing. There's about ten times less speech diversity than the original Privateer.

No, there are two things... Silly Chris

A couple of them actually do own the place.

Privateer screenshots galore

Regarding the news update...

I didn't realise Privateer screenshots were in such demand. I actually don't use MyJEMM 'cause I can play Privateer fine in DOS. ;)

I have more screenshots I snapped several months ago scattered in my Privateer script. As I said before, my monitor at home displays stuff very dimly, so I brightened the screens a bit... but the ones at uni display stuff too brightly. :eek: Oops. I also tinkered with some of the pictures a bit to make them look busier... 'cause I'm weird like that. :p I also removed the cursors, of course.

Anyway, I don't have time at the moment to finish the script, so some of the pictures I have online aren't displayed yet (note the "last modified" date at the bottom :(). For those who care, here's the complete list:

Privateer intro
Steltek drone
Privateer menu screen
Navigation maps
New Detroit
Steltek artefact
New Constantinople concourse
Oxford University concourse
Oxford Library
Steltek artefact analysis
Oxford Library's Dr Monkhouse entry
Steltek map
Perry Naval Base concourse
Admiral Terrell's office
Steltek derelict (interior)
Steltek fighter
Steltek scout
Steltek derelict (exterior)
Righteous Fire intro
Gaea temple
Gaea temple destroyed (heh, heh :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Privateer screenshots galore

I didn't realise Privateer screenshots were in such demand.

Chris just likes having things to post... also, things that take very little thinking to write updates about :)

Re: Re: Privateer screenshots galore

Originally posted by TC
Chris just likes having things to post... also, things that take very little thinking to write updates about :)

Believe it or not, that still took like an 40 minutes to put together. Updating always takes much longer than you'd think. I had a midterm today, so there was no time to update last night. I grabbed a magazine in the hopes of scanning it at school to do a Blast from the Past update, but all the PC scanners were in use and the stupid Mac scanners were being stupid. So I ended up just pulling a couple things from my giant update buffer file between classes.

Don't know much about Freelancer. Can someone explain the running 'joke' about "not owning the place, but knowing the people who do"?
Happy to help.

The usual form of the line is "We may not own the place, but we have an 'understanding' with the people who do". The joke here is that the phrase is a euphemism for what happens when a crime boss strong-arms a business into giving concessions. Imagine Roman Lynch saying that line when you meet him on New Constantinople and you'll understand what I mean.

Originally posted by Delance
Very nice screenshots, Wedge!
Okay, I've dimmed them now, so they won't dazzle people anymore (especially Admiral Terrell's office!). They're probably still a little brighter than the original DOS screen dumps I made.

How do I delete files from the forum server? I should replace those Oxford and New Detroit landing platforms too...

Originally posted by Ijuin
The joke here is that the phrase is a euphemism for what happens when a crime boss strong-arms a business into giving concessions.
Alrighty, thanks. I take it the Liberty group or whoever they are aren't as clean as they're supposed to be then...

How do I delete files from the forum server? I should replace those Oxford and New Detroit landing platforms too...

Yeah, I noticed the other day that... well... you can't.

Uh, it's nice to have forum server space, but if there's time, could someone implement a delete feature, please? Consider this a formal request.

Alrighty, thanks. I take it the Liberty group or whoever they are aren't as clean as they're supposed to be then...

Yes. The "understanding" with the owners is normally something along the lines of "You let us do our business as we like and we won't make trouble for you. You interfere and we can ensure that you have a VERY bad day."

Originally posted by Flojomojo
Virtual PC costs real money. Has anyone tried running Privateer in Bochs?

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

actualy yes.... HCl did make privateer run in bochs with a patch... it also runs armada... and it works in linux/windows problem is same as virtualpc, you need a 2ghz pc to run it... ALTHOUGH Bochs is an unknown... noone has run ptivateer at playable speed in it... it might need more than 2ghz, I did get priv running, but it was too slow.

Originally posted by Darkmage
actualy yes.... HCl did make privateer run in bochs with a patch... it also runs armada... and it works in linux/windows problem is same as virtualpc, you need a 2ghz pc to run it... ALTHOUGH Bochs is an unknown... noone has run ptivateer at playable speed in it... it might need more than 2ghz, I did get priv running, but it was too slow.

Wait a minute, you need 2 GHz to run a game that was originally made to run on a 66MHz 486?! Isn't sixteen times the "original" speed enough?

Back